Before I Drive Myself Mad, Please Help Me!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Before I Drive Myself Mad, Please Help Me!
I am a closet atheist for several reasons, though I think some family members and co-workers suspect. Suffice it to say I don’t have much outlet for my views, or opportunity to use any of the knowledge or devices in counter apologetics I spend so much of my time absorbing. It’s frustrating. I am just waiting for the day when I will have to defend my views. Being someone who tends to fly off the handle and later regret not being calm enough to articulate, I am afraid of that day.
I’ve heard Seth talk about being tolerant with Christians, that they are not idiots, that they are good people like anyone else, that they are just compartmentalizing as I probably do myself about some things (like I did for years, although thinking back I don't know if I ever really bought the BS), to love the person and hate the dogma. It all sounds good when he’s saying it, but when I’m alone and thinking about it, I seriously do not understand (yes, PLEASE let me say it) HOW PEOPLE CAN BE SUCH IDIOTS!!!! It makes me CRAZY!!! CRRRAAAAAZZZZYYYYY!!!
I have these heated discussions in my head with various people in my circle. These in-my-head discussions just raise my blood pressure and make me more frustrated. I am thinking I need to start getting into some actual discussions with actual people to hone my skills—onlineSad.
Am I on to something here? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? Where I could start or just dabble? I was even thinking of creating an online identity just for this reason and maybe even getting into it with people I know. Call me a coward, but I know myself and how I learn and develop.
Thanks for any feedback.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like socken's post
16-12-2011, 11:48 PM
RE: Before I Drive Myself Mad, Please Help Me!
This is the perfect place for you. The people here will help you develop and reinforce your beliefs. There is a LOT of knowledge on this forum and a lot of good people. Also, I would recommend starting "mock" debates with theists who aren't looking to prove you wrong. This will help you hone your arguing and debate skills in a safe environment where it's okay to not "win" or know all the answers.

Welcome to TTA! Enjoy your stay.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
17-12-2011, 01:59 AM
(16-12-2011 11:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is the perfect place for you. The people here will help you develop and reinforce your beliefs. There is a LOT of knowledge on this forum and a lot of good people. Also, I would recommend starting "mock" debates with theists who aren't looking to prove you wrong. This will help you hone your arguing and debate skills in a safe environment where it's okay to not "win" or know all the answers.

Welcome to TTA! Enjoy your stay.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your input. I would like to hang out here more and I may do so now.
In the interest of getting my feet wet: I don't hold "beliefs" that I am trying to reinforce. See? I spotted that right off.
17-12-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm here to find some sense of community too. Welcome! We can be newbies in the corner together.

My Blog
[+] 2 users Like dreamingfifi's post
17-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Among like-minded people - or, anyway, people who are having or recently had a similar experience - you may find a sense of community. You may express those doubts and frustrations that everyone else is expressing; be agreed-with and 'like'd.

If you want to argue and express your negative attitude toward xtians, however, you may need to find a more confrontational outlet. I hear they do a lot of dog-fighting on Facebook, and there are plenty of religious sites you can have fun getting banned from. Or you can start your own blog and sound off all you like.
My advice would be to keep a private journal for these internal dialogues (devil's advocate vs straw priest). Better still, write a series of essays wherein you work out the logical, sequential, coherent arguments over each major religious issue. Some people like to do this in the form of letters addressed (but never sent!) to someone they can't confront in person. When you've finished one, put it aside and return to edit for emotion two weeks later.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
17-12-2011, 09:59 AM
(17-12-2011 02:05 AM)dreamingfifi Wrote:  I'm here to find some sense of community too. Welcome! We can be newbies in the corner together.

Nope, sorry, no corners here, unless it's a boxing corner. Big Grin

We're just one big family here...which includes that weird, pervy uncle and the cousin with that unsettling goiter on her neck, oh, and don't forget scary granny who likes to pinch your cheeks too hard.

Socken, when it comes to be a closet atheist with family and a majority of Christian friends, I understand and also came here for the same reason: to have a place to speak freely and to be corrected for faulty thinking "in love" as opposed to those folks you fear who would just jump all over you if you make a mistake. Give us input and we'll give you feedback. You'll one day wake up and realize you have a lot more confidence to share your thoughts IRL than you thought you'd ever gain.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
17-12-2011, 02:05 PM
I know exactly how you feel! I go to a Catholic high school and my entire family is religious. Ever since I became an atheist, I see examples everywhere of people treating as absolute fact things that they've never seen evidence for: "conscience," "soul," "God bless you", "faith," and speaking what now seems to me like nonsense as if it's perfectly rational! It blows my mind to think that I used to be just like them. I really want to be accepting to people's beliefs but I feel like it's driving me crazy sometimes when people go around acting as though what they're saying is indisputable fact! Sometimes I feel like the whole world has gone crazy! For the most part I keep quiet, and that's exactly why I ended up here. Hopefully you and I can both figure out how to deal with this, because it is extremely frustrating.
[+] 5 users Like Ben's post
17-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Socken,
This place may help you to reduce the arguments in your head - and they can drive you mad, or at least into a temper.

Keep remembering: your mind can be a dangerous neighborhood, a place where you shouldn't go alone.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
21-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I find a simulated environment where I am Master Chief going Halo on Christianity to be a nice vacation spot in Mind. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Excuse the off-topic, but I have to.

HoC, you never disappoint me, I hope you know that. When I see your name in a thread I work myself up like a kid before Chrismas. And you never fail to deliver.

Your #1 fan,

Malleus

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post