Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 07:32 PM
RE: Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
I cook nearly every dinner on the gas grill fast and easy.
We have a charcoal grill too but haven't used it lately, charcoal grills cost more. They do taste better if no starter fluid is used.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Gas.

Charcoal is a pain in the ass.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-04-2015, 07:41 PM
(19-04-2015 06:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 06:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't grill for parties but for dinner and gas is so much faster. In fact it's faster than cooking indoors. And I agree with Anjele - I can't stand the taste of lighter fluid and I can always taste it.

You can add chips to a gas grill too... And I do. I also like to grill on wood planks...

Lighter fluid!?! I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. We always use a chimney with newspaper and charcoals shoved into this thingy and then light it with a match. It's great.

[Image: weber-chimney-starter.jpg]

That's what I use, too. It's how I recycle my brown paper grocery bags Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
19-04-2015, 08:26 PM
(19-04-2015 05:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Living in Portlandia is funny. People around these parts don't know the first damn thing about how to barbecue. It's all gas grills. To me that's not barbecuing. Ya gotta have charcoals or wood chips or it ain't a barbecue. We're having ribs tonight since the weather is so wonderful. What's everyones favorite way to barbecue?

I barbecue two ways: I either use mesquite lump charcoal, or I use raw mesquite or hickory (or occasionally oak) wood.

I will be grilling a boneless New York strip over mesquite charcoal tonight, mushrooms sauteed in butter and olive oil on the side, and a salad.

Gas is for kitchenfolk.
19-04-2015, 08:29 PM
(19-04-2015 07:38 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Gas.

Charcoal is a pain in the ass.

Charcoal, every time. Actually charcoal with hickory chips soaked in water and placed near the coals. Yum. Never gas.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-04-2015, 08:29 PM
(19-04-2015 08:26 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 05:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Living in Portlandia is funny. People around these parts don't know the first damn thing about how to barbecue. It's all gas grills. To me that's not barbecuing. Ya gotta have charcoals or wood chips or it ain't a barbecue. We're having ribs tonight since the weather is so wonderful. What's everyones favorite way to barbecue?

I barbecue two ways: I either use mesquite lump charcoal, or I use raw mesquite or hickory (or occasionally oak) wood.

I will be grilling a boneless New York strip over mesquite charcoal tonight, mushrooms sauteed in butter and olive oil on the side, and a salad.

Gas is for kitchenfolk.
Drooling
I'm coming over. I like my steak medium rare.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
19-04-2015, 08:36 PM
(19-04-2015 06:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't like charcoal because I don't like the taste of lighter fluid. I simply can't eat the food if there is the slightest hint of it.

Here's the trick around that: Use only lump charcoal, never briquets. Save the small bits of charcoal from each bag, dump 'em in a five-gallon bucket or other bin, when you get near the end of the bag. When you're starting your fire, make a mound about 4" around, about 1" high of the small pieces and charcoal dust you've put in the bucket; it will act as a sponge to soak up the starter fluid. Put your starter fluid on that: that is your kindling.

Only after putting the fluid on the small pile, arrange the larger pieces atop it. Set them in such a way that the larger pieces have decent ventilation flowing through them; you will need good airflow to have a nice hot fire. At that point, light the dust/piece pile under the larger pieces which have not been juiced. Let the fire burn completely out. This will burn the starter fluid out, because the pile will act as a wick.

I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow in this thread, to make this a little clearer. But doing this, you will not have any fluid taste.

ETA: if you ever want to know how to start a fire, ask a firefighter. Smile
19-04-2015, 08:56 PM
(19-04-2015 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  ETA: if you ever want to know how to start a fire, ask a firefighter. Smile

Agreed. Had a strange conversation with a firefighter who was also an arson investigator.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
19-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Yes, it's called a chimney. Never use lighter fluid. Ew.

Barbecue is cooking slowly over low heat. Grilling is cooking hot. You can't barbecue with gas. Just don't work. That said, you wouldn't catch me grilling over gas either. Charcoal for grilling, charcoal and wood (I like about 3 parts charcoal to 1 part wood, depending on the stage of cooking) for barbecue.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
19-04-2015, 09:27 PM
(19-04-2015 09:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yes, it's called a chimney. Never use lighter fluid. Ew.

Barbecue is cooking slowly over low heat. Grilling is cooking hot. You can't barbecue with gas. Just don't work. That said, you wouldn't catch me grilling over gas either. Charcoal for grilling, charcoal and wood (I like about 3 parts charcoal to 1 part wood, depending on the stage of cooking) for barbecue.

Thank you thank you thank you.

What most people call barbecue is actually just grilling.

Next couple weeks we're going do to a brisket...it will take about 14 hours or more. Smile Depending on the size.

It has to be babysat too...can't let the temp get too hot or cool.

We have used 151 to light the fire. That was interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces