Beginning literature for more knowledge to "Create an Atheist"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Beginning literature for more knowledge to "Create an Atheist"
The Thinking Atheist has found my life! Better late than never. Seth is wonderful and does an amazing job! So on to my discussion/question.....

I have been an Atheist for a while now. Grew up in a 'soft' christian family. Nothing was ever forced on me, but i visited all types of christian denominational growing up. Nothing ever seemed right. After getting the courage to stand up, I touted myself as a Agnostic. After a small amount of research, it seemed to me that Agnostic's were just Atheist's afraid to make the full step into the 'truth.' I say this not to piss off or discredit any active Agnostic's, its just to give you a better view of were i stand. So.......After listening to the 'Can I talk you out of your faith' podcast i am very interested in reading Peter Boghossian's, A Manual for Creating Atheists. Does anyone suggest any other literature for me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2015, 02:51 PM
RE: Beginning literature for more knowledge to "Create an Atheist"
Anthony Magnabosco has a youtube channel where he talks to believers, it's pretty cool. As far as lit, I've read "God is not Great" and "The God Delusion", both of which I enjoyed, and there are many others.

ps: we seem to have two versions of the same thread going on...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
17-11-2015, 03:37 PM
I liked Voltaire, Nietzsche, Hitchens, Sartre etc etc.

It depends on what religion from which you want to escape I suppose.

God is not great, by Hitchens is probably a good place to start. Wonderful prose, insightful, intelligent....

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-11-2015, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 03:47 PM by Adrianime.)
No literature, but here are some tips...

(17-11-2015 02:05 PM)Corey_Damien Wrote:  The Thinking Atheist has found my life! Better late than never. Seth is wonderful and does an amazing job! So on to my discussion/question.....
Just to clarify, Seth is not "The Thinking Atheist" (he would confirm this), that is just his brand.
Quote:I have been an Atheist for a while now. Grew up in a 'soft' christian family. Nothing was ever forced on me, but i visited all types of christian denominational growing up. Nothing ever seemed right. After getting the courage to stand up, I touted myself as a Agnostic.
"atheist" and "agnostic" are not proper nouns and do not need to be capitalized.
Quote:After a small amount of research, it seemed to me that Agnostic's were just Atheist's afraid to make the full step into the 'truth.' I say this not to piss off or discredit any active Agnostic's, its just to give you a better view of were i stand.
The consensus seems to be that atheism = belief (lack of), agnosticism = knowledge (lack of). The preceding "a" meaning "without" for both gnosticism and theism.
Most atheists (not including myself) are agnostic atheists, or those who lack a belief in the existence of any deities but don't claim to have knowledge of the non-existence of deities.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Great, I will definitely check those out. Apparently, i need to do more research! lol I haven't really engaged in many conversations about my religious thoughts because of my lack of info and i want to change that. I will not be that guy that just regurgitates someone else's words and never have an original idea.
[+] 2 users Like Corey_Damien's post
17-11-2015, 06:21 PM
There are quite a few resources listed in goodwithoutgod's thread, too.
17-11-2015, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 07:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-11-2015 02:05 PM)Corey_Damien Wrote:  .... i am very interested in reading Peter Boghossian's, A Manual for Creating Atheists. Does anyone suggest any other literature for me?
Never heard of him. Never heard of the manual either. Is this worth Girly's read or just more atheist/theist No Exit or Waiting on Godot ennui and angst? Not sure why I would want to preferentially create atheists. They tend to be assholes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Read the Bible. It'll make ya an atheist in under an hour. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2015, 07:25 PM
(17-11-2015 03:44 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  No literature, but here are some tips...

(17-11-2015 02:05 PM)Corey_Damien Wrote:  The Thinking Atheist has found my life! Better late than never. Seth is wonderful and does an amazing job! So on to my discussion/question.....
Just to clarify, Seth is not "The Thinking Atheist" (he would confirm this), that is just his brand.
Quote:I have been an Atheist for a while now. Grew up in a 'soft' christian family. Nothing was ever forced on me, but i visited all types of christian denominational growing up. Nothing ever seemed right. After getting the courage to stand up, I touted myself as a Agnostic.
"atheist" and "agnostic" are not proper nouns and do not need to be capitalized.
Quote:After a small amount of research, it seemed to me that Agnostic's were just Atheist's afraid to make the full step into the 'truth.' I say this not to piss off or discredit any active Agnostic's, its just to give you a better view of were i stand.
The consensus seems to be that atheism = belief (lack of), agnosticism = knowledge (lack of). The preceding "a" meaning "without" for both gnosticism and theism.
Most atheists (not including myself) are agnostic atheists, or those who lack a belief in the existence of any deities but don't claim to have knowledge of the non-existence of deities.

Quote:The consensus seems to be that atheism = belief (lack of), agnosticism = knowledge (lack of). The preceding "a" meaning "without" for both gnosticism and theism.

Thanks for that!

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
17-11-2015, 08:33 PM
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris. Deconverted by Seth Andrews, What you don't know about Religion (but should) by Dr. Ryan Cragun to name a few.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More