Being 'born again' linked to brain atrophy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Being 'born again' linked to brain atrophy.
http://www.philly.com/philly/health/132456883.html

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 08:59 AM
RE: Being 'born again' linked to brain atrophy.
(23-04-2012 08:12 AM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.philly.com/philly/health/132456883.html
Religion doesn't require thinking, so it's not surprising.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I saw an article about this a while back. My born again Aunt was not happy when I posted it on her FB page. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Before you get carried away, note what it says about non-religious subjects. It seems to be an effect of being 'outside the mainstream'.
23-04-2012, 03:13 PM
(23-04-2012 02:51 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  Before you get carried away, note what it says about non-religious subjects. It seems to be an effect of being 'outside the mainstream'.
Yea but people have been claiming that for years. The 'you only want to be different' line. They don't want to use their brains so they claim that everyone who thinks for themselves has a personality disorder.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Honestly this study also classifies atheists and other minorities as having a smaller hippo campus. However this study also places most protestants as the only ones devoid of this shrinkage.

I don't have too much time right here but here is a direct link to the study.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ado...ne.0017006

I'm curious to see if I can find other scientists who have done a cross study to verify these findings. If no other scientists come forward to cross check these studies then I think we have a clear answer on how "accurate" this study is.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
23-04-2012, 04:46 PM
93% of members of the National Academy of Sciences are non-religious
38% of mensa are non-religious.
18% at best of the total US population are non-religious.
Seems fairly clear to me.
Intelligence + Education = more likely not to be religious.
http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intellig...ligion.htm

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
23-04-2012, 04:50 PM
The data mined from this report is confusing. Not only is there quite a variation in shrinkage between the left and right hippocampus in nearly every example, but there's no way to know the source. Correlation doesn't prove causation... perhaps having factors that drive one to have an accelerated hippo-shrink process drives one to believe in religion. They posited that stress could be that missing factor, but it would appear that the scientists simply guessed that religiosity is more stressful.

It's still an interesting study, though, and it looks pretty clean and well-done (although I have to wonder why 2 out of 3 research participants were women).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Based on the study (something feels "wrong" about it... it doesn't read like the many [too many] studies I had to go over for my masters degree). I know one reason offhand, the entire thing seems summarized, and there's no "problems/issues/areas for future study" type of section. I can think of one problem: they don't test the study in other areas where a different religion is the "main" one.
23-04-2012, 05:00 PM
(23-04-2012 04:55 PM)elemts Wrote:  Based on the study (something feels "wrong" about it... it doesn't read like the many [too many] studies I had to go over for my masters degree). I know one reason offhand, the entire thing seems summarized, and there's no "problems/issues/areas for future study" type of section. I can think of one problem: they don't test the study in other areas where a different religion is the "main" one.
Selective sampling.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.