Be gentle, it's my first time.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Be gentle, it's my first time.
Okay so that's sort of a lie. It's not my first time on a forum, it has just been several years. There is a specific reason why I have joined here and I will make a specific thread for that, so I will mainly use this thread to explain about myself I guess.

I was born and raised Christian, in America. Born in Alaska, but I've lived all across the country. My most recent home being Las Vegas (until I moved to Abu Dhabi). Going to high school in a small town in Ohio was pretty reinforcing of my beliefs at the time, I only had one atheist friend. The kind who always has to complain and whine every time they hear someone mention God or the like, I'm sure you know the type. Eh, I'm even sure some of you here may be the type, haha. No worries though.

Well, right before my senior year of high school, around midnight, I was sitting in a chair on a laptop and just thinking about things. When all of a sudden, like a freight train, every single thing that was wrong with religion "clicked". I don't really have any other way to describe it, I just suddenly, and violently, ripped myself out of my own beliefs. I was a little worried for a couple different reasons.

How could I worship a God that called himself loving but let so many unjustified killings and deaths go?
How did we get here, if not through an eternal creator?
How could I tell my family; how would they react?

I rejected atheism initially due to my limited (and negative) interactions with atheists. Perhaps to help me recover from the sudden mental shock of self-annihilating my entire belief system, I opted to take a purely agnostic point of view. I did not know everything, and would not claim that God was not real. But I could no longer worship this deity people have the gall to call merciful, just, and love.

In a way, I guess I am still there. I mean, I really CAN'T say with any certainty that "there is no God". I don't think ANYONE can. But I think those here can at least agree that a God is unnecessary. We don't need one to explain our world, or who we are, or give us purpose. He doesn't NEED to exist at all, even if he does. So I guess I'm an Agnostic Atheist, who leans slightly more towards agnosticism than atheism? I guess it's not really important.

It's only recently, within the latter half of the past year, that I truly began researching, and learning, about WHY God was unnecessary. About all the things we DO know. About the things we DON'T know, the things we may NEVER know. And why we still wouldn't need a God to explain them.

To this day I still haven't told my family. If I did tell them, I would want to take them away from what they believe. I would want to free them. But it's not a battle I'm equipped to fight. I'm not even sure it's one I can win. But I love my family and religion could never stop me from doing so. And I already know that it wouldn't stop them from loving me back. The only thing holding me back from telling them, is me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
RE: Be gentle, it's my first time.
(03-03-2013 10:17 AM)ExAstra Wrote:  Okay so that's sort of a lie. It's not my first time on a forum, it has just been several years. There is a specific reason why I have joined here and I will make a specific thread for that, so I will mainly use this thread to explain about myself I guess.

I was born and raised Christian, in America. Born in Alaska, but I've lived all across the country. My most recent home being Las Vegas (until I moved to Abu Dhabi). Going to high school in a small town in Ohio was pretty reinforcing of my beliefs at the time, I only had one atheist friend. The kind who always has to complain and whine every time they hear someone mention God or the like, I'm sure you know the type. Eh, I'm even sure some of you here may be the type, haha. No worries though.

Well, right before my senior year of high school, around midnight, I was sitting in a chair on a laptop and just thinking about things. When all of a sudden, like a freight train, every single thing that was wrong with religion "clicked". I don't really have any other way to describe it, I just suddenly, and violently, ripped myself out of my own beliefs. I was a little worried for a couple different reasons.

How could I worship a God that called himself loving but let so many unjustified killings and deaths go?

I rejected atheism initially due to my limited (and negative) interactions with atheists. Perhaps to help me recover from the sudden mental shock of self-annihilating my entire belief system, I opted to take a purely agnostic point of view. I did not know everything, and would not claim that God was not real. But I could no longer worship this deity people have the gall to call merciful, just, and love.

In a way, I guess I am still there. I mean, I really CAN'T say with any certainty that "there is no God". I don't think ANYONE can. But I think those here can at least agree that a God is unnecessary. We don't need one to explain our world, or who we are, or give us purpose. He doesn't NEED to exist at all, even if he does. So I guess I'm an Agnostic Atheist, who leans slightly more towards agnosticism than atheism? I guess it's not really important.

It's only recently, within the latter half of the past year, that I truly began researching, and learning, about WHY God was unnecessary. About all the things we DO know. About the things we DON'T know, the things we may NEVER know. And why we still wouldn't need a God to explain them.

To this day I still haven't told my family. If I did tell them, I would want to take them away from what they believe. I would want to free them. But it's not a battle I'm equipped to fight. I'm not even sure it's one I can win. But I love my family and religion could never stop me from doing so. And I already know that it wouldn't stop them from loving me back. The only thing holding me back from telling them, is me.

Very well said. Welcome to TTA.

How is it that you are in Abu Dhabi?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Welcome!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
It seems like you had a revelation!

Sitting on a laptop can do that.

Welcome aboard!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the fold. Regarding agnosticism, here's a free read/listen that should help you understand why, when you apply attributes to a thing, it's possible to say it can't exist:

Against the Gods

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
03-03-2013, 11:04 AM
(03-03-2013 10:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 10:17 AM)ExAstra Wrote:  Okay so that's sort of a lie. It's not my first time on a forum, it has just been several years. There is a specific reason why I have joined here and I will make a specific thread for that, so I will mainly use this thread to explain about myself I guess.

Very well said. Welcome to TTA.

How is it that you are in Abu Dhabi?
I'm an aircraft mechanic. I was in the right place at the right time and landed a job for a new company over here, got really lucky. That's about all I'm legally allowed to talk about my job here, though. I had to sign an NDA and all.

(03-03-2013 10:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It seems like you had a revelation!

Sitting on a laptop can do that.

Welcome aboard!
I guess you could call it a revelation, yeah. And to clarify, I wasn't actually sitting on the laptop.
03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
(03-03-2013 11:04 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Welcome to the fold. Regarding agnosticism, here's a free read/listen that should help you understand why, when you apply attributes to a thing, it's possible to say it can't exist:

Against the Gods
Somewhere inside myself, I'd already known some of this. I guess I forgot it. I kind of facepalmed a few minutes in, but thanks for the link, haha.
03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
(03-03-2013 11:53 AM)ExAstra Wrote:  Somewhere inside myself, I'd already known some of this. I guess I forgot it. I kind of facepalmed a few minutes in, but thanks for the link, haha.
My pleasure. And don't worry about the faceplalms.... I think I've permanently altered my forehead from them. Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
03-03-2013, 12:41 PM
(03-03-2013 12:06 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 11:53 AM)ExAstra Wrote:  Somewhere inside myself, I'd already known some of this. I guess I forgot it. I kind of facepalmed a few minutes in, but thanks for the link, haha.
My pleasure. And don't worry about the faceplalms.... I think I've permanently altered my forehead from them. Tongue
Freakin' square circles.
03-03-2013, 12:45 PM
(03-03-2013 12:41 PM)ExAstra Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 12:06 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  My pleasure. And don't worry about the faceplalms.... I think I've permanently altered my forehead from them. Tongue
Freakin' square circles.
Gotta love em!