Being an atheist and stupid cunts on the tele.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 06:08 PM
RE: Being an atheist and stupid cunts on the tele.
I saw the first episode of Man in the High Castle and didn't feel like watching the second, I just didn't feel it and now I'm glad, why do people gotta villainize atheists?

I notice it a lot in reality competition shows, I watch a lot of cooking shows like Chopped, Top Chef, Masterchef, etc. and Survivor, Amazing Race and man lately I swear everyone is hardcore religious.

You watch an entire show or season and you're rooting for one person and they win and you're like "Yay!" and they open their mouths and say "This is for Jesus! His love is so great and I wouldn't be able to do anything without him! Anything through Christ!" and then I sit down like "What! Why?! I didn't even know you were Christian!" It's a betrayal, it's just wrong. Keep your religion out of it please, I'm trying to be entertained here and you ruined it!

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
02-09-2016, 06:13 PM
(02-09-2016 03:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Like Fear of the Walking Dead, Strand is gay. Why?? Why is Strand gay? His character does not fit being gay.

I'm all for this more accepting of gayness, but really? you don't need to force it into everything and over highlight the fact you have a gay character or a gay couple.
It's off putting and ruins a good movie or tv show half the time.

If the straight couples aren't being highlighted as being incredible heterosexual, why are the gays being highlighted as being incredible gay?

Oh I forgot to reply to the gay thing, have you read about the "Bury your Gays" trope? It's very common and I never really noticed it but yes there seem to be a lot of gay characters around and usually one of them will die, even with Strand, his lover who we are to assume was his soul mate dies but Strand is just fine. Watch this video for more examples:

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
02-09-2016, 06:54 PM
(02-09-2016 03:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Anyone else find movies or tv shows completely ruined by the directors slipping religion in there and making the whole thing a metaphor for religion and great Korean Jesus is?

Like, you're sitting there enjoying a good movie or tv show and than a scene comes on and it's about the main character getting all touchy feely over a fucking bible and it immediately ruins the movie.

It's like if you were enjoying a nice big juice piece of mud cake and suddenly you bit into a big clog of unmixed baking powder.

Perfect example. The Man in the High Castle.
A show on Amazon Prime about an alternative reality where the Nazi's and Japs won the second world war and split up the US. The concept is fantastic, it sounds like it's right up my alley as shit I'd watch. Watch the first episode, all is promising.
Second episode.. big fat glob of baking soda. They're trying to say that the bible's been banned and the main character is amazed to see a dude reading one and they talk about the bible and blah blah and they try to claim that the Nazi's are Atheists.
Ruined. Whole show ruined. I downloaded the first 10 episodes, I gotta delete them now.

Whoever made this show is an idiot.

It's not just atheism though. Often it happens to me with gay shit too where the movies going fine and half way through it turns into a propaganda for gay rights. Looking at you The Imitation Game...
Why everything gotta be about gay rights now? Every show or movie seems to just HAVE to have a gay character of some sorts. Like Fear of the Walking Dead, Strand is gay. Why?? Why is Strand gay? His character does not fit being gay.

I'm all for this more accepting of gayness, but really? you don't need to force it into everything and over highlight the fact you have a gay character or a gay couple.
It's off putting and ruins a good movie or TV show half the time.

If the straight couples aren't being highlighted as being incredible heterosexual, why are the gays being highlighted as being incredible gay?
For the religious shit, I think it's fucking propaganda really. The US specifically is so (generally) scared that suddenly it might be secular with a clear line between state and church, finally and as intend by the founding fathers. So it needs to be topic in every fucking movie or series at least once. See how churches are losing members and are struggling to bring new ones in. They are desperate because they know that they are dieing (spelling correct?) out.

Gay stuff, I don't mind there being more gay characters in movies and series, as long as they are not always portrayed as something special. Just have their character be normal, the way that most gays are (at least most gay people that I know are just normal). And the fact that they are gay is not even made a topic in the series but should be treated like the hetero characters. Just be, live, have relationships, have your friggen drama because it's TV but yea... I get your being annoyed, earmuffs. I feel annoyed by the increase of special snowflakes too.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
02-09-2016, 07:55 PM
(02-09-2016 06:13 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 03:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Like Fear of the Walking Dead, Strand is gay. Why?? Why is Strand gay? His character does not fit being gay.

It's off putting and ruins a good movie or tv show half the time.

Oh I forgot to reply to the gay thing, have you read about the "Bury your Gays" trope? It's very common and I never really noticed it but yes there seem to be a lot of gay characters around and usually one of them will die, even with Strand, his lover who we are to assume was his soul mate dies but Strand is just fine. Watch this video for more examples:

I feel like this is one of those things that now that I'm aware of it, I'm gonna notice it everywhere.

Quote:Gay stuff, I don't mind there being more gay characters in movies and series, as long as they are not always portrayed as something special. Just have their character be normal, the way that most gays are (at least most gay people that I know are just normal). And the fact that they are gay is not even made a topic in the series but should be treated like the hetero characters. Just be, live, have relationships, have your friggen drama because it's TV but yea... I get your being annoyed, earmuffs.

Yea this is what I mean. Why can't they just be 'normal' characters, why do they have to be 'gay' characters?
I think black people can relate a lot to this too.

Quote:I feel annoyed by the increase of special snowflakes too.

Not limited to tv and movies.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-09-2016, 11:54 PM
I think your choice of The Imitation Game was a poor example.

Turing was an absolute hero and very much was persecuted to the point of suicide by a homophobic society; people needed to know both of those things. It's a great movie. I watched it with a White Supremacist cellmate and he was so moved by the film (especially the outstanding performance of Benedict Cumberbatch) that he started talking about it with me, and eventually stopped being homophobic entirely. If you knew the amount of hate and vitriol that had come out of his mouth toward anyone who wasn't a WASP, prior to that, you'd know how amazing that transformation was. I know I was shocked!

He was recently released and got in touch with me on Facebook to let me know that he'd also given up on racism as a result of our talks... and all of them were made possible by that film.

To you, it might not be a big deal, since you don't care who belongs to what racial group, religion, or sexual orientation, so you're annoyed at efforts to show those groups in a more favorable light than has been the norm in the past. I get it. But I think every little step toward treating our fellow human beings decently is critically important, and those types of movies/films go a long way toward informing the cultural zeitgeist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2016, 12:23 AM
(02-09-2016 11:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
I think every little step toward treating our fellow human beings decently is critically important,

You do know you're talking to Muffsy, right?

Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-09-2016, 12:42 AM
(03-09-2016 12:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 11:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
I think every little step toward treating our fellow human beings decently is critically important,

You do know you're talking to Muffsy, right?

Undecided

Hope springs eternal, my friend. Hobo

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2016, 12:46 AM
(02-09-2016 04:04 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Was kind of looking forward to Man in high castle.

Have a freind who'se raved about the book for years. That they actually, effectivly gloss over the RC church's tacit approval of those God fearig/accepting Nazis against the Godless Comunists?

Sigh Sad

Yay, at work again! Banana_zorro Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
03-09-2016, 12:48 AM
(03-09-2016 12:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You do know you're talking to Muffsy, right?

Undecided

Hope springs eternal, my friend. Hobo

Hertzsprung-Russell diagram!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-09-2016, 12:59 AM
(03-09-2016 12:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Hope springs eternal, my friend. Hobo

Hertzsprung-Russell diagram!

Yesssssss!!!!! SHIT IS FINALLY SINKING IN! Banana_zorro

I knew exactly what the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram was without having to Google it or open a textbook.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post