Being an atheist in England compared to being an atheist here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 11:52 PM
RE: Being an atheist in England compared to being an atheist here.
(27-03-2014 11:45 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:43 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  First of all, not my country. Lived there as a military child. Also, you are correct about the monarchy. I apologize for making it seem like England is better, or whatever you gathered from that post. However, I never felt as surrounded by Christianity as I do here. Simply my point. Smile

OK, gotcha. Yes it is sometimes overwhelming here. As you get to know us on this forum you'll see how many of us have struggled through great pains to free ourselves of years of indoctrination and still, to this day, deal with family issues over religion. Throw on top of that the fundies trying to change laws and school curricula and I grant you we are surrounded to the point of asphyxiation.

Welcome to a breath of fresh air here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-03-2014, 11:53 PM
(27-03-2014 11:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think we like to be the biggest and baddest but I don't see us marching into Manitoba and claiming it do you? Maybe Tijuana Consider

Okay, global conquest was a poor choice of words. But perhaps so, in economic terms at least, which in turn requires some strategic military action and control that we have seen in some rather pertinent oil producing countries over the last few decades.

Just sayin.....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Another thing I noticed is that in England there are many many traditional churches built hundreds of years ago, however there aren't churches on every street, nor are there churches popping up all over the place. And there certainly aren't such monstrosities as 'megachurches'.

'It's not a lie, if you believe it.' - George Costanza
27-03-2014, 11:58 PM
(27-03-2014 11:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think we like to be the biggest and baddest but I don't see us marching into Manitoba and claiming it do you? Maybe Tijuana Consider

Okay, global conquest was a poor choice of words. But perhaps so, in economic terms at least, which in turn requires some strategic military action and control that we have seen in some rather pertinent oil producing countries over the last few decades.

Just sayin.....

I know what you're saying, but I thought we went into those countries 'cause they had WMDs?

I'm surprised we haven't made Venezuela a territory yet or even our 51st State. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-03-2014, 12:01 AM
(27-03-2014 11:55 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  Another thing I noticed is that in England there are many many traditional churches built hundreds of years ago, however there aren't churches on every street, nor are there churches popping up all over the place. And there certainly aren't such monstrosities as 'megachurches'.

Churches here don't pay taxes...let that sink in for a moment. I have oftened joked that the fastest way to become rich in the US is declare yourself a religion, erect a church or two and preach to the sheeple.

28-03-2014, 12:02 AM
(27-03-2014 11:55 PM)prettylogical Wrote:  Another thing I noticed is that in England there are many many traditional churches built hundreds of years ago, however there aren't churches on every street, nor are there churches popping up all over the place. And there certainly aren't such monstrosities as 'megachurches'.

That is kind of an american thing, isn't it? Although I've heard of them existing over there, not nearly as prevalent as here. We are a culture of admiration of wealth and prosperity, regardless of what jesus said. We make up our own rules about religion here, and insist that it's holy and blessed. It's just the way of the west. Facepalm

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-03-2014, 12:04 AM
(28-03-2014 12:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Churches here don't pay taxes...let that sink in for a moment. I have oftened joked that the fastest way to become rich in the US is declare yourself a religion, erect a church or two and preach to the sheeple.

Sheeple! Brilliant Smile

I was horrified to learn that the town I live in now has maybe 3 or 4 televised megachurches. Seems to become less and less about 'worshiping the one true lord and savior' and more about making money. But I suppose it's been about that for a long time now, huh.

'It's not a lie, if you believe it.' - George Costanza
28-03-2014, 12:07 AM
(28-03-2014 12:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  That is kind of an american thing, isn't it? Although I've heard of them existing over there, not nearly as prevalent as here. We are a culture of admiration of wealth and prosperity, regardless of what jesus said. We make up our own rules about religion here, and insist that it's holy and blessed. It's just the way of the west. Facepalm

Brainwash
Demand tithing
Rinse
Repeat

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-03-2014, 12:09 AM
(28-03-2014 12:04 AM)prettylogical Wrote:  Seems to become less and less about 'worshiping the one true lord and savior' and more about making money. But I suppose it's been about that for a long time now, huh.

I think that's safe to say

[attachment=1972]

28-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Well to be fair the Vatican had that down well before America. We just made it a consumers product.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post