Being Raised Without Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Being Raised Without Religion
I was just wondering how many people here have always been atheists. It's just that everyone I have ever known was raised Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Zoroastrian, or Jewish. Apart from my sisters, I know of no one who was not indoctrinated at some point in their life, and everyone who is atheist only started questioning their faith as a teenager or adult.

But I never had the experience of being part of a religion. My mother was raised Catholic but is non-practicing, and my father was raised Anglican but is not involved in religion at all. As a child my family celebrated Christmas and Easter, but they were treated the same as Halloween - there was never a religious element to it. Holidays only involved gifts, meals, and decorations. No mentions of Jesus or God, and the only visits I ever had to churches were for funerals.

So, this whole 'religion' thing seems alien to me. The idea of belief in a god, of fables, and of magic is a foreign concept. Gods and magic is a thing of fantasy. To take such things seriously has always seemed strange, like a time-traveler coming across an ancient pagan sacrificing a bull to please the gods of the sky. I have never distinguished between that kind of silly superstition and the kind held by my peers and friends. I just did not realize what they were professing to believe until several years ago when I began reading about religions. To me it is obviously nonsense, and simple rational thinking can show that to be so, yet it remains so common in this era of great knowledge and advancement. Sometimes I feel like an outsider in my own land.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM
RE: Being Raised Without Religion
*click*
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Our kids are being raised without religion. We've never really did much about Easter...except for the whole coloring Easter eggs outdoors only...and chocolate bunnies...yum. Never did the Easter bunny crap tho...or the tooth fairly...

We did do Santa.

But no, the kids were never part of a religion...husband and I were both more or less Catholic...but more so atheist.

I sometimes wonder if my kids when they get older and are more exposed to deeply religious people what they'll think.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

12-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Being raised without religion seems to be a rare thing. I went through all 38 pages of the thread linked by Vosur, and possibly 5 people weren't exposed to religion as children, though I'm not sure because the posts were too short. Let's hope it becomes a trend. We shouldn't need to deconvert or question our faiths, because we shouldn't have religion in our lives in the first place.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
13-03-2013, 03:59 AM
(12-03-2013 03:49 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I was just wondering how many people here have always been atheists. It's just that everyone I have ever known was raised Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Zoroastrian, or Jewish. Apart from my sisters, I know of no one who was not indoctrinated at some point in their life, and everyone who is atheist only started questioning their faith as a teenager or adult.

But I never had the experience of being part of a religion. My mother was raised Catholic but is non-practicing, and my father was raised Anglican but is not involved in religion at all. As a child my family celebrated Christmas and Easter, but they were treated the same as Halloween - there was never a religious element to it. Holidays only involved gifts, meals, and decorations. No mentions of Jesus or God, and the only visits I ever had to churches were for funerals.

So, this whole 'religion' thing seems alien to me. The idea of belief in a god, of fables, and of magic is a foreign concept. Gods and magic is a thing of fantasy. To take such things seriously has always seemed strange, like a time-traveler coming across an ancient pagan sacrificing a bull to please the gods of the sky. I have never distinguished between that kind of silly superstition and the kind held by my peers and friends. I just did not realize what they were professing to believe until several years ago when I began reading about religions. To me it is obviously nonsense, and simple rational thinking can show that to be so, yet it remains so common in this era of great knowledge and advancement. Sometimes I feel like an outsider in my own land.
We are outsiders in a way.

I was baptized a Catholic,but my parents were non-observant. My family treated Christmas and Easter like you say your's did.

Never had to deal with any religious drama with my family,even when I told them I was a nonbeliever. Big Grin
13-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm raising my kids without religion. I have been Pagan since I was about 16, and moved from a goddess centred paganism to a Cosmos-centred heathenism, but never made any reference to god or a creator-type-person to my kids. I figured they needed to find their own Path, whatever it was, however they got there, and it was up to me to only make sure they had room to explore.

This means that my 16 year old son is an atheist (no proof, Mum) and my 13 year old is a heathen (Loves her some Mother Earth) leaving my 9 year old to tell me, "I don't believe in God, because, no proof. That's OK, right?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RedHead Confetti's post
13-03-2013, 07:53 PM
(13-03-2013 06:57 PM)RedHead Confetti Wrote:  I'm raising my kids without religion. I have been Pagan since I was about 16, and moved from a goddess centred paganism to a Cosmos-centred heathenism, but never made any reference to god or a creator-type-person to my kids. I figured they needed to find their own Path, whatever it was, however they got there, and it was up to me to only make sure they had room to explore.

This means that my 16 year old son is an atheist (no proof, Mum) and my 13 year old is a heathen (Loves her some Mother Earth) leaving my 9 year old to tell me, "I don't believe in God, because, no proof. That's OK, right?"

Well done. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2013, 07:36 PM
(12-03-2013 04:42 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Being raised without religion seems to be a rare thing. I went through all 38 pages of the thread linked by Vosur, and possibly 5 people weren't exposed to religion as children, though I'm not sure because the posts were too short. Let's hope it becomes a trend. We shouldn't need to deconvert or question our faiths, because we shouldn't have religion in our lives in the first place.
Elesjei,

I am happy that you were raised without religion for it is a rare and wonderful thing. In the future, I hope to see many more people like yourself. However, please never forget that many of us who were raised with religion still have wounds to heal, and some of us (like me) have a few wounds from their religious days that may never quite heal.

As one who has never believed, I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks.

Julius
14-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I was raised without a religion, too.
We've NEVER talked about religion or god until I was like 18-19.
15-03-2013, 12:31 AM
I was raised irreligious. I use Irreligious because religion wasn't mentioned at all. neither was atheism or any type of personal beliefs. I gave Christianity a shot for about 4 years, turned out to be a buncha bullshit. Turns out not being indoctrinated early has a bad effect on their usual methods of conversion.