Being an atheist in England compared to being an atheist here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Being an atheist in England compared to being an atheist here.
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject, having experienced it myself.

I lived in England for 15 years of my life, most of them as an atheist, and it really wasn't an issue to anyone I came across. In fact, most of the people I went to school with thought the same way as me about religion. Of course there were a handful of people who started a bible club... but it wasn't popular.

Anyway, I never ever felt awkward about telling people I'm an atheist while I was living over there. I'm proud to be an atheist, but I'll admit I sometimes feel awkward about revealing that to people here in the states. My husband is from Oklahoma, and he's admitted to me that it's rare to find open atheists there. Prime example, I visited my in laws not so long ago, and my mother-in-law wanted myself and Cody to go to church with her one Sunday... Pentecostal church. I went, to be polite to her, but when offered communion of course I turned it down - it's a religious ritual that I won't be a part of. My refusal to take communion raised more than a few eyebrows. Anyway, before this my in laws had no idea I was an atheist - I don't feel the need to introduce myself as one, or tell people unless it is brought up. All of Cody's family are Christians, so now it's made it a little awkward for me. But my point is that I shouldn't have to feel awkward! I never did before, so what is it with this country?

Dodgy

'It's not a lie, if you believe it.' - George Costanza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 11:22 PM
RE: Being an atheist in England compared to being an atheist here.
(27-03-2014 11:11 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  so what is it with this country?

Dodgy

Rampant christianity. I see you've noticed. If you can, please vote. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-03-2014, 11:24 PM
(27-03-2014 11:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:11 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  so what is it with this country?

Dodgy

Rampant christianity. I see you've noticed. If you can, please vote. Drinking Beverage

I do vote, hopefully it will have some effect.

27-03-2014, 11:25 PM
We are a young country still struggling with adolecent pains.

I think what's going on is that religion is experiencing a death throe here in the US, with the advent of technology information regarding EVERYTHING is accessible and it is supplanting all the woo previous generations held. The powers that be (don't for one minute think that religion doesn't hold on to power and money more feverishly than any person could) do not want to relinquish either.

Anyway, the rest of the world already had their inquisitions and holocausts due in great part to their then fanatical religionists, we have to go through a bit of pain before we can get beyond it as well. My two cents worth.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2014, 11:29 PM
(27-03-2014 11:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We are a young country still struggling with adolecent pains.

I think what's going on is that religion is experiencing a death throe here in the US, with the advent of technology information regarding EVERYTHING is accessible and it is supplanting all the woo previous generations held. The powers that be (don't for one minute think that religion doesn't hold on to power and money more feverishly than any person could) do not want to relinquish either.

Anyway, the rest of the world already had their inquisitions and holocausts due in great part to their then fanatical religionists, we have to go through a bit of pain before we can get beyond it as well. My two cents worth.

It annoys me how religion is so linked into politics here, too. In England it reeeeally wasn't obvious that some parties were also representing Christianity. I've heard it said here, that if you don't vote Conservative, you're not a Christian. What on earth..?

27-03-2014, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 11:38 PM by Full Circle.)
(27-03-2014 11:29 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  It annoys me how religion is so linked into politics here, too. In England it reeeeally wasn't obvious that some parties were also representing Christianity. I've heard it said here, that if you don't vote Conservative, you're not a Christian. What on earth..?

It is, BUT isn't the head of the Church of England the reigning monarch? Plus of the 44 diocesan archbishops and bishops in the Church of England, 26 are permitted to sit in the House of Lords? Milady, methinks you too have religion and politics tightly linked in your country.

Just saying...

** I just reread your reply and realized you are speaking OF England, pardon me, I misunderstood. Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-03-2014, 11:41 PM
(27-03-2014 11:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We are a young country still struggling with adolecent pains.

I dunno FC. On it's face, that statement is right on. But given our history, and the pace at which the world operates these days, we can also be compared to the dying days of Rome. Our greedy attempts at global conquest stretching us too thin to be supported.

The challenges that religion presents us seems to me to be an all too easy distraction from the fucked up way the power's that be are using our resources. The people in charge like to keep it that way.

Maybe I've just listened to too much Chomsky.... Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
27-03-2014, 11:43 PM
(27-03-2014 11:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:29 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  It annoys me how religion is so linked into politics here, too. In England it reeeeally wasn't obvious that some parties were also representing Christianity. I've heard it said here, that if you don't vote Conservative, you're not a Christian. What on earth..?

It is, BUT isn't the head of the Church of England the reigning monarch? Plus of the 44 diocesan archbishops and bishops in the Church of England, 26 are permitted to sit in the House of Lords? Milady, methinks you too have religion and politics tightly linked in your country.

Just saying...

First of all, not my country. Lived there as a military child. Also, you are correct about the monarchy. I apologize for making it seem like England is better, or whatever you gathered from that post. However, I never felt as surrounded by Christianity as I do here. Simply my point.

27-03-2014, 11:45 PM
(27-03-2014 11:43 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It is, BUT isn't the head of the Church of England the reigning monarch? Plus of the 44 diocesan archbishops and bishops in the Church of England, 26 are permitted to sit in the House of Lords? Milady, methinks you too have religion and politics tightly linked in your country.

Just saying...

First of all, not my country. Lived there as a military child. Also, you are correct about the monarchy. I apologize for making it seem like England is better, or whatever you gathered from that post. However, I never felt as surrounded by Christianity as I do here. Simply my point. Smile

27-03-2014, 11:46 PM
(27-03-2014 11:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

I dunno FC. On it's face, that statement is right on. But given our history, and the pace at which the world operates these days, we can also be compared to the dying days of Rome. Our greedy attempts at global conquest stretching us too thin to be supported.

The challenges that religion presents us seems to me to be an all too easy distraction from the fucked up way the power's that be are using our resources. The people in charge like to keep it that way.

Maybe I've just listened to too much Chomsky.... Dodgy

I've heard the same thing, comparing the US to Rome. Maybe, who knows. What I'm saying is that in Europe they have outhouses older than our country, they've had a long time to spill blood over religion and have moved away from it.

I can't say I agree with global conquest though, I think we like to be the biggest and baddest but I don't see us marching into Manitoba and claiming it do you? Maybe Tijuana Consider