Beginning literature for more knowledge to "Create an Atheist"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 09:11 PM
RE: Beginning literature for more knowledge to "Create an Atheist"
(17-11-2015 07:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Read the Bible. It'll make ya an atheist in under an hour. Facepalm

Yep. Worked for me.

I read Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things a while back and it really gave me a framework to question my beliefs. I was not actively seeking to de-convert myself, but rather stumbled on the book at time when I was experiencing quite a bit of cognitive dissonance (though I did not know that was what it was at the time.) It would be years later before I realized I was an atheist. Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth is another good one that I read not realizing what it might do to my faith.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
17-11-2015, 09:36 PM
(17-11-2015 05:03 PM)Corey_Damien Wrote:  Great, I will definitely check those out. Apparently, i need to do more research! lol I haven't really engaged in many conversations about my religious thoughts because of my lack of info and i want to change that. I will not be that guy that just regurgitates someone else's words and never have an original idea.

Bolding mine. Thinking for oneself is one of the main traits of an atheist. It's kind of painful if you have always let some authority figure do it for you in the past, but the rewards are great. (snorting coke off whatever, eating mushrooms, hot and cold running members of the opposite sex, etc.). Actually, I made that last part up. Hope it doesn't make you go running away saying "Oh, Gawd!". Tongue
17-11-2015, 10:54 PM
(17-11-2015 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 02:05 PM)Corey_Damien Wrote:  .... i am very interested in reading Peter Boghossian's, A Manual for Creating Atheists. Does anyone suggest any other literature for me?
Never heard of him. Never heard of the manual either. Is this worth Girly's read or just more atheist/theist No Exit or Waiting on Godot ennui and angst? Not sure why I would want to preferentially create atheists. They tend to be assholes.

I haven't read it, but I think it just gives a productive way to talk to theists about how they started believing in god and how faith is not a reliable method. I've seen videos talking to people using this method and it's more productive than apologetics for sure.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
18-11-2015, 08:24 AM
(17-11-2015 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never heard of him. Never heard of the manual either. Is this worth Girly's read or just more atheist/theist No Exit or Waiting on Godot ennui and angst? Not sure why I would want to preferentially create atheists. They tend to be assholes.

It's more about HOW to talk to people. It really works for other things as well. It is basically a detailed outline of the Socratic method, just angled at religion. Since we all are well aware that many of the faithful will apply the Socratic Method towards any facet of their lives except their faith, it is a method to get them to do so. The idea is that if you engage people by asking simple questions and not going on the offensive directly, you can get people to think about their beliefs and not shut down. It sort of engages Occam's Razor to their faith simply by asking questions. One mistake that I always make is when someone says something stupid, I point that out. His method essentially has you NOT pointing that out but asking follow up questions to get THEM to re-examine what they said. It is all about the way you play the game.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac