Basic Aerobatic Maneuvers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Basic Aerobatic Maneuvers
OK. I had a few people on this site interested in seeing some of my aerobatic flying. I got a chance to shoot some footage in the plane and a couple of hours to edit it using Sony Vegas.

This is a training flight with a local CFI practicing the fundamentals of aerobatics in an MX Aircraft MX2 Unlimited category aerobatic airplane. Aerobatics is a 3 dimensional ballet in the sky and at this point I must admit to being a bit clumsy at it. That's OK as I've only logged about an hour in that MX2 and there's plenty more flying left for me to do in that bird.

If anyone is not familiar with the MX2, its a state of the art aerobatic aircraft; basically a supermaneuverable, slippery carbon fiber rocket weighing 1100lbs empty mated to a 540 cu. in engine pumping out 330hp. It'll climb at 3800 ft/min, has roll rates over 480 deg/s and is rated to a load factor of +/-12Gs!!!!! In the hands of a capable pilot it's a dream to fly and is becoming the darling of the Red Bull Air Races, airshows, and aerobatic competitions.

The video is shot using an NFlite HD video camera attached to my headset, so what you see is exactly what I see flying the thing.
What is not captured well on video is the sheer violence of the whole affair. Flying these maneuvers is like trying to thread a needle while an NFL linebacker picks you up and throws you around like a paper toy. You're alternately being crushed into the seat and smashed against the straps by the G loads (We pulled +6/-3Gs that day!). Competitive aerobatic pilots like Rob Holland or Airshow flyers like Patty Wagstaff are in physical pain while they fly those maneuvers. A mere 30 mins in that plane kicked my ass and nearly made me puke - and I NEVER became airsick in my life!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-06-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: Basic Aerobatic Maneuvers
(16-06-2012 09:39 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  OK. I had a few people on this site interested in seeing some of my aerobatic flying. I got a chance to shoot some footage in the plane and a couple of hours to edit it using Sony Vegas.

This is a training flight with a local CFI practicing the fundamentals of aerobatics in an MX Aircraft MX2 Unlimited category aerobatic airplane. Aerobatics is a 3 dimensional ballet in the sky and at this point I must admit to being a bit clumsy at it. That's OK as I've only logged about an hour in that MX2 and there's plenty more flying left for me to do in that bird.

If anyone is not familiar with the MX2, its a state of the art aerobatic aircraft; basically a supermaneuverable, slippery carbon fiber rocket weighing 1100lbs empty mated to a 540 cu. in engine pumping out 330hp. It'll climb at 3800 ft/min, has roll rates over 480 deg/s and is rated to a load factor of +/-12Gs!!!!! In the hands of a capable pilot it's a dream to fly and is becoming the darling of the Red Bull Air Races, airshows, and aerobatic competitions.

The video is shot using an NFlite HD video camera attached to my headset, so what you see is exactly what I see flying the thing.
What is not captured well on video is the sheer violence of the whole affair. Flying these maneuvers is like trying to thread a needle while an NFL linebacker picks you up and throws you around like a paper toy. You're alternately being crushed into the seat and smashed against the straps by the G loads (We pulled +6/-3Gs that day!). Competitive aerobatic pilots like Rob Holland or Airshow flyers like Patty Wagstaff are in physical pain while they fly those maneuvers. A mere 30 mins in that plane kicked my ass and nearly made me puke - and I NEVER became airsick in my life!

Good show, Bro. I love airplanes.... But I would never do that!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
17-06-2012, 01:54 PM
(16-06-2012 09:39 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  A mere 30 mins in that plane kicked my ass and nearly made me puke - and I NEVER became airsick in my life!

Goddam dude. Your constitution is far more resilient than mine 'cause I got nauseous just from watching for 2 minutes. [Image: barf.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-06-2012, 01:22 PM
(17-06-2012 12:53 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(16-06-2012 09:39 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  OK. I had a few people on this site interested in seeing some of my aerobatic flying. I got a chance to shoot some footage in the plane and a couple of hours to edit it using Sony Vegas.

Good show, Bro. I love airplanes.... But I would never do that!
It's OK. I freely admit that's on the extreme end of flying!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

18-06-2012, 01:23 PM
(17-06-2012 01:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-06-2012 09:39 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  A mere 30 mins in that plane kicked my ass and nearly made me puke - and I NEVER became airsick in my life!

Goddam dude. Your constitution is far more resilient than mine 'cause I got nauseous just from watching for 2 minutes. [Image: barf.gif]
You should see how it feels in the cockpit for those two minutes!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

18-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Two things that scare me: Doing all that below 4000 feet and maneuvering in the yellow arc. Smile
18-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Goddam that's some cool shit!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
18-06-2012, 04:35 PM
(18-06-2012 03:37 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  Two things that scare me: Doing all that below 4000 feet and maneuvering in the yellow arc. Smile
FARs require you to be a min of 1500 ft AGL for aerobatic maneuvers and these are pretty benign aerobatic maneuvers here, so we're safe. As for operating in the yellow arc on the airspeed indicator, an MX2 is built like a brick shithouse and is specifically designed to be flown at up to its design load limits of +/- 12Gs all the way to Vne.

Of interest, Va is generally calculated as

Va = (Stalling speed Vs) x SQRT(maximum design maneuvering factor)

For an MX2, that works out to be about 210 KIAS, well inside the yellow arc.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"