Batman - An Atheist or Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Batman - An Atheist or Catholic?
Batman is whatever the writer wants im to be.

the perfect example of that is wolverine [from marvel comics] was an atheist until marvel comics was bought by disney and now he is a devout catholic/christian.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
As far as I know there are only two Catholic Marvel Characters one was Nightcrawler who I think they added an awesome Background depth him using it. The other one I'm not sure the name but I think she ended up being the first openly lesbian character. Not entirely sure they were thinking straight on that one but whatever.

In my opinion I think using the Catholic religion in the background is very good for serious and sombre characters as if any of you have gone to a Catholic mass you'd probably agree with me that compared to some of the fundie churches it's pretty boring. Also the art work in some churches can be very depressing, terrifying, bloody ect. Also the artist get to draw massive Gothic cathedrals which don't really suit the happy go lucky people.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Batman is an atheist or at least non-religious. He doesn't have time to deal with any religious BS. I watched multiple versions of batman over the years, and I have never seen him go to church or start praying or any of that jazz. Heck the fact that he is batman kind of proves he doesn't believe in god. If he believed in god he wouldn't run around risking his neck to stop evil, rather he would just expect god to step in.
09-03-2012, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 10:04 PM by Erxomai.)
(09-03-2012 03:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:01 PM)Thomas Wrote:  All you wanted to know about batman's religion and more.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Batman.html

Regarding the above website, I can't believe someone actually went to this extreme to discuss comic book characters' religions.

I shouldn't of clicked on that link. I could spend forever there looking at the randomness of data gathered to pick what character is what... I'm just glad I know can know there is a character, Bibleman and Biblegirl.

Odd they don't list the comic book character, The Atheist... who isn't an atheist.

Funny, earlier this week I was going to post something about Bibleman. I still might...beware!

I'm glad Thomas provided that link because otherwise I was going to write an extensive dissertation, but I'm pretty sure Bruce would reject any concept of a divine being.

But then again, he has had to battle a fair number of supernatural opponents. And you have to wonder if Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus Pits are scientific or supernatural. But I doubt that he would ever subscribe to any religion. He's a self-made man as a hero, so he would never bow to the idea of an overlord god, and he's too much of a playboy as his civilian cover to ever follow the rules of religion.

Yeah, I geeked out a bit when I saw this question. Deal with it.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-04-2012, 11:25 AM
(09-03-2012 09:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I shouldn't of clicked on that link. I could spend forever there looking at the randomness of data gathered to pick what character is what... I'm just glad I know can know there is a character, Bibleman and Biblegirl.

Odd they don't list the comic book character, The Atheist... who isn't an atheist.

Funny, earlier this week I was going to post something about Bibleman. I still might...beware!

I'm glad Thomas provided that link because otherwise I was going to write an extensive dissertation, but I'm pretty sure Bruce would reject any concept of a divine being.

But then again, he has had to battle a fair number of supernatural opponents. And you have to wonder if Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus Pits are scientific or supernatural. But I doubt that he would ever subscribe to any religion. He's a self-made man as a hero, so he would never bow to the idea of an overlord god, and he's too much of a playboy as his civilian cover to ever follow the rules of religion.

Yeah, I geeked out a bit when I saw this question. Deal with it.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been myeh...doin' shit.
The only time God appears in DCU is as the Spectre, "as God's wrath", but hell, The Greek Gods appear as active participaints in the amazon's lives. Which Bruce went up against hades. Wouldn't he be more likely to accept them rather than Jesus? Lol

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
29-04-2012, 09:28 PM
(09-03-2012 06:09 PM)AndreMB Wrote:  Batman is whatever the writer wants im to be.

the perfect example of that is wolverine [from marvel comics] was an atheist until marvel comics was bought by disney and now he is a devout catholic/christian.
This.

I'm a huge Batman fan (in fact, on most other websites I go by a Batman related moniker) and I think in most cases he's indifferent. He's very much a realist, rationalist, scientist, and things of that sort. But at times, depending on the writer and situation, I believe he has flashed moments of religiousity. I think it was in Batman: Holy Terror (an Elseworlds tale, granted) that he displayed several characteristics of Catholicism. But naturally, I would like to think that he's an atheist.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
30-04-2012, 05:41 AM
This kinda stuff makes my Gwynnie thing seem sane. Big Grin

Batman's an atheist, and Disney is a foul vortex of nastiness. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post