Before the Big Bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Before the Big Bang
Before the big bang, someone hit the enter key and started the simulation.

; )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mrhall1923's post
01-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Quote:He says God is a transcendent, immaterial, timeless (he clarified this has meaning eternal), spaceless, eternal, uncaused all powerful entity that created the universe.

But is he faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locomotive? Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound?

Fictional characters can be whatever their originator wishes them to be.

Tell the jesus freak to grow the fuck up.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
01-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Quote:Alex (from CO) said that scientists believe there was something that ...

Scientists don't *believe* things.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
19-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Nothing existed "before" the Big Bang. That's kinda the point.

Hope this helps.
20-02-2018, 01:10 AM
(17-04-2017 09:33 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I was listening to Sunday's (16th Apr) Atheist Experience with Jan Peeples and Matt Dillahunty. Long story short, one caller called Alex (from CO) said that scientists believe there was something that caused the big bang. He also said it was God, because God was timeless, eternal, and two other things I can't remember.

The above is too simplistic a presentation of what was discussed but it's gotten me thinking.

What might have caused the bang to, go bang? Do scientists have a theory? I'm fully aware the Alex is just inserting God simply because scientists don't know, but I was wondering if they have some reason to believe what might have happened?

I'm not trying to preach or troll here. I would just like to have some sort of discussion because I'm admitting to being clueless on this topic.

Thanks

"Scientists don't know - therefore aliens!"

EDIT: Here's the relevant part (at 1 hour 16m 12 secs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4uxzBqf7U

He says God is a transcendent, immaterial, timeless (he clarified this has meaning eternal), spaceless, eternal, uncaused all powerful entity that created the universe.

The thinking is that this entity can exist outside the universe, the universe had a beginning, therefore something had to exist apart from it, therefore, this entity he calls God, 'caused the universe' to come into being.

Has anybody pointed out yet that 'before the big bang' is actually a meaningless phrase, because time as we understand it started with the big bang?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-02-2018, 04:02 AM
Wee simians on a small planet are not going to understand how the whole universe started, that's a given.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2018, 07:42 AM
In my view, all the Big Bang did was create what we call the observable universe. Basically it's just a section of the universe that our particular Big Bang expanded into.

So what existed before the Big Bang?

The universe.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
20-02-2018, 08:08 AM
We live in a universe of space/time.
We process reality as causation. Chronology.
The reality is that the was no "before" before the big bang.
Time began with the big bang.
It's like standing on the north pole and asking which direction is north.
This is not intuitive. But we know that it's true.
We can't see before the big bang because there is no before.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
20-02-2018, 08:38 AM
(20-02-2018 04:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Wee simians on a small planet are not going to understand how the whole universe started, that's a given.

We certainly can't figure it out on our own, but we can know if God chooses to tell us how it happened.

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.
Charles Darwin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2018, 08:38 AM
(20-02-2018 08:08 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  We live in a universe of space/time.
We process reality as causation. Chronology.
The reality is that the was no "before" before the big bang.
Time began with the big bang.
It's like standing on the north pole and asking which direction is north.
This is not intuitive. But we know that it's true.
We can't see before the big bang because there is no before.

Wouldn't that just apply to our observable universe from the result of our Big Bang? If we were to observe the point of expansion as it occured we would likley be viewing a singularity in space.

But if we look to every direction away from that singularity, towards trillions of light years in all directions, we just might see other singularities about to expand, or other singularities that have already expanded.

An infinite number of them.

To me, to say that there was nothing before the Big Bang appears to be completely nonsensical, for what is the Big Bang expanding into? Nothing? How did the singularity get there in the first place? From nothing?

No, the expansion is going somewhere, and the singularity came from something.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!