Basis for Atheist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: Basis for Atheist Morality
(11-02-2014 07:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Sounds more like a totalitarian dictatorship.

More like a totalitarian dictatorship than what?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 08:06 PM
(11-02-2014 07:56 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 07:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Sounds more like a totalitarian dictatorship.

More like a totalitarian dictatorship than what?

Well I don't really like this whole "system sustaining" thing. Usually it leads to majority fucking with the rest of the population.
Also system can become fucked up. It happened.
11-02-2014, 08:11 PM
(11-02-2014 08:06 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Well I don't really like this whole "system sustaining" thing. Usually it leads to majority fucking with the rest of the population.
Also system can become fucked up. It happened.

Oh, you're totally right about that. That sort of thing has happened. Hopefully the "subjective" portion keeps us from being total dicks to people.

That being said, do you feel that what I said is inaccurate? When you go to Taco Bell, do you feel the reason you didn't get stabbed is because the other guy is:
  • doing what Jesus told him, otherwise, your ass would be grass.
  • afraid of getting in trouble, otherwise, your ass would be grass.
  • not a killer.
I feel, most of us don't have it in us, and we like living a comfortable life enough to not want to upset that by rocking the boat. Besides, I've known too many Christians who are terrible people and too many atheists who aren't to think that "Jesus said so" is the basis for most people in the heat of the moment.
11-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I just don't think that sustaining system is the best argument for morality. Especially if the system becomes more important then the human beings. I like moral landscape arguments and fairness being beneficial much better.
I also suffered at the hands of the system myself so I don't put it above the people.
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
(11-02-2014 07:11 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Your friendly neighbourhood deist here. Been a while since I started a thread, so I have a question and I'm curious to find out the atheist answer.

What is the basis of atheist morality (or, is there such a thing)?

And, as a related question:

Is there any reason for an atheist not to steal from a stranger if they know they won't get caught?

Looking,

Are you implying that it is only the law of God that stops a theist from stealing or cheating on their spouse? Is there no compassion or love (apart from God) in a theist that would regulate their actions? If so, atheists can lay claim to those same emotions.

If not, theists are little better than automatons.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
11-02-2014, 08:41 PM
(11-02-2014 07:11 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Your friendly neighbourhood deist here. Been a while since I started a thread, so I have a question and I'm curious to find out the atheist answer.

Is there any reason for an atheist not to steal from a stranger if they know they won't get caught?

I will apologize in advance for being a bit snippy, but this is a point that just grinds me to no end. Suggesting that belief in God as having the monopoly on morals is nonsense, and honestly - idiotic. Answer this, if morality comes from God, why don't you stone people to death for minor offenses, own people as property, and damn people that don't agree with you to hell. I was taught by my parents, and society, the distinction between right and wrong - no god involved. To ask where do we get morals from is annoying, and to assume we would steal without the imaginary sky daddy watching is double annoying. Theists and deists - stopping asking this obnoxious question please when you know the friggin answer.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
11-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Its Trial and Error or whatever the current societal environment says that doesn't conflict with their own self interest or things dealing with situations they feel is none of their business.

Its a real simple question to answer.
11-02-2014, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 09:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Wow. Not-looking-for-answers strikes again, with more inane questions.
Try Anthropology 101. Get back to us after you get an education.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...ature&sm=1

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-02-2014, 09:30 PM
(11-02-2014 09:06 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Its Trial and Error or whatever the current societal environment says that doesn't conflict with their own self interest or things dealing with situations they feel is none of their business.

Its a real simple question to answer.

Yes. Sadly, this is inferior to getting your answers from a god who doesn't actually have a single word against having sex with children, or raping women (unless they're already betrothed; then it's fucking terrible). You should always set your moral compass to the guy who's more concerned with his name being used like a swear word then actual, living people being actually fucking raped.

YHWH: telling us right from wrong in a meaningful way since... never.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
11-02-2014, 09:35 PM
My morality, like yours, has its roots in what my parents taught me about how to behave around others. The rest. like everyone else, I figured out on my own through my own experiences and how others reacted to my behavior.

While there are no absolutes, and because I am human I have been known to deviate at times - my personal moral code goes something like this

"Don't be a dick"

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 3 users Like PeterKA's post