Becoming an atheist also introduced me to pen and paper RPGs!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Becoming an atheist also introduced me to pen and paper RPGs!
Well, I was well aware that they existed as far back as the 80s, when I heard people talking about how evil Dungeons and Dragons is. I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, myself, but I never tried it out.

Then in the 90s, Focus on the Family's Odyssey did a show about the evils of RPGs, and again, I thought it sounded like a lot of fun and that they were just being silly. I didn't, however, have any friends at the time who were into it and figured my parents would think it was evil and forbid me from partaking.

In college I had one friend who was into those sorts of things in the past, but had given it up because he decided they were evil. Well, he was into wargaming and decided that it was evil to spend all your money on miniatures and your time on painting them, that there were other, more godly, callings in life.

Anyway, so two years and some months ago I came to accept that I am an atheist, and that the reason I thought it was so silly that everyone around me thought RPGs were so evil is because they were all being rather silly, I joined a local freethought group, and a handfull of people in that group had a weekly game of Werewolf: The Apocalypse going, I joined in.

So, I didn't start gaming because I became atheist, but I found people to game with because I became atheist and got involved in a freethoguht group. Smile Now I'm playing the Werewolf game and another game called Warrior, Rogue & Mage, a lightweigh gaming system distributed under a Creative Commons license that my GM has modified greatly.

I've had a lot of fun over the past year!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheSecretAtheist's post
25-08-2012, 10:49 PM
RE: Becoming an atheist also introduced me to pen and paper RPGs!
Even as a theist, I've been playing D&D and the Star Wars pen and paper games for years.

I'm such a heathen.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Yay! Welcome to the corrupt world of pen and paper gamers. Join us and watch your life pass you by as you try to live 50 other lives.

Werewolf is my favourite game by the way. I'm the National Storyteller for our local werewolf LARP, and have been running a tabletop game for a few years. It's great to hear that people still play that game, it is awesome! Are you enjoying it? What are you playing in it?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
29-08-2012, 10:19 PM
(29-08-2012 04:53 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Yay! Welcome to the corrupt world of pen and paper gamers. Join us and watch your life pass you by as you try to live 50 other lives.

Werewolf is my favourite game by the way. I'm the National Storyteller for our local werewolf LARP, and have been running a tabletop game for a few years. It's great to hear that people still play that game, it is awesome! Are you enjoying it? What are you playing in it?

I'm enjoying it, though I'm a bit more comfortable in the WR&M game which is set in a classic high-fantasy world that I'm more familiar with than the World of Darkness world where I'm having to ask what is going on half the time! Smile

In our Werewolf game I'm one of the two werewolf PCs (our third is a genie, and we used to have a mage). A Stargazer. He scales buildings like a champ and kills things very handily.
30-08-2012, 08:58 AM
A Stargazer? Blink

That must be an interesting game. World of Darkness is easy to get into. It's basically our world + some nasty critters going bump in the night, and the nasty critters are usually you.

I don't know popular WHFRP (Warhammer Fantasy RP) is in your part of the world, but it is my favourite high fantasy setting. It's kind of D&D meets Cthulu, in a way. It's really dark, and deadly.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
03-09-2012, 04:31 AM
I came to like these games a lot. Smooshmonster introduced me to it heh.
What was that one with the werewolves that were we were becoming adults? I think you mentioned World of Darkness there.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
03-09-2012, 04:35 AM
It is quite an interesting game, I've been having a blast!
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
I gave D & D a try.....But the people I tried it with were assholes, my first character died within our second session, and I never did figure out how to set up my character sheet, or most of the rules.
09-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Never tried D&D or any of the famous ones. I never set up my own character sheet, but once I wrote a pen and paper myself and tried it with my group. It had a few flaws but after all it was the first ever that I wrote. Smile Zombie game haha.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
09-09-2012, 04:21 AM
(09-09-2012 01:55 AM)Leela Wrote:  Never tried D&D or any of the famous ones. I never set up my own character sheet, but once I wrote a pen and paper myself and tried it with my group. It had a few flaws but after all it was the first ever that I wrote. Smile Zombie game haha.

It was quite a fun zombie game.

I owe you some emails by the way. I will send them tonight when I get home. Promise Blush