Being afraid of one's own body

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
RE: Being afraid of one's own body
(08-03-2011 02:21 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Cetaceaphile I have to ask , what religious faith or idea was your friend thought ?
It could be that being indoctrinated with the idea that sex is something dirty he may grow repulsed by his own genitalia.Did he try therapy ?
He was actually raised without a religion and I'm pretty sure his mother is an atheist. He says his fear of his own genitals has been there as long as he can remember.

Quote:Also , sorry to hear your circumcision is getting to you - did you think of singing up for new procedures ? Maybe they can regenerate your foreskin :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7354458.stm
(this news story really impressed me in regard to medical technology)
I would, but male genital mutilation doesn't fall under the NHS, not unless I can prove it happened through malpractice (which it obviously did because I was 11, not a muslim or a jew and had no disease, and even by fucked up laws in the UK it's malpractice, but I would still have to somehow prove it) and only if it happened within the last 5 years.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 08:50 PM
(08-03-2011 12:47 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Are those menstruation cups? How do they work?

Why yes, they are. Big Grin This happens to be a subject that I like talking about. Lucky for you, or maybe not.

My first reaction to these was, "ick". But then I gave it some thought. I won't go into the gory details here, but they are MUCH more comfortable than traditional disposable products, and there is obviously less waste since you can use the same one for years. The basic premise is, you put it in, take it out and empty it every 8-12 hours, and put it back in. The cup shape catches all the stuff.

There IS definitely a learning curve to know how to put them in right, and comfortably. There are several brands and some work better for certain people than others. They come in different sizes, most brands offer 2. Most of them are silicone but I know of at least one brand that is rubber latex. The one I posted is my personal favorite but there are others.

I HIGHLY recommend these. You get over the ick factor very quickly when you realize how much more comfortable and convenient they are. I wish I had known about them years ago.

I can give you more info if you want it, but that covers the basics. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
@Cetaceaphile
What if you volunteered as a patient - it is a prototype technology . They may need volunteers .
Or does your medical insurance fail to protect you if something goes wrong ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-03-2011, 11:39 PM
If something goes wrong then I'm sure the NHS would have to deal with it, but then again they may require that you have health insurance to sign up. I know they started doing that recently with some types of drug test.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2011, 01:01 AM
(08-03-2011 08:50 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(08-03-2011 12:47 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Are those menstruation cups? How do they work?

Why yes, they are. Big Grin This happens to be a subject that I like talking about. Lucky for you, or maybe not.

My first reaction to these was, "ick". But then I gave it some thought. I won't go into the gory details here, but they are MUCH more comfortable than traditional disposable products, and there is obviously less waste since you can use the same one for years. The basic premise is, you put it in, take it out and empty it every 8-12 hours, and put it back in. The cup shape catches all the stuff.

There IS definitely a learning curve to know how to put them in right, and comfortably. There are several brands and some work better for certain people than others. They come in different sizes, most brands offer 2. Most of them are silicone but I know of at least one brand that is rubber latex. The one I posted is my personal favorite but there are others.

I HIGHLY recommend these. You get over the ick factor very quickly when you realize how much more comfortable and convenient they are. I wish I had known about them years ago.

I can give you more info if you want it, but that covers the basics. Wink
Don't you have to sanitize them?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-03-2011, 03:26 AM
I love those cups too Trillium though due to my unique body more as a suggestion to other women than for myself. (always afraid of what to use to stop rectal menstruation)

Fear of the body is quite common in many places, often due to parents who dislike touch or who are less actively available in early childhood. The religious "sinful flesh" doesn't help though =p The embarrassment factor is hilarious to me though since often I'm the one changing out in the open in the women's locker room (like anybody looks =p) Having a penis is not that hard of a thing to hide.

I had a long time fear of my penis. At some point in early childhood I decided it had gotten to the point I can't spray it with water to clean, and so I had to touch it. Gender confusion comes from your surroundings generally, but it can be an internal struggle such as the feeling of an alien organism. What could be more alien than something attached to your body that moves without you telling it to, and generally does what it wants? The first step to handling gender confusion is working past the idea that your body is not you, this generally saves a lot of people tons of money and their ability to reproduce.

Many people who gain these unnatural fears from their childhood have violent reactions to parts of their body. Often therapy is required to deal with accepting something that has been with you since birth/childhood.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Being afraid of one's own body
I was just waiting for your reaction Lilith. Wink

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
(09-03-2011 01:01 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Don't you have to sanitize them?

You just wash it out in between emptyings with a mild soap or even just hot water. The silicone is very easy to keep clean. Once you're done with it for that month, you boil it for 10-15 minutes. Easy peasy. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
09-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Is knowledge of female anatomy a good way to impress women or does it just make you come across as gross ?

Yeah - stupid question - but I had to ask.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I think it may depend on the context. Wink