Beautiful Liars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Beautiful Liars
I'm of the opinion that the best cuisine comes from poverty. Those who are part of a working class with next to nothing to put on the table develop the best methods of seasoning what little they have. Indian food, French food.

Garden snails as a delicacy, and well-seasoned rice, perspectivly.

I think religious traditions develop the same way: If you have nothing, the promise of a kingdom in heaven becomes ever more appetizing. No matter how bad your daily life is, if you are part of the Godhead destined for glory in the next life, you can endure incrediby cruel hardships and dehumanization in this life.

What examples of hardship and suffering made divine quest for enlightenment and spiritual growth can you think of?

What evolutionary advantages could forming a religion where happiness is relegated to some later state of being compared to the intolerable weariness of suffering in the here and now?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
22-03-2014, 01:14 AM
RE: Beautiful Liars
(22-03-2014 12:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I'm of the opinion that the best cuisine comes from poverty. Those who are part of a working class with next to nothing to put on the table develop the best methods of seasoning what little they have. Indian food, French food.

I think religious traditions develop the same way: If you have nothing, the promise of a kingdom in heaven becomes ever more appetizing. No matter how bad your daily life is, if you are part of the Godhead destined for glory in the next life, you can endure incrediby cruel hardships and dehumanization in this life.

What examples of hardship and suffering made divine quest for enlightenment and spiritual growth can you think of?

What evolutionary advantages could forming a religion where happiness is relegated to some later state of being compared to the intolerable weariness of suffering in the here and now?

Don't forget that the underlying agenda of nearly all religions is to keep the little person down. Fill the plebs' heads with promises of salvation, threats of hell, and they stop complaining, do what they're told and pay their dues.

Religion keeps kings, governments and priests in power without them having to do any real work or prove their merit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2014, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 01:24 AM by rampant.a.i..)
(22-03-2014 01:14 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 12:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I'm of the opinion that the best cuisine comes from poverty. Those who are part of a working class with next to nothing to put on the table develop the best methods of seasoning what little they have. Indian food, French food.

Don't forget that the underlying agenda of nearly all religions is to keep the little person down. Fill the plebs' heads with promises of salvation, threats of hell, and they stop complaining, do what they're told and pay their dues.

Religion keeps kings, governments and priests in power without them having to do any real work or prove their merit.

But not merely keeping the little person down. The plebe is filled with new purpose: to acheive salvation, they must fulfill their social role, they must be the best plebe they can be.

They have the promise of being a king in the next life, and can get there by fulfilling their role in this life: Toeing the line.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
22-03-2014, 01:22 AM
(22-03-2014 01:20 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 01:14 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Don't forget that the underlying agenda of nearly all religions is to keep the little person down. Fill the plebs' heads with promises of salvation, threats of hell, and they stop complaining, do what they're told and pay their dues.

But not merely keeping the little person down. The plebe is filled with new purpose: to acheive salvation, they must fulfill their social role, they must be the best plebe they can be.

Sounds a bit like the hindu version of Dharma.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
22-03-2014, 01:30 AM
(22-03-2014 01:22 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 01:20 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  But not merely keeping the little person down. The plebe is filled with new purpose: to acheive salvation, they must fulfill their social role, they must be the best plebe they can be.

Sounds a bit like the hindu version of Dharma.

Entirely the point. Dharma becomes the purpose of living out one's dharma, or the bullshit one must endure to become a person worth their own existence.