Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 11:46 AM
RE: Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
(25-04-2015 09:31 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I made a batch of jerky the other day that came out very well, if I do so allow. Tenderized skirt steak, cut into 1/2" strips, and then marinaded in a mix of teriyaki, pureed pineapple, ginger, cumin, black pepper, and sriracha hot sauce. Warmed over soaked raw mesquite, using lump mesquite coals as a starter, for about six hours.

Nice, tender, and just a little bite on the backside of the flavor.

[Image: 2nta0dt.jpg]

Yummmmmmm. That looks fantastic. I hate the jerky one finds in stores but this sounds great. I may show photo this to my husband......he does all the barbecuing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Gas, because of the carcinogens associated with charcoal bbq-ing. However, someone told me recently that there are different kinds of 'less offensive' charcoal, so...Consider

Be true to yourself. Heart
26-04-2015, 10:55 PM
(25-04-2015 09:31 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I made a batch of jerky the other day that came out very well, if I do so allow. Tenderized skirt steak, cut into 1/2" strips, and then marinaded in a mix of teriyaki, pureed pineapple, ginger, cumin, black pepper, and sriracha hot sauce. Warmed over soaked raw mesquite, using lump mesquite coals as a starter, for about six hours.

I just had a load of alder dropped off that I'm dying to use for some jerky. What temp do you shoot for?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
27-04-2015, 08:52 AM
(26-04-2015 10:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

I just had a load of alder dropped off that I'm dying to use for some jerky. What temp do you shoot for?

I don't use a thermometer. I drop the coal-pan in my smoker all the way down, load in tinder, and once that's going top with soaked mesquite or hickory. From there, I judge using my hand over the grill -- I should be able to hold my hand there comfortably. There's about 2 1/2 foot between the top of the coals and the meat.

I've never grilled with alder, so I don't know what temperature it burns at. Soaking will lower the temperature and increase the smoke volume.
27-04-2015, 10:15 AM

I do venison jerky most years. I marinade for a day or two in whiskey, soy, teriaki sauce and red and black pepper....

Then it goes on racks in the smokehouse for about three weeks, getting cold smoked each day.

edit to add -- and use apple and shag bark hickory for smoke.

Reasonably low in sodium, good taste... Put in seal-a-meal bags it'll keep at room temperature for over 6 months. (if you can resist eating it all).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Gosh, I wish I had a smokehouse ... <dreaming>