Being fired for my beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 05:35 PM by BnW.)
RE: Being fired for my beliefs
(14-09-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 10:06 AM)BnW Wrote:  Being an "at will" employee does not mean you can be fired for discriminatory reasons.

Yeah, but even if he wasn't reprimanded in any way at any time, he can still be fired for any reason just as long as it's not discriminatory. Even though it was for discriminatory reason, the company can basically say anything under the sun for termination. At will allows this.

Edit: As a side note, at will employment is the biggest load of crap. It's horrible.

I've never done employment law in general and I know nothing about laws in Georgia. But, generally speaking, you can use the employee handbook against them. Companies usually put those things together so people know what is expected of them. Having random firings is not good for morale. In this instance, he was told "you know what you did" or words to that effect. The implication is he violated a policy or broke a rule. I don't know all the facts but his supposition that he was fired for working on an atheist message board outside of work hours seems plausible. That would be a violation of his legal rights and he can sue. If he claims he did nothing to violate the employee handbook and therefore he must have been sued for religious beliefs, they can come back and say "we fired him because we wanted to, period". The problem is that is not what they told him. It's not a slam dunk case by any means but it is an opening for sure.

The argument of "you can't prove it" is valid but the lack of any other reason is probative in and of itself. Or not. Courts don't usually allow you to sue and then go on a fishing expedition during discovery to find the evidence you need to prove your case, but if these guys are the bible thumpers he describes, he may have something.

My advice is spend $500 or so and consult a lawyer. All you have to lose is $500 or so. And, if you look in the Atlanta area, you are likely to find someone who is not a total wingnut. The other point I'll make is there are still people out there, even in the bible belt, who recognize the importance of preserving the rights of individuals and who still put the law above their own personal beliefs. I bet you can find a good lawyer willing to give you an honest evaluation.

Btw, your former company may settle with you to avoid you hauling them into court and calling them a bunch of bigots. I don't know what they do, but that is generally the type of publicity companies seek to avoid.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
14-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Can I hire you as my court jester?

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Get in touch with The Freedom From Religion Foundation. They do a lot of things through legal avenues regarding religion. They may at least know of someone in your area (a lawyer) that they have used before. Might be worth a shot.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-09-2012, 05:43 PM
(14-09-2012 05:28 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Can I hire you as my court jester?

Huh? LOL
14-09-2012, 05:45 PM
(14-09-2012 05:26 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  I can't relocate to Utah (well, don't think I can), but here's my resume for anyone that is interested. http://goo.gl/jtZQ4

Dude, we have to work on your resume. I can't put my finger on it but, well, it needs work. It needs to be punchier, easier to read, less complete sentences and more catch-you-attention bullet points. Less focus on the specifics of what you did and more on the skills that you have. People hire skills and experience, not stories.

The part about not finishing college yet? Take it out. It's a detriment, so why highlight it. working to complete your BS is good, leave that in. But, what you are doing here is highlighting twice that you don't yet have a degree. Why not take out a billboard while your at it?

When I have some more time, I can take another look. I'm good with resumes. I decided last December to find a new job. It took my 9 months but I've had a lot of success getting responses and interviews. I just had to find the right match. In this economy, I'm pretty pleased with how quickly I found something.

Can you post a paper version or something? Maybe PM me one? I can do some revisions for you (in track changes) and you can accept what you like and reject what you don't.

[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
14-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't mind one... I can only pay you in jokes though.

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-09-2012, 05:50 PM
(14-09-2012 05:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 05:26 PM)ravnwolf Wrote:  I can't relocate to Utah (well, don't think I can), but here's my resume for anyone that is interested. http://goo.gl/jtZQ4

Dude, we have to work on your resume. I can't put my finger on it but, well, it needs work. It needs to be punchier, easier to read, less complete sentences and more catch-you-attention bullet points. Less focus on the specifics of what you did and more on the skills that you have. People hire skills and experience, not stories.

The part about not finishing college yet? Take it out. It's a detriment, so why highlight it. working to complete your BS is good, leave that in. But, what you are doing here is highlighting twice that you don't yet have a degree. Why not take out a billboard while your at it?

When I have some more time, I can take another look. I'm good with resumes. I decided last December to find a new job. It took my 9 months but I've had a lot of success getting responses and interviews. I just had to find the right match. In this economy, I'm pretty pleased with how quickly I found something.

Can you post a paper version or something? Maybe PM me one? I can do some revisions for you (in track changes) and you can accept what you like and reject what you don't.

Sure, I'll send you a .doc copy. I haven't had to put a resume together in 13 years, so this is like my 3rd version thus far.
14-09-2012, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 06:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-09-2012 09:27 AM)ravnwolf Wrote:  What do you guys think? Is it even something worth pursuing?

Bucky'sBalls and BnW gave some good advice but personally I don't think legal action would be worth pursuing in your backass swampwater state of Georgia.

Pursue a job with the Federal Government or contractors with the Federal Government. The Federal Government is regulatorily prohibited from discriminating based on my lack of religion and I've never experienced even a hint of it in 27 years of Federal service as an open atheist. Federal contractors aren't specifically prohibited from discriminatory practices other than those precluded by Federal law, but they won't be Federal contractors for long if the Contracting Officer smells even a whiff of it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I read this earlier today and I was disgusted that you were fired. Your boss is an ass.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
14-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Ravn

Saw your PM. I will try to find some time this weekend to play with it.