Bees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Bees
My dad is thinking about getting some hives. His property would be perfect for them. One catch, though... he wouldn't be able to take care of them. Because of his disease, a couple of stings would probably kill him.

This means that I would ultimately be taking care of them.

Does anyone know the maintenance required for beekeeping? Is it significant? Would I be able to do it pretty easily or is it a full time job?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Re: Bees
I've never kept bees, but I've wanted to and there are several good, free ways of learning.

http://www.abfnet.org/?page=34

Many colleges with entomology or agricultural departments offer free beekeeping courses.

Most local extension services also offer free info.
03-06-2015, 03:16 PM
RE: Bees
(03-06-2015 03:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My dad is thinking about getting some hives. His property would be perfect for them. One catch, though... he wouldn't be able to take care of them. Because of his disease, a couple of stings would probably kill him.

This means that I would ultimately be taking care of them.

Does anyone know the maintenance required for beekeeping? Is it significant? Would I be able to do it pretty easily or is it a full time job?

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimal...Season.htm

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
A few hives in the same location is not all that time consuming. You're not gonna be doing all that much - very low maintenance. Occasionally replacing the sugar water and checking on their health, and after letting them build up, robbing the hive. So pretty easy.

My dad has a full time job, is head deacon at a large church, and has roughly 150 hives right now (I could be wrong on that - it might be twice that - it's always changing). Granted Mom helps, too. I occasionally come in and bottle honey, as well, more for my own distraction than as a necessity to help them. When you start selling hundreds of pounds of honey and candles in stores, the need for more expensive equipment to spin out the honey comes into play.

Random tip: Get a "just in case" epi-pen prescription and carry it with you. Even with a bee suit you'll still get the occasional sting. If the hive starts to become more aggressive, time to replace the queen.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
03-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't know much about it myself, but my father-in-law keeps bees. He has about a dozen hives. He is over-weight, diabetic, has Parkinson's and is recovering from heart bypass and he manages just fine. He probably spends an hour a week on them at the most. Some of that time is just piddling around and looking at them for the heck of it. In fact, I think the idea is to leave them alone as much as possible unless you have to re-start a hive or something.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
03-06-2015, 04:02 PM
My best friend did it for years till he moved to Louisiana....

It's something you have to like doing -- cuz it's not worth the paltry amounts of money you make off of it -- and there is a fair bit of equipment you'll need.....

Not a real pricey hobby -- but it can be a pain.... literally and figuratively...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-06-2015, 04:20 PM

ACTING! Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Sounds wonderful Kingsy but, if the bees are on your pop's property, isn't that a bit close for comfort? Won't he still be risking being stung?

Other than that, bees need all the help they can get. Thumbsup

I have a friend who keeps bees. He's told me it's a 'learn by reading and doing' process. He loves it - it's fairly contemplative. Every Christmas, I get a little jar of honey with a bit of comb. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Seems like a bad idea.
If a couple stings could possibly kill your dad, why increase the chances of being stung?
Also, living where you do, there's a potential problem with Africanized bees.
03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
(03-06-2015 03:46 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If the hive starts to become more aggressive, time to replace the queen.

He asked for bee keeping advice, not marriage advice. Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post