Be careful in whom you confide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Be careful in whom you confide
I live in a fairly accepting area (Seattle) and I don't even bring it up except for with people I trust. NEVER at work, or with just acquaintances that's for sure.

That being said, my facebook "religious" status has said "atheist" since I created my facebook back in 2006. So if anybody who is my facebook friend cares to look, there it is. Of course this information is hidden from public view.

For strangers and coleagues, I don't bring it up because I don't want to be judged or have any negative stigma unnecessarilly. For friends, I usually don't bring it up because I don't want them to feel attacked. Most (90%+) of my friends are religious.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:19 PM
(04-12-2013 07:00 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  That is sad to hear mitch.
I was training this guy at work the other day, and he asked me straight up: what religion are you?
I said "atheist". It was the first time I've said it out loud.
He was floored that I said I was an atheist. I thought he was gay, but it turns out he has a wife and is quite religious (my gaydar is horrible) He spent a bunch of time trying to convert me and threw all the subjective stuff for me to try, and I would "know God is real". Turns out he got fired the same day within a few hours. It was funny/sad that his deity couldnt help him keep his job.
I live in a very liberal city where its ok to say it. I feel for you comrades in the south/midwest.

Was he fired because of it?
Did other colleagues overhear and report it? Or was there something else?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
11-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I live in an area where it is still very taboo to not be an orthodox Christian who regularly attends church.

(Quick back story: Just yesterday there was huge comment fight on my coworker's facebook wall because he was invited to someone's church, and declined. He cited a disrespect for organized religion as the reason. He actually IS Christian and was still jumped for not contributing to/attending a local church. 'Nuff said.)

But anyway, I feel your pain. This was actually a very kind makeshift public service announcement. Thank you! Big Grin It is fucked-to-the-up that we live in a society where people are judged on their religious affiliations and not their actions or contributions to society. I can only hope that one day this situation flips a 180.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days