Being gay, genetics?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Being gay, genetics?
For one, I think it is, there is no reason to think humans can be susceptible to all sorts of brain diseases that will affect memory, body function, intelligence, behavior etc... and the Hypothalamus part of the brain is exempt from faults.

I have found a few studies that reveal that this is an actual genetic disability and I was wondering if anyone else has information they care to share on this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 05:23 PM

RE: Being gay, genetics?
(02-06-2011 05:11 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  For one, I think it is, there is no reason to think humans can be susceptible to all sorts of brain diseases that will affect memory, body function, intelligence, behavior etc... and the Hypothalamus part of the brain is exempt from faults.

I have found a few studies that reveal that this is an actual genetic disability and I was wondering if anyone else has information they care to share on this.
About that Vacuous part of your personality...

You're straight. Answer your question here by interjecting, "Heterosexual".
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
(02-06-2011 05:23 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(02-06-2011 05:11 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  For one, I think it is, there is no reason to think humans can be susceptible to all sorts of brain diseases that will affect memory, body function, intelligence, behavior etc... and the Hypothalamus part of the brain is exempt from faults.

Sorry? Can't tell if that was a response or an attack?
02-06-2011, 08:13 PM

(02-06-2011 05:25 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(02-06-2011 05:23 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  

Sorry? Can't tell if that was a response or an attack?
It was a response to an attack.
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Anyways, anyone can feel free to chime in on the actual topic at any time.
02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
As much a disability as blue eyes or square shaped nail pads. Good grief.
03-06-2011, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't say disability, but as I remember it has to do something with genes and also with the environment in which you (or some other person) grows up. In male gays, mothers have a lot to do with their sexuality, if they have genetic predispositions to "become" gay. I think I got it at least half right, correct me if I'm mistaking.

Homosexuality can be found in nature in lots of animals, so I think it is all normal and natural.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
03-06-2011, 01:52 AM
(02-06-2011 05:11 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I have found a few studies that reveal that this is an actual genetic make up and I was wondering if anyone else has information they care to share on this.
I fixed you opening question for you so it generates more useful input on the subject. Smile
Observer @ your service. [Image: loki8.gif]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-06-2011, 02:08 AM
There is actually evidence that homosexuality would be selected for by natural selection, as females with close male relatives who are also homosexuals tend to have higher fecundity [PubMed].
Here is the Wikipedia article on this issue, which you might like to browse through.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
03-06-2011, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 05:47 AM by NotSoVacuous.)
(03-06-2011 01:52 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(02-06-2011 05:11 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I have found a few studies that reveal that this is an actual genetic make up and I was wondering if anyone else has information they care to share on this.
I fixed you opening question for you so it generates more useful input on the subject. Smile
Observer @ your service. [Image: loki8.gif]

When we argue disability its possibly just semantics. But arguing genetics assumes it could be passed on to an offspring rather than it was just a mistake that the hypothalamus didn't grow to it's full size. So then it just comes down to what we define as a disability.
Quote:Thus disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives.
—World Health Organization

Here is a study. PubMed