"Based on a True Story"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 01:45 AM
"Based on a True Story"
I'm so tired of these movies coming out claiming to be based on a true stories/event when we all know it's a bunch of bullshit. The question then becomes which part is the lie in these stories..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 04:11 AM
RE: "Based on a True Story"
(24-08-2012 01:45 AM)MidnightKat Wrote:  I'm so tired of these movies coming out claiming to be based on a true stories/event when we all know it's a bunch of bullshit. The question then becomes which part is the lie in these stories..

Safe to say that the woo is all poo.

e.g. any movie that involves exorcisms.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2012, 03:14 PM
(24-08-2012 01:45 AM)MidnightKat Wrote:  I'm so tired of these movies coming out claiming to be based on a true stories/event when we all know it's a bunch of bullshit. The question then becomes which part is the lie in these stories..

Yup it's almost a play on words. It's based on a true story but we don't know how much was added, twisted, manipulate, contorted etc.

The best thing to do is to read the story the thing is actually based on.

For instance "Fire in the Sky" (alien movie) is totally different from the story from which it is based.

But that's the nature of things being based on something else. They never tell you if it's loosely or strictly or moderately based. These days it's mostly loosely based on the actual story.

The people annoy me the most. They always think that something being based on a true story makes the movie accurate. That's not true.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Well that's the point of saying "based on", or "inspired by". I don't see why it's such a big deal. Now, if a movie claims that everything that transpires is a true event, I can see the issue.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
25-08-2012, 03:27 PM
It makes more money. When people see a trailer for a horror movie that starts with "Inspired by true events", it will get people's attention. All about marketing. Wink

It seems to work aswell.

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-08-2012, 03:28 PM
My favourite faux "based on a true story" was Fargo. The Coen brothers did it for artistic reasons... but too many people took it seriously.

I believe a Japanese woman actually died when searching for the hidden (snow-bound) bag of money.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
25-08-2012, 03:29 PM
A number of years ago I told a friend something like:

Know what the difference of based on true events and inspired by is? Here's the truth: A man walks into a forest. "Based on" stories have the man (or woman) walk into the woods and then crap happens. Inspired by has someone (something or a group of people) walk into something and then crap happens.
25-08-2012, 03:30 PM
(25-08-2012 03:22 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  Well that's the point of saying "based on", or "inspired by". I don't see why it's such a big deal. Now, if a movie claims that everything that transpires is a true event, I can see the issue.

I guess it's annoying at least for me to hear herp derp people say "It's based on a true story! These things actually HAPPENED!!!!!11111 one one"

I don't know if you have had the experience but I have. People tend to see "based on a true story" as events in reality.

Well at least that's what I get in Southern California.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I have a friend who never used to watch movies with this as it scared him too much... he has now come to his senses though. Big Grin
He sees how laughable it is to actually think they are actually happenings.

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I have no problem when they say, "based on a true story."

A lot of things are, all lot of those crime detective TV shows are as well. That's where they get the ideas; but of course, they will make things drastically different from reality to add up suspense.

The issue with Fargo wasn't that they said based or inspired, the film had the phony line saying, "THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred."

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson