27-09-2015, 10:50 AM
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(26-09-2015 07:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 06:52 PM)Timj Wrote:  Oops! Smile

You're such a troublemaker. Dodgy

This thing's beautiful.
[Image: ZtWky5V.png]

[Image: 5EXiwXH.png]

My mind just melts looking at that! I think fractals demonstrate the ubiquitous structure of existence. When you look at the universe and see superclusters of galaxies, then galaxies, solar systems, planets, plants and animals, cells, molecules, atoms, particles, then quarks. And what if all of that turned out to be an atom inside a world vastly larger than we could ever imagine?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
27-09-2015, 02:22 PM
A lot of beauty in mathematics, for sure. I almost double majored in physics and mathematics, but dropped the math after a little over 40 semester units, as it would have taken me another two years to graduate (I also worked my way through university as a mechanic, even though I had the GI Bill to help, so only ever took 12-14 semester units at a time). I taught math and physics in a high school in the mid-90s. I actually enjoyed it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-09-2015, 02:41 PM
(27-09-2015 02:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  A lot of beauty in mathematics, for sure. I almost double majored in physics and mathematics, but dropped the math after a little over 40 semester units, as it would have taken me another two years to graduate (I also worked my way through university as a mechanic, even though I had the GI Bill to help, so only ever took 12-14 semester units at a time). I taught math and physics in a high school in the mid-90s. I actually enjoyed it.

Only if every class in college were easy as mathematics or (in my case) applied physics. Calculus is EASY, English and history are DIFFICULT!
27-09-2015, 02:51 PM
(27-09-2015 02:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  A lot of beauty in mathematics, for sure. I almost double majored in physics and mathematics, but dropped the math after a little over 40 semester units, as it would have taken me another two years to graduate (I also worked my way through university as a mechanic, even though I had the GI Bill to help, so only ever took 12-14 semester units at a time). I taught math and physics in a high school in the mid-90s. I actually enjoyed it.

I was always horrible at math until I had the right teacher. I finally began to enjoy it when I was earning my bachelor of science degree in business administration. My math professor was a naval engineer that worked on rocket guidance systems for thirty years. I came to the point where I realized that all math was not that difficult as long as you follow the rules and formulas.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2015, 07:08 PM
(27-09-2015 02:51 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  

I was always horrible at math until I had the right teacher. I finally began to enjoy it when I was earning my bachelor of science degree in business administration. My math professor was a naval engineer that worked on rocket guidance systems for thirty years. I came to the point where I realized that all math was not that difficult as long as you follow the rules and formulas.

It is much easier with a good teacher.
[+] 1 user Likes Timj's post
27-09-2015, 10:01 PM
(27-09-2015 02:41 PM)Timj Wrote:  

Only if every class in college were easy as mathematics or (in my case) applied physics. Calculus is EASY, English and history are DIFFICULT!

I agree, but in the sense that English was obvious to me, since I was a native speaker (well, at least American English), and history, well, I can look that up at any time. So, the difficulty for me was essentially lack of interest. I'm off to bed now, so I'll pick it up tomorrow.
28-09-2015, 07:49 PM
(27-09-2015 10:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 02:41 PM)Timj Wrote:  Only if every class in college were easy as mathematics or (in my case) applied physics. Calculus is EASY, English and history are DIFFICULT!

I agree, but in the sense that English was obvious to me, since I was a native speaker (well, at least American English), and history, well, I can look that up at any time. So, the difficulty for me was essentially lack of interest. I'm off to bed now, so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I am an American too. (Shameful, I know) I can spell my second learned language better than English.
[+] 1 user Likes Timj's post