Beating on the Straw Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 08:43 AM
RE: Beating on the Straw Man
(27-03-2012 03:53 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(27-03-2012 02:41 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The 3 Christian arguments that drive me absolutely crazy:

1. ''You can't prove that God DOESN'T exist!''

*smacks face*
Sadly my 'saved' wife tried this on me this weekend.
Love her madly, but her 'culturally savedness' is frustrating at times.
She could not get her head around the fact that SHE was the one making the extraordinary claim.
Christianity in the South has ingrained Christ SO deep in the culture that i can see how THEY see us as making the Extraordinary claim. Sigh~ Up is Down and Left is Right............

If I was in your position, I would probably respond like this. "I believe that a flying toaster created the humans and the entire universe. What makes your belief truer than mine?" Both beliefs, God and the flying toaster, have absolutely no evidence to back them up.

See what she says to that. Don't wanna have too much of an argument though, might wreck the relationship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 09:46 AM

(28-03-2012 08:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  
(27-03-2012 03:53 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Sadly my 'saved' wife tried this on me this weekend.
Love her madly, but her 'culturally savedness' is frustrating at times.
She could not get her head around the fact that SHE was the one making the extraordinary claim.
Christianity in the South has ingrained Christ SO deep in the culture that i can see how THEY see us as making the Extraordinary claim. Sigh~ Up is Down and Left is Right............

If I was in your position, I would probably respond like this. "I believe that a flying toaster created the humans and the entire universe. What makes your belief truer than mine?" Both beliefs, God and the flying toaster, have absolutely no evidence to back them up.

See what she says to that. Don't wanna have too much of an argument though, might wreck the relationship.

Oh, i went there with her on that..but i did not use flying toaster (cylons). I used the beloved and holy FSM.
I have to temper my replies to keep the peace. Truth be told the conversations i have with her feel quite silly. She and i have something SO much bigger than religion. We dont fight about money, kids or ANYTHING typical. The ONLY thing that causes us grief..is this pretend pal of hers.
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 01:54 PM
(28-03-2012 09:46 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(28-03-2012 08:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  If I was in your position, I would probably respond like this. "I believe that a flying toaster created the humans and the entire universe. What makes your belief truer than mine?" Both beliefs, God and the flying toaster, have absolutely no evidence to back them up.

Oh, i went there with her on that..but i did not use flying toaster (cylons). I used the beloved and holy FSM.
I have to temper my replies to keep the peace. Truth be told the conversations i have with her feel quite silly. She and i have something SO much bigger than religion. We dont fight about money, kids or ANYTHING typical. The ONLY thing that causes us grief..is this pretend pal of hers.

I suppose you can just agree to disagree. Unless she insists on bringing up the conversation to convert you or whatever else.
28-03-2012, 05:48 PM
(27-03-2012 02:41 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The 3 Christian arguments that drive me absolutely crazy:

1. ''You can't prove that God DOESN'T exist!''

*smacks face*
From a logical standpoint, this is true. You can't prove that God doesn't exist.

You know how Intelligent Design proponents try to prove their case by disproving evolution? This is the same thing. You can't argue for the nonexistence of all gods by shooting one down. Perhaps you could disprove a specific god once you have the definition of that god, but disproving it* doesn't disprove all gods.

So this means that we can disprove the Christian God, right? Well, if Christians would stick to one definition and not move the goalposts every time you disprove it, then probably. But when you disprove a God that answers prayer, they say that its will is unknowable. When you disprove a physical God, they put it outside of the observable universe. When you disprove a loving God, its plan is so long-term and complex that it can't be observed. This makes it unfalsifiable, but luckily for the position of skeptics, it also makes it unverifiable.

*You'll notice that I call God "it" instead of "Him". I think some of us atheists (myself included) give God undue respect , and I'm through with it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2012, 06:01 PM
(28-03-2012 08:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  If I was in your position, I would probably respond like this. "I believe that a flying toaster created the humans and the entire universe. What makes your belief truer than mine?" Both beliefs, God and the flying toaster, have absolutely no evidence to back them up.

Tried that approach with my family. Tried to make them understand how ludicrous it felt to me when they tried to place the burden of proof on me by telling them a chair in the room created the world and putting the burden of proof on them (also tried the same approach once but with an invisible ex-dimensional unicorn).

Didn't work, they said 'well know you're just being stupid'. Part of me almost thinks my approach worked too well Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
28-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Let them attack their straw men, it's all they've got.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post