Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 09:04 AM
RE: Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
(20-04-2015 08:51 AM)Filox Wrote:  Funny people, using charcoal and some fuel to make bbq... Real man chop down trees and use WOOD for their bbq. And not just any kind of wood, the best one is holm oak, or Quercus ilex.

[Image: 2zspdnp.jpg]

[Image: 1447gna.jpg]

Bunch of pussies...

Tongue

P.S.

I know this is not a bbq, but it's even better and I didn't have any other pictures. So fuck you.

Is that a dutch oven in the photo?

That's another thing my husband has done, is cooking with dutch ovens where you put the charcoal on the bottom and top of the oven. He did a whole stack of dutch ovens with chicken in one, rice in another, a veggie dish and brownies in the top. the neighbor campers came over to watch....and smell. They were fascinated.

[Image: IMG_4569.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-04-2015, 09:16 AM
No, it's old Dalmatian thingy called "peka", quite popular here. You put everything in a dish, then you cover it with an iron bell, of a sort, then you cover that with some hot charcoal, as shown in the picture. After one hour you remove the top part, stir things up a bit, put some more wine if needed (I always cook with wine) and you cover it up for another hour, or less, depending on the state of the food at the time of the first opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRmw2orSVEo

The original and the best peka is made of clay, but that can break very easily if you do not heat it up gradually, so most people use iron ones.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-04-2015, 11:07 AM
(20-04-2015 09:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's another thing my husband has done, is cooking with dutch ovens where you put the charcoal on the bottom and top of the oven. He did a whole stack of dutch ovens with chicken in one, rice in another, a veggie dish and brownies in the top. the neighbor campers came over to watch....and smell. They were fascinated.

That's fucking brilliant. Drooling

#sigh
20-04-2015, 11:43 AM
(20-04-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 09:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's another thing my husband has done, is cooking with dutch ovens where you put the charcoal on the bottom and top of the oven. He did a whole stack of dutch ovens with chicken in one, rice in another, a veggie dish and brownies in the top. the neighbor campers came over to watch....and smell. They were fascinated.

That's fucking brilliant. Drooling

My husband has a cookbook specifically for dutch ovens. Depending on what the dish is inside the oven, it will call for X amounts of charcoal bricks and X amount of time to cook. If you stack the ovens it cooks faster. The problem with camping with these things is that they are super heavy so we only use them in the backyard now. He would make all these fantastic deserts out in the woods. Brownies cook really well and something like a fruit cobbler is easy because if it turns out messy, who cares.

Camping with my husband was NOT a weight loss event.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-04-2015, 11:51 AM
(20-04-2015 09:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  No, it's old Dalmatian thingy called "peka", quite popular here. You put everything in a dish, then you cover it with an iron bell, of a sort, then you cover that with some hot charcoal, as shown in the picture. After one hour you remove the top part, stir things up a bit, put some more wine if needed (I always cook with wine) and you cover it up for another hour, or less, depending on the state of the food at the time of the first opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRmw2orSVEo

The original and the best peka is made of clay, but that can break very easily if you do not heat it up gradually, so most people use iron ones.

That's fantastic. I'm not going to show it to my husband though. He just might want to build that apparatus in our backyard and start cooking peka. Dodgy

20-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Interesting. Rev and I were having a conversation about this like a month ago. I want to buy a grill/bbq for my house but wasn't decided on gas or charcoal. So I think I'm going to get something like this:

Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill

But not that brand and not that price haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
20-04-2015, 11:58 PM
(20-04-2015 08:51 AM)Filox Wrote:  Funny people, using charcoal and some fuel to make bbq... Real man chop down trees and use WOOD for their bbq. And not just any kind of wood, the best one is holm oak, or Quercus ilex.

Bunch of pussies...

Tongue

P.S.

I know this is not a bbq, but it's even better and I didn't have any other pictures. So fuck you.

So, did your insurance cover it?
22-04-2015, 01:26 PM
From a flavor perspective I like wood chips hands down for my BBQ. But I don't dismiss gas grills either as they are very convenient turn the gas on and go type of deal.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
25-04-2015, 07:25 AM
(20-04-2015 11:58 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

Bunch of pussies...

Tongue

P.S.

So, did your insurance cover it?

What insurance?? Huh? Drinking Beverage

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-04-2015, 09:31 AM
I made a batch of jerky the other day that came out very well, if I do so allow. Tenderized skirt steak, cut into 1/2" strips, and then marinaded in a mix of teriyaki, pureed pineapple, ginger, cumin, black pepper, and sriracha hot sauce. Warmed over soaked raw mesquite, using lump mesquite coals as a starter, for about six hours.

Nice, tender, and just a little bite on the backside of the flavor.

[Image: 2nta0dt.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post