• 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 12:32 PM
RE: Being fired for my beliefs
You guys are awesome! I knew I would find some friends here. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2012, 12:47 PM
(14-09-2012 11:38 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Wow. That's some fucking bullshit right there.

This "at will" horseshit if fucking horrifying. What a complete and total end run around every piece of worker's rights and anti-discrimination law ever written. I'm fucking flabbergasted. Thank Christ for the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I don't think a law like that could ever survive up here.

Hey, Ravn.

Listen to BnW. He's a lawyer. If he thinks you have a shot, then you have a shot.

Really, dude, I have no idea what to say. I mean the being fired thing is one thing, but this at will crap has me fucking speechless.

I'm no lawyer and maybe BnW can drop the science on this, but I wouldn't worry too much about lawyer bias. If they don't like you, they won't take the case. If they take the case to make you lose, they get disbarred. Speak to the lawyers. If you get a bad vibe, get the fuck out of dodge. If you find the one to take it to them, hire them. But whatever you do, FUCKING GUT THESE PRICKS!

Man alive, I got the vapours. I gotta lie down.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

This is you being speechless? Ouch!

And I second your emotion. This law seems almost Dickensian.

14-09-2012, 12:48 PM
(14-09-2012 12:32 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  You guys are awesome! I knew I would find some friends here. Smile

Friends, maybe.

Just don't go asking us for a job, alright?!

14-09-2012, 12:49 PM
(14-09-2012 12:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 12:32 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  You guys are awesome! I knew I would find some friends here. Smile

Friends, maybe.

LOL. Nope, wouldn't think of it. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes ravnwolf's post
14-09-2012, 01:07 PM
IMO, the one thing you cannot do in this situation is just roll over and take it. If you walk away with your tail between your legs, they'll just do it again to the next guy, and nothing will ever change.

As others have suggested, I'd look seriously into pursuing legal action. If you're having trouble finding a lawyer, maybe the ACLU could help you find one. Discrimination based on religious belief or non-belief sure sounds like a civil rights issue.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
14-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I have two friends who sued - one for gender discrimination and one for age discrimination.

In both cases the lawyers (different ones) sent in investigatiors to interview colleagues in a manner that would not reveal why they were asking these questions. ("happening" to meet in a bar etc.)

In the gender discrimination, my friend was awarded a bunch of money since someone overheard discriminatory statements and in court these could be verified.

The age discrimination case didn't come to fruition because my friend was proven to do silly things that could have been disruptive, like getting up and dancing for a minute (to relieve muscle stress really) and such.

In my understanding there are state and federal laws. If the state laws are not helpful, look for federal laws that are.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-09-2012, 01:26 PM
(14-09-2012 11:29 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I am not sure the basal assumption that you have no legal recourse is accurate.

I am a department manager in an at-will state and I know my HR is super strict that I cannot do anything, anything at all, to jeopardize the employment of any company employee without first creating tons of paperwork. I must document 3 separate written disciplinary actions or 2 similar written disciplinary actions (for two instances of the same offense). I must also give conditions for the disciplined employee to improve his or her work performance and subsequent followup evaluations to determine whether those conditions are met. If I want to terminate someone, this is the minimum amount of paperwork I must undergo.

Why?

According to my HR, if I do less than this, then a terminated employee could file and possibly win a wrongful-termination lawsuit.

It sounds to me like your company did less than what I described, so perhaps you can file and possibly win a wrongful termination lawsuit. I'm no lawyer and this is not legal advice, but perhaps it might serve as motivation for you to get that legal advice from a lawyer eligible to practice law in Georgia.

Exactly. There is a "reasonable" test, and a "due process" test. Sounds like they met neither.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-09-2012, 02:12 PM
(14-09-2012 12:49 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 12:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Friends, maybe.

LOL. Nope, wouldn't think of it. Wink

Speak for yourself, DLJ; I may be hiring and I certainly could use another atheist in the workplace (not that this is my first consideration, not even close, and I'm not really allowed to ask so note that I'm not asking nor would I).

I'd look at your resume if you are, by chance, a software QA engineer with a network admin and/or DBA background and willing to relocate to Utah.

(Nope, I'm not soliciting to hire an employee, I'm just saying he's welcome to ask for a job if he wants to).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
14-09-2012, 02:55 PM
(14-09-2012 09:27 AM)ravnwolf Wrote:  Or actually I suppose I should say my lack thereof. I'm not sure if this is the correct category to put this, so if it needs to move, please do so moderator(s). Smile

So, here's my story --

I've worked in a particular field for almost 13 years, with the last 2.75 years being with a company that purchased the previous company I was working for. I was in upper management - the General Manager of this particular subsidiary, as a matter of fact.

Most people that I've worked with for years know my stance on religion, etc. but I've never been one to push it in their faces that they were wasting their time believing in fairy tales. A very good friend of mine, I'd say my best friend - he and I would have spirited debates about the topics. He's a believer, even though he'll tell you he's the worst kind. He knows and believes but doesn't live the way he should, etc.

As I've stated in my introduction post, I'm from South Georgia.

So, one day back in July, I walked into my office and was summoned to the main office. I didn't think anything of it because I routinely would need to go across town to the main office for this and that. So, when I get there, the VP of the company, who is very religious (I say this because he keeps an open bible on his desk at all times), was composing an email and asked me to give him a few minutes.

A few minutes went by and then he lowered the boom on me. The owner of the company had instructed him to terminate me effective immediately. Of course I was shocked! I had never had any disciplinary action with this company or even the company that owned the business before! I asked why.

He did look very sad, but he said the only thing he was instructed to say to me from the owner of the company was "you know what you did". And that was it. Dumbfounded doesn't even begin to describe how I felt.

Without rhyme or reason, I was tossed out. Even the official termination letter simply stated "terminated due to cause". Which, I understand this being the great state of Georgia, a company doesn't need a reason to terminate someone.

I've been banging my head back and forth trying to figure out what the hell happened. And then earlier this week, my good friend that still works there, let me know that there was a rumor - now mind you it's a rumor - but the rumor indicated that my connection to a website that I run (http://www.thesouthernatheist.com) might have been the reason for my dismissal. The funny thing is, I don't do that much with the site. I re-post some of Seth's videos there and other stuff, but it's mostly dormant.

I do run a podcast network of shows, none of them really related to anything religious in nature, but I don't make any bones about what I do and don't believe in my shows.

So, without any real proof, I've been bouncing the idea around of filing a charge with the EEOC for religious bias or whatever against my former employer. I don't want the job back, but I want these folks to know that you can't just arbitrarily (or at least you shouldn't be able to) get rid of someone because they don't believe the same way you do. The owners of the company are all about appearances.

What do you guys think? Is it even something worth pursuing?

Doesn't matter that you're in an "At Will" state. You can still pursue this with the EEOC and you will most likely get a settlement.

I know this because I'm also in an "At will" state and recently sat through a seminar where this very thing was addressed.

Very sorry to hear about this and please do make an inquiry. It doesn't hurt to try.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
14-09-2012, 05:26 PM
(14-09-2012 02:12 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 12:49 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  LOL. Nope, wouldn't think of it. Wink

Speak for yourself, DLJ; I may be hiring and I certainly could use another atheist in the workplace (not that this is my first consideration, not even close, and I'm not really allowed to ask so note that I'm not asking nor would I).

I'd look at your resume if you are, by chance, a software QA engineer with a network admin and/or DBA background and willing to relocate to Utah.

(Nope, I'm not soliciting to hire an employee, I'm just saying he's welcome to ask for a job if he wants to).

I can't relocate to Utah (well, don't think I can), but here's my resume for anyone that is interested. http://goo.gl/jtZQ4