Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 10:44 PM
RE: Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
(19-04-2015 09:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 09:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yes, it's called a chimney. Never use lighter fluid. Ew.

Barbecue is cooking slowly over low heat. Grilling is cooking hot. You can't barbecue with gas. Just don't work. That said, you wouldn't catch me grilling over gas either. Charcoal for grilling, charcoal and wood (I like about 3 parts charcoal to 1 part wood, depending on the stage of cooking) for barbecue.

Thank you thank you thank you.

What most people call barbecue is actually just grilling.

Next couple weeks we're going do to a brisket...it will take about 14 hours or more. Smile Depending on the size.

It has to be babysat too...can't let the temp get too hot or cool.

We have used 151 to light the fire. That was interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

My husbands family is from South Carolina (so glad we live here in Portland) anyway years ago when his family vacationed at the beach they'd buy a whole pig from the butcher, cover it in aluminum foil, bury it in the sand with a bunch of lit charcoals, spend all next day playing in the ocean or sun bathing, then in the evening dig it up, eat it. It was amazing. It would be under the sand slowly cooking for almost 24 hours and the meat just fell off the bone.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2015, 11:15 PM
(19-04-2015 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Here's the trick around that: Use only lump charcoal, never briquets. Save the small bits of charcoal from each bag, dump 'em in a five-gallon bucket or other bin, when you get near the end of the bag. When you're starting your fire, make a mound about 4" around, about 1" high of the small pieces and charcoal dust you've put in the bucket; it will act as a sponge to soak up the starter fluid. Put your starter fluid on that: that is your kindling.

[Image: 2m85t94.jpg]

(19-04-2015 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Only after putting the fluid on the small pile, arrange the larger pieces atop it. Set them in such a way that the larger pieces have decent ventilation flowing through them; you will need good airflow to have a nice hot fire.

[Image: 6ntfdu.jpg]

(19-04-2015 08:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  At that point, light the dust/piece pile under the larger pieces which have not been juiced. Let the fire burn completely out. This will burn the starter fluid out, because the pile will act as a wick.

[Image: 2virnyt.jpg]

[Image: 2885xcz.jpg]

(19-04-2015 08:29 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 08:26 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I barbecue two ways: I either use mesquite lump charcoal, or I use raw mesquite or hickory (or occasionally oak) wood.

I will be grilling a boneless New York strip over mesquite charcoal tonight, mushrooms sauteed in butter and olive oil on the side, and a salad.

Gas is for kitchenfolk.
Drooling
I'm coming over. I like my steak medium rare.

It came out great --

[Image: 2ef7wg3.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-04-2015, 11:21 PM
(19-04-2015 09:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  What most people call barbecue is actually just grilling.

Having spent twenty years out in SoCal, I will confess that the two terms have become interchangeable in my speech. I almost always grill and very rarely barbecue.

But when I do, I make my own barbecue sauce. If you're gonna do it, do it right.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-04-2015, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 11:50 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(19-04-2015 10:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 09:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thank you thank you thank you.

What most people call barbecue is actually just grilling.

Next couple weeks we're going do to a brisket...it will take about 14 hours or more. Smile Depending on the size.

It has to be babysat too...can't let the temp get too hot or cool.

We have used 151 to light the fire. That was interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

My husbands family is from South Carolina (so glad we live here in Portland) anyway years ago when his family vacationed at the beach they'd buy a whole pig from the butcher, cover it in aluminum foil, bury it in the sand with a bunch of lit charcoals, spend all next day playing in the ocean or sun bathing, then in the evening dig it up, eat it. It was amazing. It would be under the sand slowly cooking for almost 24 hours and the meat just fell off the bone.

We used to be friend's with a Hawaiian couple that did that for special occasions.

Also had it at a luau in Hawaii. (tho, I gotta say when they pulled it out of ground and walked it around...it was kinda gross. Smile

I got some pictures tho and it was freaking yummmyyyy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-04-2015, 11:54 PM
[Image: enhanced-buzz-19993-1364127321-4.jpg]

When the baby fat runs down into the charcoal it causes too much smoke, that’s why I prefer "Baby” back ribs cooked on a gas grill. [Image: BVhAhdR.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-04-2015, 12:29 AM
(19-04-2015 05:57 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine ... It draws out the fat but seals in the flavor!!!!

Did you know they do in fact make a larger outdoor unit as well?

[Image: 14036_2.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-04-2015, 05:46 AM
If you want a piece of meat that tastes like it's dipped in kerosene -- by all means -- use propane.....

Blech.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-04-2015, 05:49 AM
oh.....

And something I seen at the store ---

They carry the "Blue Rhino" brand of propane (in 20 lbs bottles) -- and the company's logo is "It's more than just propane"...

Really???

What the fuck else is in it?? Chlorine? Bromine? Methane?

Jesus -- the propane makes a bratwurst taste bad enough -- I sure as hell don't want all that other shit.....

I want a brand of propane that IS just propane, thank you very fucking much.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-04-2015, 08:30 AM
I do prefer charcoal over gas but am OK with either for grilling (depending on the time I have). Over the winter I bought one of those pellet smokers and have been making some great ribs on it. The steaks I smoke until center is medium rare and then take them inside for a reverse sear in a piping hot cast iron skillet. They come out tasty and so tender using this reverse sear method.

http://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/w...moker.html

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/stea...teaks.html

Best BBQ website out there for the nerdy cook!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
20-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Funny people, using charcoal and some fuel to make bbq... Real man chop down trees and use WOOD for their bbq. And not just any kind of wood, the best one is holm oak, or Quercus ilex.

[Image: 2zspdnp.jpg]

[Image: 1447gna.jpg]

Bunch of pussies...

Tongue

P.S.

I know this is not a bbq, but it's even better and I didn't have any other pictures. So fuck you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post