Basis for Atheist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 02:13 AM
RE: Basis for Atheist Morality
(12-02-2014 12:25 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  The fact that you cannot imagine anyone without your superstitions having any sort of morality is what is truly disturbing, NOTlookingforanswers. What you are essentially telling us is that the only thing keeping YOU from stealing, raping, murdering, etc., is your stupid fucking superstitions. That's a pretty gawddamn thin thread to be hanging your morality and ethics on, in our book. And, as we all know, as one who CLAIMS to be an EX-Xtard, you have presumably already cast off at least SOME of your silly superstitions. And there are many Xtards, like you CLAIM you used to be, who cannot envision YOU having any sort of morals without the belief you CLAIM you stopped holding, in the fairy tale monster YOU SAY YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ANY MORE. Time for you to connect the fucking dots and GROW THE FUCK UP, you arrogant idiot.

Jassus man Tongue Give the man a chance Wink This is a common assertion made by Christians, that atheists do not have any morals because they lack belief in God. As such, even though in hindsight it sounds silly, many who reject Christianity at some point will want to know if this is in fact true. As I see it he's not saying "I'm better than you because I have morals based on God", he is genuinely asking "If I chuck this God chap, where do I get my morals from ?"...

LFA, morals are just convention. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. Don't like the idea of stealing ? Don't steal. Like the idea of stealing ? Go ahead, but don't whine when you get caught Wink Society makes the conventions... All the Gods in the world will not stop you from being evil if you want to, likewise the lack of a God does not compel one to be evil.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-02-2014, 02:15 AM
duplicate post

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-02-2014, 02:35 AM
(11-02-2014 07:11 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Your friendly neighbourhood deist here. Been a while since I started a thread, so I have a question and I'm curious to find out the atheist answer.

What is the basis of atheist morality (or, is there such a thing)?

And, as a related question:

Is there any reason for an atheist not to steal from a stranger if they know they won't get caught?

A) this again really? Grow up.

B) basis of atheist morality: don't be a dick

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
12-02-2014, 02:47 AM
To keep it simple:

We are by nature social animals; therefore, (fill in the space) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
12-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Deist troll? Is this Triple T back to stir more shit? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Whats up fool. I see you're back again.
12-02-2014, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 07:04 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(11-02-2014 07:11 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  so I have a question and I'm curious to find out the atheist answer.
No you're not.. you just want to spew nonsensical anti-atheist garbage.
Quote:What is the basis of atheist morality (or, is there such a thing)?
The same basis for morality deists have.Drinking Beverage
Quote:Is there any reason for an atheist not to steal from a stranger if they know they won't get caught?
Why the fuck does that make a difference if the person is a theist or a deist?

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
12-02-2014, 07:17 AM
I already killed everyone I need to back before I reached the "age of reason".
Jebus still me likey.
Na. Na.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2014, 07:57 AM
(11-02-2014 07:11 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Your friendly neighbourhood deist here. Been a while since I started a thread, so I have a question and I'm curious to find out the atheist answer.

What is the basis of atheist morality (or, is there such a thing)?

And, as a related question:

Is there any reason for an atheist not to steal from a stranger if they know they won't get caught?

My basis for morality is identical to yours...

Even if you were a theist, would you really need an old book to tell you not to steal or kill? I don't, because of empathy.

Empathy is ultimately the basis for everyone's morality... Which is the result of an evolutionary process. Since being nice to one another is mutually beneficial to all concerned.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
lookingforanswers - Are you suggesting that deism has some more concrete basis for morality than humanism alone provides? That morality comes from some god who doesn't interact with the universe? Just how "deist" is your supposed god if you are suggesting that morality it some way flows from it?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post