Being Afraid of People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Being Afraid of People?
So I'm kind of afraid of my Aunt Eva. She has paranoid delusional schizophrenia. When she's on her meds she's fine, but even so I'm edgy around her. Does that make a bad person, since I know she can't help it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: Being Afraid of People?
(17-08-2013 05:10 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  So I'm kind of afraid of my Aunt Eva. She has paranoid delusional schizophrenia. When she's on her meds she's fine, but even so I'm edgy around her. Does that make a bad person, since I know she can't help it?

Her a bad person, or you a bad person?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Me a bad person for being afraid of her. Even though she can't help being mentally ill, or that she's not safe off her meds.
17-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Its normal to feel unease when you are getting to know someone who suffers from something like that. It's how you treat them that matters. Honestly if shes taking her medication you don't have anything to worry about.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
17-08-2013, 06:18 PM
You're not a bad person, just human.

But the Hobbit Princess is right - how you treat her is what's important. Just do the best you can.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Well... we only got one natural predator... each other. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Try thinking about this....

Imagine being her. I'm sure she's probably aware that she makes people nervous when they find out about her disease. I bet she'd appreciate people getting to know her better. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
17-08-2013, 06:46 PM
If there's one thing we cannot control, it's fear. If you feel afraid or uncomfortable there's nothing you can really do except to learn to face the problem.

I know someone who's schizophrenic and without medication she can get very unpredictable and dangerous... more a danger to herself than to others. Those likely to harm others are generally kept in hospital...

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits... - George Carlin.
17-08-2013, 07:21 PM
(17-08-2013 06:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  If there's one thing we cannot control, it's fear. If you feel afraid or uncomfortable there's nothing you can really do except to learn to face the problem.

I know someone who's schizophrenic and without medication she can get very unpredictable and dangerous... more a danger to herself than to others. Those likely to harm others are generally kept in hospital...
Well that's the thing she is dangerous to other people off her meds. Which is why she scares me. My uncle assures me that she takes them regularly now. But I still don't trust her.
17-08-2013, 10:15 PM
(17-08-2013 06:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well... we only got one natural predator... each other. Evil_monster

And bacteria, viruses, bears, zombies, vampires, God, pointy sticks, falling rocks, tornadoes, bears, AI (Especially with laser cannons), ourselves, hurricanes, asteroids, the government, typhoons, gonorrhea, sirens, sand storms, snow storms, giant flaming balls of fire that attack us from underneath, aliens, lions, The Umbrella Cooperation, poor nutrition, lack of exercise, time, super villains, loneliness, knowledge, wood chippers, hail, rabid dogs, angry spirits, sharks, The Darma Initiative, entropy...you know what, I'm just going to cut to the chase, the universe wants us dead. Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post