Beginners Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Beginners Philosophy
Hey everyone,
I will start this thread with an explanation of my angle here.
I am 37 and settled on my position of atheism at about the age of 19. I'm not from a religious background, both parents were pretty much agnostic, I was encouraged to find my own answers in life. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but am not particularly well read in science or philosophy. After reading religious texts and critical literature extensively from about 15, I then actively checked out religion. I eventually settled on morminism at about 17. They leaders of my branch decided I was 'blessed' with a thirst for knowledge as I had a reasonable understanding of most of the prominent religions in my area and was given the role of branch clerk to the bishop. Part of my role was to assist missionaries and church members to find answers to theological questions posed by other religions. Counter for counter as it were. This allowed me to keep my ore in regarding theological reading. The more I learnt about religion as a whole the closer I got to my position of atheism from wishful thinking agnostic. Once I'd made my decision I left religion behind me and am an extremely happy atheist who enjoys life and free thinking.

I still enjoy discussing the subject of religion because I sincerely believe it's an important question and it demands genuine thought. I also like the stories as fiction and like the contextual positions of them in history. However, the more time I spend on forums like this one, watching youtube debates and reading certain books, it highlights to me how little I know about certain subjects in the scheme and philosophical fields.

So, I am a very interested layman. I want some quality literature from good authors that may start to educate me more. Books that don't assume prior knowledge of the subjects. I don't mean atheist standard stuff Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris etc; I have already had the pleasure! I mean introductions to philosophy regarding theological questions and science books about the origins of the universe etc; Please help! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: Beginners Philosophy
Thanks for posting, I'm looking for this myself. What got me interested was the podcast Logically Speaking. They discuss logic, reason, philosophy, and how it all applies to science. I really love it, but some stuff is still way over my head. Worth checking out though!

[Image: dlapuo244d3.png]
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I've been sitting in on this one. It's good and you can still enroll.

Introduction to Philosophy

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-11-2013, 06:55 PM
(11-11-2013 06:05 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thanks for posting, I'm looking for this myself. What got me interested was the podcast Logically Speaking. They discuss logic, reason, philosophy, and how it all applies to science. I really love it, but some stuff is still way over my head. Worth checking out though!

I know the feeling Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
(11-11-2013 06:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've been sitting in on this one. It's good and you can still enroll.

Introduction to Philosophy

Thanks for that. It seems like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Im_Ryan forum member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Philosophy Philosofer123 0 42 19-08-2014 02:02 PM
Last Post: Philosofer123
  Synthesis of Religious Philosophy Rinpoche 19 272 13-08-2014 02:33 PM
Last Post: phil.a
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 49 1,606 11-08-2014 04:06 PM
Last Post: Philosofer123
  vegan philosophy atheistsince1950 113 1,328 09-08-2014 10:34 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Semantic wars on Hemlock Island (or how I got banned from a philosophy forum) Luminon 15 536 21-01-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Philosophy book recommendations natachan 9 261 09-01-2014 07:17 AM
Last Post: Khare
  Can I get some opinions on a philosophy project? Penumbrae 5 365 20-11-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Penumbrae