Barrel Inc. - Researching New Lows In Argumentation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: Barrel Inc. - Researching New Lows In Argumentation
My fiance's mother once told me that it's ok to think God isn't real but I shouldn't say it "out loud". Ummm ok? why is that? Well because God will hear and it'll hurt his feelings and theists will hear and it'll hurt their feelings. I get that but at this point I had known her for about 7 years and now she's bringing this up? I had even discussed an atheist essay I had written in college when we first met and she even liked it but now? Oh no no no, don't ever say there is no God! How dare you!

Of course, if this God exists in the way he's described in the Bible it doesn't matter if I say it out loud, he can read thoughts. I think it just bothered her to hear someone say it even though her own son says it all the time but I really shouldn't, ya know? Just in case?

I told her to be safe she should never say Odin isn't real or Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster ya know? just in case.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
05-01-2017, 01:13 PM
(05-01-2017 01:11 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My fiance's mother once told me that it's ok to think God isn't real but I shouldn't say it "out loud". Ummm ok? why is that? Well because God will hear and it'll hurt his feelings and theists will hear and it'll hurt their feelings. I get that but at this point I had known her for about 7 years and now she's bringing this up? I had even discussed an atheist essay I had written in college when we first met and she even liked it but now? Oh no no no, don't ever say there is no God! How dare you!

Of course, if this God exists in the way he's described in the Bible it doesn't matter if I say it out loud, he can read thoughts. I think it just bothered her to hear someone say it even though her own son says it all the time but I really shouldn't, ya know? Just in case?

I told her to be safe she should never say Odin isn't real or Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster ya know? just in case.

Invite her to your Wiccan wedding. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2017, 01:16 PM
(05-01-2017 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was watching one of the episodes of The Atheist Experience and a caller phoned in and claimed evidence for god and the Bible was because......

"Men have one less rib than a woman"

I'm not kidding. I wish I could find that episode.

I was told this, as a youngster. Of course, being me, I went and poked my unfortunate seven-year-old sister's ribcage to count, while I counted my own (I was ten). When I found no difference and went to ask, I was told that only Adam had one less rib. [Edit to Add: I couldn't actually tell how many total there were on either of us, not enough to get an accurate account, so I looked in my new birthday encyclopedia set. I had only confirmed that it was not the lower set of ribs that were absent in one but not the other.]

But it still stuck with me as odd that an adult in my church believed otherwise. And I remembered when other silly creationist claims began to not add up.

You kids and your counting up actual ribs dangnabit!

[Image: old.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-01-2017, 02:04 PM
(05-01-2017 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was watching one of the episodes of The Atheist Experience and a caller phoned in and claimed evidence for god and the Bible was because......

I was told this, as a youngster. Of course, being me, I went and poked my unfortunate seven-year-old sister's ribcage to count, while I counted my own (I was ten). When I found no difference and went to ask, I was told that only Adam had one less rib. [Edit to Add: I couldn't actually tell how many total there were on either of us, not enough to get an accurate account, so I looked in my new birthday encyclopedia set. I had only confirmed that it was not the lower set of ribs that were absent in one but not the other.]

But it still stuck with me as odd that an adult in my church believed otherwise. And I remembered when other silly creationist claims began to not add up.

I couldn't find the caller who phoned in to the Atheist Experience about the rib thing but Matt talks about this topic. He was told the same thing you were. He starts chatting about it around 2:30.

And I quickly checked some Creationist sites and they came up with the solution to why men have the same number of ribs as women now. It regenerated. Yup. It magically grew back. I'm not sure when this happened. I didn't want to hang around a Creationist web site to find out. The stupidity is just too much to take.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-01-2017, 02:07 PM
(05-01-2017 02:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 12:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was told this, as a youngster. Of course, being me, I went and poked my unfortunate seven-year-old sister's ribcage to count, while I counted my own (I was ten). When I found no difference and went to ask, I was told that only Adam had one less rib. [Edit to Add: I couldn't actually tell how many total there were on either of us, not enough to get an accurate account, so I looked in my new birthday encyclopedia set. I had only confirmed that it was not the lower set of ribs that were absent in one but not the other.]

I couldn't find the caller who phoned in to the Atheist Experience about the rib thing but Matt talks about this topic. He was told the same thing you were. He starts chatting about it around 2:30.

And I quickly checked some Creationist sites and they came up with the solution to why men have the same number of ribs as women now. It regenerated. Yup. It magically grew back. I'm not sure when this happened. I didn't want to hang around a Creationist web site to find out. The stupidity is just too much to take.

I like the fat jolly bald atheist.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-01-2017, 03:07 PM

I think it has come up a few times but here's one...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
05-01-2017, 06:01 PM
(05-01-2017 01:11 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My fiance's mother once told me that it's ok to think God isn't real but I shouldn't say it "out loud". Ummm ok? why is that? Well because God will hear and it'll hurt his feelings and theists will hear and it'll hurt their feelings. I get that but at this point I had known her for about 7 years and now she's bringing this up? I had even discussed an atheist essay I had written in college when we first met and she even liked it but now? Oh no no no, don't ever say there is no God! How dare you!

Wow ...

They are so cute when they try hard to be indulgent and pretend openness but when they eventually figure out you're not just "going through a phase" and aren't "coming around" like they figured you eventually would, then they try to get you to just shut the fuck up.

I am lucky; I deconverted in my late 40s and had infrequent enough contact with distant extended family that it took them until the past 2 or 3 years (I'm now almost 60) to figure out I was no longer believing. At this point my surviving brothers are in their 70s and too old and tired to give a fig. They just said, hm, too bad, and have returned to ignoring my spiritual status. And I return the favor.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
06-01-2017, 12:34 AM
A golden oldie from the dregs at the bottom but this thread could never be complete without Ray Comfort's banana.

Behold the atheist's nightmare!

And watching Ray felate a banana will never get old.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
06-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Barrel Inc. - Researching New Lows In Argumentation
From pops:

Quote: There are multiple reasons why belief in the One Creator GOD would benefit all life as a whole. Namely peace, prosperity and technological and societal advancement behind anything we have seen to date

Made me choke on my banana Smile
[+] 4 users Like ukatheist's post
06-01-2017, 06:44 AM
(06-01-2017 05:54 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  From pops:

Quote: There are multiple reasons why belief in the One Creator GOD would benefit all life as a whole. Namely peace, prosperity and technological and societal advancement behind anything we have seen to date

Made me choke on my banana Smile

Seconded. But honestly nearly everything what pops is saying qualify to land here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post