Bees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: Bees
(03-06-2015 04:20 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

ACTING! Drinking Beverage

Damn it.

I had that post pegged at before the fifth post.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Can't he just get a pet rock instead?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I know very little about keeping bees. I did see something cool a couple of years back about a new box that alleged to make it easy for anyone to become a apiarist. I briefly considered it, as I like to make mead on occasion. Unlike traditional beekeeping it looked incredibly easy, but it also had a hefty price tag, so depending on how much time you have to invest, and how much money you or your dad is willing to invest, it may be a good option.

03-06-2015, 11:05 PM
(03-06-2015 08:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I know very little about keeping bees. I did see something cool a couple of years back about a new box that alleged to make it easy for anyone to become a apiarist. I briefly considered it, as I like to make mead on occasion. Unlike traditional beekeeping it looked incredibly easy, but it also had a hefty price tag, so depending on how much time you have to invest, and how much money you or your dad is willing to invest, it may be a good option.

That is utterly astounding! It doesn't disturb the bees! So elegant!

And the inventor is a hottie! And so is his dad! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-06-2015, 01:19 PM
(03-06-2015 06:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can't he just get a pet rock instead?

If you knew my dad, you wouldn't even question him wanting to get bees.

At this point, I'm just like, "Okay, whatever. What can I do to help?"

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I also just had a good idea.

So, my dad's land is farmish. All of his trees/bushes/vines are fully grown and produce... a lot.

Citrus Trees
4 mandarins, 2 satsumas, 2 naval oranges, 1 sour kumquat tree, 1 sweet kumquat, 1 grapefruit, 2 tangerines, 1 tangelo tree, 2 lemons, 1 lime

Berry Bushes
10 or so blueberry, 5 or so large blackberry, uncountable number of wild blackberries lining the property

Other Fruit Trees/Vines
6 or 7 plum trees, 2 crabapple trees, 1 pear tree, 1 muscadine vine, 1 grapevine

Garden
It depends on the time of the year, but he also grows tomatoes, strawberries, potatoes, cantaloupe, mustard greens, cabbage, various sweet peppers, and a few other plants here and there.

Now... obviously, the bees would be WONDERFUL for all of these plants... but I had a good idea.

On top of all of the normal stuff he grows, maybe I get my dad to grow some of the super peppers and sell them and the honey in the local market.

I'm talking any pepper as mild (relatively speaking) as the habanero, to the hot ghost, to the explosive various scorpions.

I think this could be a fun niche to get involved in... plus, it would keep him busy, which, in turn, keeps him alive. Well, as long as he doesn't overdo it.

Thoughts?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-06-2015, 02:08 PM
(04-06-2015 01:43 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  On top of all of the normal stuff he grows, maybe I get my dad to grow some of the super peppers and sell them and the honey in the local market.

I'm talking any pepper as mild (relatively speaking) as the habanero, to the hot ghost, to the explosive various scorpions.

Thoughts?

Mix the hot peppers with the honey and the various fruit in appropriate proportions and you've got a nice niche product which could go national. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-06-2015, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 02:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
We have about 10 hives. They're cool and will be very educational for your kids.
I know a couple aggressive queens. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
(04-06-2015 02:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I know a couple agressive queens. Weeping

Leave earmuffs out of this.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2015, 03:14 PM
(03-06-2015 03:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My dad is thinking about getting some hives. His property would be perfect for them. One catch, though... he wouldn't be able to take care of them. Because of his disease, a couple of stings would probably kill him.

This means that I would ultimately be taking care of them.

Does anyone know the maintenance required for beekeeping? Is it significant? Would I be able to do it pretty easily or is it a full time job?

The only thing I know is that you use smoke to incapacitate them when you want to harvest the hives or get near them to do maintenance work.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ