Becoming The Demon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 07:57 AM
RE: Becoming The Demon
Chas, I do believe your hypochondria has branched towards diagnosing others. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
(06-05-2013 07:57 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Chas, I do believe your hypochondria has branched towards diagnosing others. Drinking Beverage

Hypochondria? Seriously?Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
(06-05-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:57 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Chas, I do believe your hypochondria has branched towards diagnosing others. Drinking Beverage

No, not really. Big Grin

But you know what I'm getting at, hence you're BSing considering it. Kudos for reading in between the lines.

You want Misanthropik to be open to what you say, maybe dropping the whole "you got psych problems" would increase your chances. Yes, even if it means you're having to drop the subject entirely. Stormtroop (WW1 version, not Star Wars) this subject by all means. This needs several fronts covered. That and several asses as well. Big Grin

06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
(06-05-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Rainbows and kittens

06-05-2013, 10:02 AM
(06-05-2013 09:56 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  Hypochondria? Seriously?Consider

No, not really. Big Grin

But you know what I'm getting at, hence you're BSing considering it. Kudos for reading in between the lines.

You want Misanthropik to be open to what you say, maybe dropping the whole "you got psych problems" would increase your chances. Yes, even if it means you're having to drop the subject entirely. Stormtroop (WW1 version, not Star Wars) this subject by all means. This needs several fronts covered. That and several asses as well. Big Grin

No, I don't know what you're getting at.

The central problem is his obsession with this and why that is. It is a psychological issue, so I won't be dropping it. He can listen or not - his choice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
If you expect a different result from saying the same thing over and over again; be my guest. I do that, too. Rainbows and kittens.

06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I have a single tattoo and have both of my ears pierced. Not exactly as extensive as what you may already have and certainly not as extensive as what you plan on getting (my single tattoo is easily hidden via a short sleeve shirt and my hair is long enough that I could cover my piercings if I so choose). I guess I kind of understand the impact that modifying your own body can have. I didn't exactly enjoy the constant (albeit minor) pain of the tattoo gun or the sharp and sudden pain of the piercing gun, but I kind of crave doing each again? I certainly want another tattoo, I think my ears pierced is good though. This time for a tattoo, I want something on my lower arm. Something geology and/or paleontology related. I want it to be something I can show off as an expression of what I like. It is very much an exercise in vanity though. I want it, I like it, and there is a comfort I get in having it.

What you are talking about doing isn't simply going to become a way of expressing yourself though. It will become who you are to all who know you and see you from then on. Now, in one sense that is admirable. You aren't hiding anything, you are being forthcoming about who you are, in an artistic sense. But in other ways, it is less admirable and less desirable. Not all will understand your artistic expression. They won't see your transformation into a demon as an expression of your past or some sense of control, they will see it as a walking and talking freak show. I assume you are under no delusion that you will appease everyone. But even those who know you, will be unable to separate you from the image you create. I don't particularly like the idea of someone remembering me solely for my outward appearance. It would make me feel like a whore. It would put me in the same category as celebrities who are only celebrities because they are nice to look at and not because they posses any skills or contribute to society in any positive way. I would much rather connect with someone on an intellectual level and/or an emotional level and leave them with my memory that way.

Also, I am quite happy to hide who I am from everyone. My wife knows me the best, but there are parts of myself that I keep from her and her from me. Being able to hide certain things from certain people is another way I control who I am. To everyone on this forum, I am an atheist who is an anti-theist and someone educated in geology. To my office mates, I am a geologist. To my wife, I am a husband. To my son, I am a father. I can transform into any given role at any given time. If you make your body image coherent with only a single view of yourself and a single role, how can you ever expect to be allowed to be anyone else?

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Pretty much what Beardy said goes along with what I said on page 4. The surgical commitment pretty much helps to corner an very specific image.

There's an old saying; you don't own a house, it owns you. I would say the same with one's body or one's perceived body image.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
^As for what Beardy said:
1- I think Mis is already aware of people view's of these things, and
2- Again, it depends on how much you care what the neighbors think. It's not Mis's fault if some people are superficial assholes, and I don't think he should have to restrict his own self expression based on the fact that many people are superficial. As for friends and so on seeing you differently, no, I reject that idea entirely, because if they are your friend, that means they already know what you're like and don't see you as just your body (unless Mis is a man-whore or something, I don't know what he does in his spare time... ). If you're saying new people won't want to be his friends, that's assuming he wants friends that are that judgmental in the first place. (Personally, I have a lot of friends who are in the tattoo/piercing business, one of my friends has done seminars with Steve Haworth, who is known for doing "extreme"/surgical mods like horns and implants).

As for career-related stuff, the general consensus seems to be if you are different-looking, you have to be good at something. Make your skills valuable, get educated, be good at something, and that way you won't care if gas stations won't hire you.

Quote:There's an old saying; you don't own a house, it owns you. I would say the same with one's body or one's perceived body image.
And that's why he should be able to do anything he wishes with his house/body so long as he is aware of how people may react to it and any potential health risks.

Quote: If you make your body image coherent with only a single view of yourself and a single role, how can you ever expect to be allowed to be anyone else?
What a grim view of things, that ALL people are that judgmental. Sure, some are, but Mis doesn't have to hang out with those people if he doesn't want to. Again, I know people with piercings all over them, horn implants in their heads, split tongues, tattoos covering 90% of their body, and I wouldn't say people view them in a specific way all the time. Their friends treat them as human beings, not a body image. And if a "friend" was unable to get past their piercings, horns, implants, whatever, that person would be told to fuck off.

I get the impression that a lot of people here don't know anyone with any body modifications besides a tattoo or pierced ears.
06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
(06-05-2013 07:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 07:39 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  During a haircut; a portion of an individual's body - namely the filamentous fibers which are rooted in the dermis - are carefully cut with sharp implements in order to achieve a desired appearance.

During the cropping of one's ears; a portion of an individual's body - namely the auricles; mainly comprised of cartilage and a dermal layer - are carefully cut with sharp implements in order to achieve a desired appearance.

During bodybuilding; a portion of an individual's body - namely the muscular tissue beneath the dermal layer - is carefully cut on the microscopic level using continuous tension of heavy weights in order to achieve a desired appearance.

There is no real difference here, Chas. You can say "It's just not the same" all day long, but demonstrably, it is. Cropping one's ear or splitting one's tongue is absolutely no different than getting a nose job or some fat sucked from your midsection or more muscle on your arms or a shorter style of hair. Also, your suggestion of "natural function" brings to mind the sickeningly Christian argument regarding homosexual male sodomy.

I'm sorry. I respect you, but your argument here is not reasonable.

Your rationalizing that these are equivalent demonstrates your irrationality on this subject.

Hair is not living flesh.

So then it's not living flesh. I still don't see how that is relevant, or how it makes the modification itself "unhealthy" in any way. I asked you to detail why you claim that it is, but you've failed to do so.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!