Battlefield 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 07:54 AM
RE: Battlefield 1
(14-05-2016 07:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think you could go back to the mid-19th century quite comfortably... There was an interesting mix of breach-loading, muzzle-loading, revolving and repeating rifles in the American Civil War, for example... Not to mention hand revolvers. Revolving shotguns also existed.

Obviously, the only automatic weapons would be basically stationary Gatling guns. But fuck that... I'm more interested in the history and tactics than just "wot gunz d'yer get".

But out of that list, the only thing that sounds appealing would be lever-action repeaters and revolvers. Muzzle loader? 2 shots per minute tops? That's super niche. That's why it's in a Mount & Blade expansion published by Paradox Interactive.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2016, 08:46 AM
I'll stick to Napoleonic Total War or Empire Total War then kay.

Though when I tried the American Revolution expansion and won Bunker hill as americans it crashed the game on me. Cool

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-05-2016, 05:25 PM
CoD Cowboys v Indians?

[Image: oscar.png]
14-05-2016, 06:19 PM
(13-05-2016 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gimmie semi's, bolt's, mustard gas, biplanes and large metal boxes with artillery guns please. You can keep your abrams and jet fighters.

I hear that. One thing that I think that World At War missed was bolt-only matches. Those things were so much fun but impractical against anything automatic.

(14-05-2016 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  CoD Cowboys v Indians?

You know that with a title like that, aliens would get involved somehow.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
14-05-2016, 10:30 PM
(14-05-2016 06:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gimmie semi's, bolt's, mustard gas, biplanes and large metal boxes with artillery guns please. You can keep your abrams and jet fighters.

I hear that. One thing that I think that World At War missed was bolt-only matches. Those things were so much fun but impractical against anything automatic.

Play Red Orchestra 1 or 2, it's the eastern front of WWII with Germany and Russia. So both army's primary infantry rifle is bolt action. By default, the servers have hard caps on other classes (SMG's, LMG's, snipers, anti-tank, etc.). Not only that, but the game does not have hit-scan weapons. All of the weapons have realistic ballistics (heavy recoil, bullet fall, etc.) and each shot fired has a calculated trajectory. This makes the automatics all a pile of ass and recoil, terrifying at point blank but hitting anything at significant range is very difficult and unreliable. Given the game's typical engagement ranges, bolt actions usually are the way to go; unless the map has the more rare semi-auto rifles available and a slot just happens to be open.

But even then, you don't have a accurate ammo counter on your HUD. Swapping magazine before your current one is empty putts that mag back at the end of your rotation, and each time you reload your character will remark on how heavy the mag feels (in German or Russian). Live long enough, and you'll be swapping in mags that 'feel light', and clearly aren't full. LMG's can overheat and be barrel swapped. Anti-Tank rifles need to be deployed either prone or setup on a ledge before they can be used. It's about as close to being a WWII FPS simulation as you could ever want, and it's very unforgiving in that regard.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-05-2016, 01:19 AM
(14-05-2016 06:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

(14-05-2016 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  CoD Cowboys v Indians?

Of course, all the cowboys having exo suits wouldn't make sense otherwise...

[Image: oscar.png]
15-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Fuck it, CoD edo period.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
15-05-2016, 01:53 AM
(15-05-2016 01:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 06:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I hear that. One thing that I think that World At War missed was bolt-only matches. Those things were so much fun but impractical against anything automatic.

Of course, all the cowboys having exo suits wouldn't make sense otherwise...

Fuck it, just give us Timsplitters 4 already, so you can have a Cowboy gun down a T-Rex before they're both destroyed by a Gingerbread Man, a Mime, a Snowman on a flying carpet, a Chimp, and a 70's Super Spy.

Timepslitters is fucking insane, and I loved it.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

15-05-2016, 06:59 AM
(14-05-2016 10:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 06:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I hear that. One thing that I think that World At War missed was bolt-only matches. Those things were so much fun but impractical against anything automatic.

Play Red Orchestra 1 or 2, it's the eastern front of WWII with Germany and Russia. So both army's primary infantry rifle is bolt action. By default, the servers have hard caps on other classes (SMG's, LMG's, snipers, anti-tank, etc.). Not only that, but the game does not have hit-scan weapons. All of the weapons have realistic ballistics (heavy recoil, bullet fall, etc.) and each shot fired has a calculated trajectory. This makes the automatics all a pile of ass and recoil, terrifying at point blank but hitting anything at significant range is very difficult and unreliable. Given the game's typical engagement ranges, bolt actions usually are the way to go; unless the map has the more rare semi-auto rifles available and a slot just happens to be open.

But even then, you don't have a accurate ammo counter on your HUD. Swapping magazine before your current one is empty putts that mag back at the end of your rotation, and each time you reload your character will remark on how heavy the mag feels (in German or Russian). Live long enough, and you'll be swapping in mags that 'feel light', and clearly aren't full. LMG's can overheat and be barrel swapped. Anti-Tank rifles need to be deployed either prone or setup on a ledge before they can be used. It's about as close to being a WWII FPS simulation as you could ever want, and it's very unforgiving in that regard.

I will have to check that out. It has been a while since I played FPS. Which is saying something since I played every BF, MOH, and COD until BO2 pissed me off so much I stopped all together.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
15-05-2016, 07:02 PM
(14-05-2016 07:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 07:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think you could go back to the mid-19th century quite comfortably... There was an interesting mix of breach-loading, muzzle-loading, revolving and repeating rifles in the American Civil War, for example... Not to mention hand revolvers. Revolving shotguns also existed.

Obviously, the only automatic weapons would be basically stationary Gatling guns. But fuck that... I'm more interested in the history and tactics than just "wot gunz d'yer get".

But out of that list, the only thing that sounds appealing would be lever-action repeaters and revolvers. Muzzle loader? 2 shots per minute tops? That's super niche. That's why it's in a Mount & Blade expansion published by Paradox Interactive.

Maybe it doesn't appeal to you, but I think it would be interesting. You'd have to choose your shots carefully, and actually aim (modern players might not be able to comprehend such a concept). Take cover and work as a team to suppress a position, instead of running round like a wanker.

But, judging by what I've read today about classes in BF1, the focus is going to be mainly on automatic weapons. Which pisses me off quite a bit... Plus the campaign is going to be just 6 missions.

I think I'll get Verdun instead.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user