Becoming The Demon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Becoming The Demon
(06-05-2013 02:01 PM)amyb Wrote:  ^As for what Beardy said:
1- I think Mis is already aware of people view's of these things, and
2- Again, it depends on how much you care what the neighbors think. It's not Mis's fault if some people are superficial assholes, and I don't think he should have to restrict his own self expression based on the fact that many people are superficial. As for friends and so on seeing you differently, no, I reject that idea entirely, because if they are your friend, that means they already know what you're like and don't see you as just your body (unless Mis is a man-whore or something, I don't know what he does in his spare time... ). If you're saying new people won't want to be his friends, that's assuming he wants friends that are that judgmental in the first place. (Personally, I have a lot of friends who are in the tattoo/piercing business, one of my friends has done seminars with Steve Haworth, who is known for doing "extreme"/surgical mods like horns and implants).

As for career-related stuff, the general consensus seems to be if you are different-looking, you have to be good at something. Make your skills valuable, get educated, be good at something, and that way you won't care if gas stations won't hire you.

Quote:There's an old saying; you don't own a house, it owns you. I would say the same with one's body or one's perceived body image.
And that's why he should be able to do anything he wishes with his house/body so long as he is aware of how people may react to it and any potential health risks.

Quote: If you make your body image coherent with only a single view of yourself and a single role, how can you ever expect to be allowed to be anyone else?
What a grim view of things, that ALL people are that judgmental. Sure, some are, but Mis doesn't have to hang out with those people if he doesn't want to. Again, I know people with piercings all over them, horn implants in their heads, split tongues, tattoos covering 90% of their body, and I wouldn't say people view them in a specific way all the time. Their friends treat them as human beings, not a body image. And if a "friend" was unable to get past their piercings, horns, implants, whatever, that person would be told to fuck off.

I get the impression that a lot of people here don't know anyone with any body modifications besides a tattoo or pierced ears.

Of course he can do whatever he wants to his own body. I am not questioning that.

I am questioning the want.

And, yes, I know people with more extensive bodywork.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Not trying to say people aren't judgemental, that is exactly what I am saying. But I am judgemental of myself too. I like what I have, but I also like being able to hide it as I see fit. I can go from one persona to the next and then to the next as need be. Some of my personas might benefit from exposure of any modifications I have, some might not benefit (have a neutral impact) and some may suffer.

It is inevitable that we live in a world with other people. You have the freedom to choose how you express yourself in an outward way. But don't kid yourself that it doesn't matter. It does. The question is whether or not your outward appearance gives you more or less confidence. For me, it gives me more for my causal personas, and less for my professional personas.

I don't wear my different personas to expressly give-in to other people's views, I am different to different groups because I have control over how much they get to know about me. I don't want my students to see the same person my wife, friends, and kids see. I don't want to project the professional version of myself to them either. With extensive modifications like what Mis is discussing getting, there can only be one outward expression. Only one person for people to see when they interact with. And they are going to react to that. People are judgemental, you can't get past it. Even the most accepting of people will do it, they just may not say anything and/or their judgements won't be directed as disrespect. Not all judgements are to be disrespectful. I mean, he is talking about modifications to invite judgement.

And as for friends and family, I didn't say they would all react negatively either. But their perception of him will necessarily change. Once again, that doesn't necessarily mean for the worse. But I could see it causing a friend or family member not inviting him somewhere to meet other people they know. Not because they are negatively judging him, but because the friend/family member will be judged for associating with him. It is very much a shallow side of the human psyche, but it exists. And the modifications are shallow in the sense that they are about his outward appearance.

And people would judge you for a wicked weird haircut or an inflammatory t-shirt. But these modifications are less permanent.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
(06-05-2013 07:30 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Since it's your new version you're wanting to get noticed, what in your old version did you not want people to see?

I understand the question, but it implies that I'm trying to cover something up. That's not necessarily the case. It's simply that I've "outgrown" who I once was, and would like to move on to the next stage. It's happened a few times already; as it does all of us throughout our lives.

The reason I'm ok with the idea of making this transformation as my "next stage" is that, again, nothing I've proposed is permanent. Ears can be uncropped, just as they can be cropped in the first place. The reversal of a tongue-splitting is just as simple and equally successful (in terms of outcome) as the act of splitting it in the first place.

And really, those are the only really big endeavors that would be undertaken with this process. Dermal anchors are $65 at the tattoo place. I could go get them done today in the 35 minutes I have left before the place closes. Taking those out, if I so desired, would require a medical professional, but even if I didn't take them out - but wanted them hidden - they make jewelry which renders the implant virtually invisible.

Ultimately, would the undoing of the whole process cost money? Yes. Would it be incredibly time consuming? Yes. Does it all seem unecessary when I could just not do any of it in the first place? Yes. But, can it be done? Yes.

Sorry to digress like that, but when I talked about "moving on to the next stage", I could hear the critics asking "what about when you want to move on from THAT stage?" and I wanted to counter them before the argument was made. I truly have brought these things into consideration. Everything everyone has mentioned here thus far.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
06-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Yes, we live in a world with other people and they judge people. But the question is, to what extent does that matter to Mis? The answer depends on the person, and who he associates with. i don't think Mis is taking it lightly, and is aware of every single thing you've said.

@Chas: Yes, it is valid to question the reason, or for him to question himself, anyway, but again, I am guessing he already has done that.

I am saying this as a person who has a lot of tattoos, has been judged a lot for them, and has a lot of friends with surgical modifications that like to swing from meathooks through their flesh. I'm saying, basically, if some people are dicks to you because of how you look, it's quite possible to get new friends who are not dicks to you.
06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
This bastard son of a bitch stole my damn idea! Angry Sorta.

[Image: right1.jpg]

06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I've no doubt he is taking seriously. What sane person wouldn't? I was just providing my perspective.

I won't think less of Mis if he does it, but I will judge him. We don't live under a regime where the proclamation of "Only god can judge me" reigns supreme. I'll judge him. It says something about him. That is the point.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
(06-05-2013 02:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've no doubt he is taking seriously. What sane person wouldn't? I was just providing my perspective.

I won't think less of Mis if he does it, but I will judge him. We don't live under a regime where the proclamation of "Only god can judge me" reigns supreme. I'll judge him. It says something about him. That is the point.

If it's any consolation, I don't mind judgment - be it negative or positive. Judging is human nature. Every one of us does it in regard to something.

06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
(06-05-2013 02:31 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  This bastard son of a bitch stole my damn idea! Angry Sorta.

[Image: right1.jpg]

Charming. Drinking Beverage

You realize that doing that sort of thing will limit your life in many ways.

There are careers that will simply not be open to you as you will not be taken seriously.

There are places in the world you simply couldn't visit safely, or wouldn't let you in.

There are worthwhile people you will never get to know, or possibly even meet.

So, as freeing as you believe this to be, it will also cage you in.

I'm done.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-05-2013, 02:38 PM
(06-05-2013 02:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:30 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Since it's your new version you're wanting to get noticed, what in your old version did you not want people to see?

I understand the question, but it implies that I'm trying to cover something up. That's not necessarily the case. It's simply that I've "outgrown" who I once was, and would like to move on to the next stage. It's happened a few times already; as it does all of us throughout our lives.

The reason I'm ok with the idea of making this transformation as my "next stage" is that, again, nothing I've proposed is permanent. Ears can be uncropped, just as they can be cropped in the first place. The reversal of a tongue-splitting is just as simple and equally successful (in terms of outcome) as the act of splitting it in the first place.

And really, those are the only really big endeavors that would be undertaken with this process. Dermal anchors are $65 at the tattoo place. I could go get them done today in the 35 minutes I have left before the place closes. Taking those out, if I so desired, would require a medical professional, but even if I didn't take them out - but wanted them hidden - they make jewelry which renders the implant virtually invisible.

Ultimately, would the undoing of the whole process cost money? Yes. Would it be incredibly time consuming? Yes. Does it all seem unecessary when I could just not do any of it in the first place? Yes. But, can it be done? Yes.

Sorry to digress like that, but when I talked about "moving on to the next stage", I could hear the critics asking "what about when you want to move on from THAT stage?" and I wanted to counter them before the argument was made. I truly have brought these things into consideration. Everything everyone has mentioned here thus far.

Thanks, the question itself was meant to see how well you thought things out and get down to the nitty gritty, which you wrote wonderfully.

Case fucking closed. Drinking Beverage

Have fun doing it man! I hope you have a blast. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
06-05-2013, 02:38 PM
(06-05-2013 02:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've no doubt he is taking seriously. What sane person wouldn't? I was just providing my perspective.

Yes, I know, I'm just saying the more important thing is whether or not Mis is bothered by it. Of course he'll be judged, everybody is judged on their appearance, modifications or no.