Bass?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Bass?
I own a halfway decent bass (Ibanez SR755) and played bass in a gigging band for awhile, quitting a few months after my first son Ben was born in 2011. But I'm really a guitarist and my bass playing sounds like it, lol. Any guitarist can probably get to a point early on where they'll be able to find their way around on a bass but it is a VERY different animal and requires a very different approach and it's NOT an instantly transferable skill set. Being good at guitar is no guarantee you'll have any kind of chops on bass at all. But if you're playing relatively simple rock stuff (like I was) where you're not looking to dazzle anyone with technique and you really just want to anchor the low end by playing mostly the root notes and holding the groove down it's an instrument a guitarist can become accustomed to. Bass-playing guitarists are blatantly obvious though, and a REAL bass player is a very valuable commodity and will always have work if they want it.

Here's a picture of my bass, if anyone cares:
[Image: Bass1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post
02-05-2016, 12:16 PM
(02-05-2016 02:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  There have been so many geniuses on each instrument, one cannot choose a favorite. A long time hero of mine is Charles Mingus. Not only for his playing and composition, but for everything else, including his touch, feel, choice of musicians etc. Danny Richmond, his long time drummer, being a case in point.

The one, the only, Mr Charles Mingus.

Mingus is one of my all-time favorite musicians. Great bass player, also more than competent on piano, and one of the greatest composers and bandleaders in jazz history. I could listen to his music all day. He had an ability that I've never heard elsewhere to make a small combo sound like a big band. I think genius is an overused word, but if there is such a thing as a musical genius, Mingus was one.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
(02-05-2016 09:50 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Any guitarist can probably get to a point early on where they'll be able to find their way around on a bass but it is a VERY different animal and requires a very different approach and it's NOT an instantly transferable skill set.

QFT. Doing my own demos, and learning the bass lines to Jimi's songs, taught me a valuable lesson: it's not about chops, it's about groove. It's great to have chops on the bass, don't get me wrong -- but if it ain't groovin' you ain't workin'.

As a bassist, you must live, breathe, and eat the pocket. If you don't know where it is, nothing anyone else in the band does will sound right.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-05-2016, 03:17 PM

[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
02-05-2016, 07:33 PM
I've done it a bit... Never live or with a band, but I used to play a bit for home recordings, got quite proficient at it too.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
04-05-2016, 05:45 AM
Playing bass is so relaxing.
10-05-2016, 06:39 AM
The smaller strings are interesting. ^^
10-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Bass players who plan to audition in LA. Only use a 4 string. The moment a 5 string is seen, you lost the gig.

I have this on great authority.

New york? I cannot comment.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-05-2016, 03:49 PM
(10-05-2016 06:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Bass players who plan to audition in LA. Only use a 4 string. The moment a 5 string is seen, you lost the gig.

I have this on great authority.

New york? I cannot comment.

Most bassists I know, only need one string... Big Grin

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2016, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 08:21 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I had no problems fetching gigs with a 5-string in SoCal, of course I wasn't auditioning for Hollywood twats.