Barbeque/grill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Barbeque/grill
OK, I have postponed this for quite some time, but I think the time has come to talk about this very important subject.

First thing I want to reflect is the movies and the "American way" of barbequing...

Is it true that people in USA actually BURN the shit out of meat on open fire/flames, which is produced using barbeque gasoline or gas? The way they show it in movies? Or is that just the movie mistake that keeps repeating over and over again?

You see, here we take great pride in meat preparing and although you Americans consider to be great grill chefs, I have to disagree. In the Balkan region, we use a different approach to preparing the fire. First, charcoal bought in shop is rarely used. Gasoline is NEVER used, it is considered a monstrosity to even think that. I know there is special gasoline for grilling and setting up fire, but that shit is just wrong and you will never see someone from Balkan region using it. Or they are a disgrace for their people. Tongue

I like to build my fire, a bit of paper, a bit of twigs and when the fire start to catch up, I build it with larger wood. Then I wait for the wood to burn down and when enough charcoal is made, I separate the burning wood on one side and the hot charcoal on the other. The wood is kept burning, for the production of new charcoal and the rest of the charcoal is used for grilling.

This is the thing I have never seen in any movie, ever. They only light the fire and throw the burgers on the fucking flames. Nasty shit.

Now, most people reading this (that do not agree with me) will say "BS" and probably think I either made this up, or have no idea what I am talking about, so I will give you two links, they explain the whole situation much better than I would be able to do here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/dining...emityn.www

http://christinebednarz.wordpress.com/20...-business/

I hope you will read both articles and that we can then start the discussion about such an important part of every man's life. And some women's as well.

Cool

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
25-09-2012, 04:40 AM
RE: Barbeque/grill
Making a good barbecue is an art form.

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-09-2012, 04:44 AM
(25-09-2012 04:40 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Making a good barbecue is an art form.

I know, right?! That is why I started this. Now we shall see how many artists and how many posers we have in our community.

-Hunter S. Thompson
25-09-2012, 04:49 AM
I couldn't agree more about not using gasoline, btw. I don't know why anyone would even consider it.

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-09-2012, 05:12 AM
I guess it's not that common, but ... http://www.ehow.com/how_4703498_light-ch...grill.html

This is how everything is prepared wrong. Not only does he use charcoal, he lights it up with lighter fuel.

I've sen some movies where they pour lighter fluid on the already burning charcoal, on top of which burgers were grilling already. Now, I do not accuse people of actually doing this, I am asking is there anyone here to confirm that people are actually doing this?

The thing I forgot to mention is the type of wood used. You see, every type of wood leaves different smell/aroma on the meat, so that is why the store-bought charcoal does not seem so great. If it is soaked in some gasoline shit, the aroma can be only horrible.

-Hunter S. Thompson
26-09-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 07:50 PM by germanyt.)

Watch this Filox. BBQ is taken very seriously here.

I've never seen anyone use gasoline to bbq. Either propane or charcoal/starter fluid.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Could be the language thing, but I'll clarify for those who may be confused.

Filox has failed to differentiate between grilling and barbecuing. Barbecue is done with hot smoke. Not to be confused with "smoking", the barbecue smokes and cooks the meat at the same time. Some use very little smoke (clean BBQ) and some use tons (dirty BBQ).

Grilling is cooking over heat. Fish, for example, is best grilled since it should be cooked fairly quickly. Same with vegetables. Grilling should be done open air. If you have a lid for your grill, set it aside until you've cooked your food. It's handy for holding heat, but to grill is to bathe in a stream of radiant heat.

Sorry Filox, just wanted to make sure everyone knew what you were talking about.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Also, grilling something and pouring KC Masterpiece all over it isn't BBQ.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
26-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of applewood for bbqing. Partly because it's what's mostly available to me, but I do use others, and unless I'm cooking beef, I always end up deferring to applewood.

I've experimented with non-traditional cooking wood too. My favorite native wood is actually poplar! I never would have thought, but if it's well aged (best to age it without the bark) it actually adds a nice subtle aroma, especially for such a cold wood.

I really think choosing wood for a BBQ should be a very thought through process.

Just visiting.

-SR
27-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Stark, you are right, the difference between bbqing and grilling was lost to me. What I was referring was grilling mostly. I don't know if I ever bbqed as you described it, I would just use a lot of heat with charcoal and grill the meat. So there, that part is now more precise, sorry for the misunderstanding, even I can't know all the Engrish...

Smile

So, you are saying that people do grill normally, but the stupid movie makers never saw how real people use their grills? Did you people notice this fact in the movies? You see, this is the type of open flame grilling I can not understand and I constantly see this in the movies:

[Image: grilling.jpg]

This can only burn the outside part of the steak.

-Hunter S. Thompson