Being a high maintenance girl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Being a high maintenance girl
In the past eight years what is with this hate against high maintenance girl? I love high maintenance growing I'm perfectly okay per se but you're some reason people seem to think that just because I have high standards that I'm going to turn out as some evil money hungry bitch. I mean there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a jeans and T-shirts kind of girl, but that's just not me I like ruffles and cotton and corsets and ribbons and bows and I just don't see anything wrong with that. Yes when I have the money I shop every chance I get, and I think gourmet meals at least once every two weeks is a must. And I don't see what's wrong with taking two to three hours in the bathroom if I come out looking fabulous. It's not like I do it on a daily basis, on average I take about two hours in the bathroom so there!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 09:04 PM by sporehux.)
RE: Being a high maintenance girl
Gourmet meals even twice a week is not high maintenance, my definition of a high maintenance girl would be.

They refuse to work
Never cook, always want to eat out
Expect you to pay for everything (because they wont look for work)
Whinge about where you live and demand to move all the time so as to keep moving closer to their ultimate McMansion ideal.

i am the Friend this guy is singing about.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 09:08 PM
If I call somebody high maintenance, it's not about how they maintain themselves. It's about how needy they are with their friendships/relationships. If a girl is whiney and won't let her boyfriend go hang out with his friends, she's high maintenance. If a friend is constantly looking for confirmation that you like hanging out with him/her and gets affronted if you decline an invitation,that friend is high maintenance.

Reading through that, I guess for me high maintenance= insecure. Meaning I have to do a lot of work to maintain the relationship. I don't like that.

I think what sporehux described is just Barbie Bitch Princess.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
11-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I've been called high maintenance just because I like pretty and expensive things. No other reason really, I do pamper myself a bit when it comes to bathtime. But yeah most of my being called high maintenance has to do with my liking shiny stuff.
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Psh, all girls like pretty things!
11-12-2013, 10:06 PM
My ex wife was high maintenance. My gripes are:

- Expected me to basically spend a ridiculous amount of my income on her as if she was owed it
- Was incredibly selfish
- Felt entitled to spend money frivolously without permission out of my bank (example, once bought a louis vuitton with her initials and I had to dig into my investments to pay bills that month because she "felt like she deserved it" otherwise I'd miss rent. I wasn't happy when I saw that money missing from my account.)
- Cared more about the appearance of herself and her friends than having friends that weren't shallow assholes
- Refused to hang out in public with my "nerdy ass friends" because they "made us look stupid" - I like my friends, I'm proud of my friends and if they are good people, who cares?
- Expected me to buy the latest and greatest of everything, got pissed if I didn't want to or felt like it

It affected me pretty negatively. I felt like I was dating someone who was immature and was a self entitled shithead. Unfortunately I was young, naive and didn't do a very good job of seeing through the shit I had gotten myself into. I was in debt up to my eyeballs "maintaining" her and her BS.

I don't think it is selfish to:

- Enjoy nice things
- Pamper yourself
- Treat yourself to nice things
- Maintain a nice image

However, I do feel that if you are a shithead to other human beings and make people feel like shit because of your attitude over it, that you are in general a shitty human being (not directing this at you, just saying, in general). I enjoy nice things as well, but it is not worth stress and treating other humans like garbage because you want to be "a classy motherfucker" - I suppose it depends on what people define as "high maintenance" - just because someone is beautiful and likes to treat themselves doesn't make you high maintenance. If you expect them to buy things for you to maintain a lifestyle and a person is a pain in the ass in a relationship over it, I'd call that high maintenance.

I remarried years later. I love my wife to death. She loves bubble baths and looking pretty and loves makeup, she enjoys her car and she likes fine little things and luxuries. However, she doesn't expect me to buy them for her. Often times, she gets pissed if I try because I often don't understand things like makeup and nail stuff. She has her own job, she buys her own stuff. She helps out with stuff, she doesn't expect me to pay all the bills, etc.

If she can do that and she wants to treat herself to nice stuff? Hell, power to her, go for it. Doesn't bother me a bit. I have expensive tastes, probably more so than my wife. I don't expect her to buy me expensive stuff or waste her income on me. If we exchange gifts and luxury stuff, we do it because we want to, not because we try to make the other feel obligated.

If someone says, "you're high maintenance" after exiting a relationship, it may be a sign that they felt obligated to provide those things or maintain a lifestyle for a person which might be a moment to take a step back and ask, "Why did they feel that way?" or "What specifically was it that they felt I insinuated such a thing?" especially if it wasn't intended. I think there's always things to take from relationships, so it's a good thing to ponder if such a thing is said. Otherwise, if people are saying it just to say it, well, they're probably a little jelly that you have expensive taste.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
11-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I never expect someone to buy my things for me! I mostly just get teased because my friends are either boys or tomboys and I'm the only girly girl in the bunch. So I think they think my scrubbing and crying over broken nails is high maintenance. I do have my rich bitch moments, but if someone has different tastes than me I'm probably going to go try it. Admittedly I do wrinkle my nose at country music and anyone who chews tobacco. I suppose you could put my personality somewhere between a mashup of a loli Goth and Nymphadora Tonks.
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
11-12-2013, 10:43 PM
(11-12-2013 10:38 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I never expect someone to buy my things for me! I mostly just get teased because my friends are either boys or tomboys and I'm the only girly girl in the bunch. So I think they think my scrubbing and crying over broken nails is high maintenance. I do have my rich bitch moments, but if someone has different tastes than me I'm probably going to go try it. Admittedly I do wrinkle my nose at country music and anyone who chews tobacco. I suppose you could put my personality somewhere between a mashup of a loli Goth and Nymphadora Tonks.

That doesn't sound high maintenance to me. You don't sound demanding or self entitled. I'd just call that who has tastes they enjoy and don't mind maintaining Wink Nothing wrong with that. I'm not a big fan of country music either, don't feel bad (and I grew up in a cowboy town).

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
11-12-2013, 10:43 PM
It's funny how a girl wanting to look nice is automatically "high maintenance"

This makes me mad in the same way a girl who wants a financial stable partner is automatically a "golddigger"

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-12-2013, 10:46 PM
(11-12-2013 10:43 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It's funny how a girl wanting to look nice is automatically "high maintenance"

This makes me mad in the same way a girl who wants a financial stable partner is automatically a "golddigger"

Someone who wants to be involved with someone financially stable doesn't scream gold digger to me. Just means they prefer stability. Stability is not a bad thing.