Basis for Atheist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 10:58 AM
RE: Basis for Atheist Morality
I would like to know the basis for theist morality.

If it's the Old Testament, you're a monster.
If it's the New Testament, you're a nicer monster than most.
If it's the Quran, you're a monster, praise be Allah.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
12-02-2014, 12:02 PM
The fact that atheists try to answer this question shows that morality is more than can be found in the Bible. If atheists really didn't have any basis to their morality then they would reply that they don't have any moral qualms about doing all kinds of bad things if they can get away with it. It. They would not understand why it would be in their interests to lie if they were psychopaths. And some people regardless of whether they are religious or not will admit that it is only the consequences stopping them.

The fact that theists feel compelled to tell atheists that living a good life is not enough to get into Heaven and that they have to become a Christian shows that they already know that the Bible is not required to live a moral life.

The question of whether there is a basis to Atheist morality is asked to so that Christians can feel superior to Atheists.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
12-02-2014, 12:12 PM
(12-02-2014 12:02 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  The fact that atheists try to answer this question shows that morality is more than can be found in the Bible. If atheists really didn't have any basis to their morality then they would reply that they don't have any moral qualms about doing all kinds of bad things if they can get away with it. It. They would not understand why it would be in their interests to lie if they were psychopaths. And some people regardless of whether they are religious or not will admit that it is only the consequences stopping them.

The fact that theists feel compelled to tell atheists that living a good life is not enough to get into Heaven and that they have to become a Christian shows that they already know that the Bible is not required to live a moral life.

The question of whether there is a basis to Atheist morality is asked to so that Christians can feel superior to Atheists.

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Combined with the points I have already made on the previous page about the secular influence of morality upon the religious, it is often a source of frustration for me.

The conversation usually goes.

You can't have morality without God.
I can, note these examples where the secular world has abandoned religious morality and churches have begrudgingly had to follow to put bums on seats.
No, no ... you're wrong, but God, anyway LALALALALAAAA.

I normally consider that the end of the discussion and let the theist think they've won.

You could say, to keep the peace, I take the moral high ground! Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
12-02-2014, 12:30 PM
What's interesting to me is that many folks who oppose homosexuality do so on religious grounds, and they declare homosexuality to be immoral. Thus, I can say this with confidence:

I do not subscribe to the existence of any God, and I reject the concept of God as the basis of my morality.
I am straight because I am a man who is not attracted to other men.

They subscribe to the existence of God and accept Him as the basis of their morality.
They are straight because He commands them to be.

They may BE attracted to men, but they believe being gay is immoral, and THAT is why they choose not to be gay.

Therefore, I am more confident in my heterosexuality than they are, because my heterosexuality is based on the absence of any attraction to men, whereas their heterosexuality is based on what God tells them is okay. There is a greater likelihood of a religious person being gay and hiding it than there is of an atheist doing so.
[+] 3 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
12-02-2014, 12:38 PM
(12-02-2014 12:02 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  The fact that atheists try to answer this question shows that morality is more than can be found in the Bible. If atheists really didn't have any basis to their morality then they would reply that they don't have any moral qualms about doing all kinds of bad things if they can get away with it. It. They would not understand why it would be in their interests to lie if they were psychopaths. And some people regardless of whether they are religious or not will admit that it is only the consequences stopping them.

As a completely immoral atheist sociopath myself, the reason I lie about having morals, is I'm hoping I will somehow get hot women and free stuff by doing so. The reason I admit that here now, is because I want an extra dose of hot women and free stuff for being honest about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some raping and bank robbing to get to. Hobo

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 5 users Like toadaly's post
12-02-2014, 12:49 PM
(12-02-2014 12:38 PM)toadaly Wrote:  

As a completely immoral atheist sociopath myself, the reason I lie about having morals, is I'm hoping I will somehow get hot women and free stuff by doing so. The reason I admit that here now, is because I want an extra dose of hot women and free stuff for being honest about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some raping and bank robbing to get to. Hobo

Oh shit! That totally reminds me! The security cameras are down at Natwest and I spotted this girl who walks home from work on her own the other day! There's tomorrow's 'atheist activities' planned! Big Grin

Thanks for the reminder Toadaly, I owe you a pint! What would you like? The blood of an infant or rabbi?

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
12-02-2014, 01:04 PM
(12-02-2014 08:32 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Have you been somehow absent during this idiot's entire tenure in this forum or something?

Heh. Nah, I've had a few reasonably civil interactions with him though Tongue Sorry for barking at you...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
(12-02-2014 10:51 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  It's worth checking out some Sam Harris debates on the subject too Thumbsup

Or google 'superiority of secular morality' for a couple of talks from Matt Dilahunty.

Good stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
(12-02-2014 01:13 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 10:51 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  It's worth checking out some Sam Harris debates on the subject too Thumbsup

Or google 'superiority of secular morality' for a couple of talks from Matt Dilahunty.

Good stuff.

I have not yet checked those out. Thanks for the heads up Simon Smile

Im_Ryan forum member
12-02-2014, 02:40 PM
(12-02-2014 12:49 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Thanks for the reminder Toadaly, I owe you a pint! What would you like? The blood of an infant or rabbi?

I need more details on the vintage of each.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post