Beer existed before bread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 06:12 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Beer existed before bread
Evidence of possible beer brewing at Gobekli Tepe, a 12,000 year old neolithic religious site in Turkey, suggests the libation existed a few thousand years before the agriculture revolution. Keep in mind that people were still living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle when the site was built. Beer would have served a religious and cohesive social function at this time and place.

Quote:https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/20...ad-or-beer

For decades, beer partisans have argued that fermented rather than baked grain led humans to begin sowing the fields, settling down, and abandoning their hunter-gatherer ways. I have found none of their arguments persuasive; there just wasn't a smoking gun to support it one way or another. Food is a more basic need, and in the absence of evidence, bread seemed the more likely spark to a change as revolutionary as domesticating crops.

[...]

In late 2012, however, archaeologists made a rather startling discovery that had until recently escaped my notice--and it appears to tip the balance, with actual evidence, toward beer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
14-04-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: Beer existed before bread
(14-04-2017 11:18 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Evidence of possibly beer brewing at Gobekli Tepe, a 12,000 year old neolithic religious site in Turkey, suggests the libation existed a few thousand years before the agriculture revolution. Keep in mind that people were still living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle when the site was built. Beer would have served a religious and cohesive social function at this time and place.

For decades, beer partisans have argued that fermented rather than baked grain led humans to begin sowing the fields, settling down, and abandoning their hunter-gatherer ways. I have found none of their arguments persuasive; there just wasn't a smoking gun to support it one way or another. Food is a more basic need, and in the absence of evidence, bread seemed the more likely spark to a change as revolutionary as domesticating crops.

[...]

In late 2012, however, archaeologists made a rather startling discovery that had until recently escaped my notice--and it appears to tip the balance, with actual evidence, toward beer.

The city of Munich sprung up because a bunch of monks lived there and brewed grain to drink during fasting periods. This beer was apparently very nutritious and delicious and caused people to settle near there. Or so the story has it. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2017, 11:24 AM
(14-04-2017 11:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The city of Munich sprung up because a bunch of monks lived there and brewed grain to drink during fasting periods. This beer was apparently very nutritious and delicious and caused people to settle near there. Or so the story has it. Tongue

That's interesting. It sounds just like what may have happened to neolithic humans, as described in the linked article.
14-04-2017, 11:26 AM
(14-04-2017 11:18 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Evidence of possibly beer brewing at Gobekli Tepe, a 12,000 year old neolithic religious site in Turkey, suggests the libation existed a few thousand years before the agriculture revolution. Keep in mind that people were still living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle when the site was built. Beer would have served a religious and cohesive social function at this time and place.

[...]

I think Dogfish Head is already all over this. Sounds like their Midas Touch. Drooling

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 11:32 AM
(14-04-2017 11:24 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 11:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The city of Munich sprung up because a bunch of monks lived there and brewed grain to drink during fasting periods. This beer was apparently very nutritious and delicious and caused people to settle near there. Or so the story has it. Tongue

That's interesting. It sounds just like what may have happened to neolithic humans, as described in the linked article.

The name Munich is derived from the German word for monk. I remember this story from local history lessons in grade school.

There was a road along the monastery leading to a bridge over the river and hence there were more and more people becoming aware of the spot and the beer.

The major of Munich starts the first barrel of beer at the Octoberfest the original way - hammering the spout in. If he can't do it with 3 strokes he can't be major. I don't think this applies anymore, I went to grade school a very long time ago. But the major still has to hammer in that spout. Beer is and always was super important in Munich. MacDonalds serves beer there. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Thank fuck for bread all the same. Anybody ever tried to make a ham and mustard sandwich with beer? Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
14-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Considering that men probably invented it this does not surprise me at all.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
14-04-2017, 11:54 AM
(14-04-2017 11:35 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Thank fuck for bread all the same. Anybody ever tried to make a ham and mustard sandwich with beer? Big Grin

You can make beer out of bread. Yes

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I like the "possibly" that turns into fact.
14-04-2017, 12:13 PM
(14-04-2017 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 11:35 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Thank fuck for bread all the same. Anybody ever tried to make a ham and mustard sandwich with beer? Big Grin

You can make beer out of bread. Yes

We used to make a spent grain bread that was all sorts of awesome.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces