Batman is an Asshole...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 04:22 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Batman is an Asshole...

In summary, Batman's origin no longer matches the character. While Bruce Wayne was originally conceived as old-money without a day job, in order to keep up with the Justice League and cosmic threats, Batman is now Scrooge McDuck rich. He built and paid for the JLA space-station himself. Now in addition to being one of the richest and smartest men alive, he still spends his time beating up muggers and the mentally handicapped on the streets of Gotham City. I mean, most of the woes he's fighting against stem from poverty and disenfranchisement (how desperate do you have to be to work for the Penguin or the Joker?), both of which can more easily be solved with Bruce Wayne's near limitless checkbook than with his fists; leaving Batman as a kind of a sadistic asshole.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2016, 05:20 AM
RE: Batman is an Asshole...
That's the problem when your protagonist is without peer. You have to have bigger and bigger villains for him/her to have a hard time fighting - otherwise if a villain the same or lesser than a previous villain comes along, (s)he crushes him/her without breaking a sweat. So at the same time your hero has to become stronger and stronger. Until absurdity...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-01-2016, 05:22 AM
I never got superheros in general. I've always found them fucking stupid, especially Marvel superheros. However, I think some DC characters can be interesting such as Batman. But they're interesting because of the in-depth psychological twists and turns they do with the bad guys, not because he's a fucking dude dressed as a bat and goes around punching people. I mean the relationship between Batman and the Joker is fucking brilliant. Batman with his rule on absolutely no killing people and Joker with his fucked up mind trying everything to get Batman to kill him. I mean if Joker succeeds in his plans he wins and if Batman kills him the Joker still wins because he corrupts the Batman and the bad-guys win.
It's fucking gold. Why they ruin such character dynamics by smothering it in this 'superhero' shit to appease the retarded teenage boys who cannot appreciate the psychological game of chess going on between those two characters is beyond me. This is why marvel is so particularly shit. It's all superhero shit without the great stories and characters.

Anywho, what was the question again?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
15-01-2016, 05:26 AM
The "Throw Enough Money At It" school of thought has been tried before. Some people just like being brutes.

As for Wayne, never cared from him. I read my first Batman comic back around 1959, IIRC. Even then I thought he whined too much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 05:29 AM
(15-01-2016 05:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I never got superheros in general. I've always found them fucking stupid, especially Marvel superheros. However, I think some DC characters can be interesting such as Batman. But they're interesting because of the in-depth psychological twists and turns they do with the bad guys, not because he's a fucking dude dressed as a bat and goes around punching people. I mean the relationship between Batman and the Joker is fucking brilliant. Batman with his rule on absolutely no killing people and Joker with his fucked up mind trying everything to get Batman to kill him. I mean if Joker succeeds in his plans he wins and if Batman kills him the Joker still wins because he corrupts the Batman and the bad-guys win.
It's fucking gold. Why they ruin such character dynamics by smothering it in this 'superhero' shit to appease the retarded teenage boys who cannot appreciate the psychological game of chess going on between those two characters is beyond me. This is why marvel is so particularly shit. It's all superhero shit without the great stories and characters.

There is far more character traits and characters of that nature in Marvel than typical DC superheros. Like that's the large basis of things from Marvel's backlog is how their characters are often more attemptedly more directly human with flaws unlike more DC types. Sure the common marvel movies these days don't have a tinge of that, but in the actual stories it is there far more.

I don't see this as some sort of Batman problem unless you have some desire for him to be not a sadistic asshole. I always found that a strange notion to snide at batman for, really does spending all his money on his cave & technology really do good for Gotham opposed to spreading that technology and infrastructure on rebuilding the city?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-01-2016, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 06:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-01-2016 05:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 05:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I never got superheros in general. I've always found them fucking stupid, especially Marvel superheros. However, I think some DC characters can be interesting such as Batman. But they're interesting because of the in-depth psychological twists and turns they do with the bad guys, not because he's a fucking dude dressed as a bat and goes around punching people. I mean the relationship between Batman and the Joker is fucking brilliant. Batman with his rule on absolutely no killing people and Joker with his fucked up mind trying everything to get Batman to kill him. I mean if Joker succeeds in his plans he wins and if Batman kills him the Joker still wins because he corrupts the Batman and the bad-guys win.

There is far more character traits and characters of that nature in Marvel than typical DC superheros. Like that's the large basis of things from Marvel's backlog is how their characters are often more attemptedly more directly human with flaws unlike more DC types. Sure the common marvel movies these days don't have a tinge of that, but in the actual stories it is there far more.

I don't see this as some sort of Batman problem unless you have some desire for him to be not a sadistic asshole. I always found that a strange notion to snide at batman for, really does spending all his money on his cave & technology really do good for Gotham opposed to spreading that technology and infrastructure on rebuilding the city?

Roughly speaking, DC's big tent-pole heroes are far broader and more archetypal than Marvel's, who's claim to fame had been their far more human and flawed heroes; like Spider-Man (who got powers and his irresponsible use of them cost his Uncle Ben his life, all in the first issue) and the X-Men (stand-ins for the broad social upheaval and counter-culture of the US in the 1960's). Of course, a lot of that comes down to runs of individual writers or teams; different people do different things with the material to varying degrees of success. Frank Miller's take on Batman isn't the same as the original or current incarnations.

15-01-2016, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 12:43 PM by TheInquisition.)

You might enjoy Marvel's Jessica Jones series on Netflix. She tries to stop a guy that has the power to manipulate minds, he made her a sex slave before she finally broke free from his influence and now she's trying to work through that, but the dude is fixated on her and won't leave her alone as he kills everyone around her.

As a boy, I loved Iron Man's mythos, Tony-Fucking-Stark! who wouldn't want to be him? They did have a very famous series in the comics where he deals with alcoholism, he seriously fucks stuff up when he dons the Iron Man suit while drunk. Some of that series made it into the recent movies.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-01-2016, 06:44 AM
The "This Superhero is better than THAT Superhero" crowd is just as dumb as "MY God's dick is bigger than YOUR God's dick" people.

But, there's less of a history of it's adherents killing each other over the argument................

So it's got that going for it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-01-2016, 07:33 AM
(15-01-2016 06:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The "This Superhero is better than THAT Superhero" crowd is just as dumb as "MY God's dick is bigger than YOUR God's dick" people.

But, there's less of a history of it's adherents killing each other over the argument................

So it's got that going for it.

In other news, subjective tastes are subjective. More news at 11. Rolleyes

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2016, 08:00 AM
[Image: ani-sj_oba_chair_ride.gif]
[+] 10 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post