Being hard on my self and it is getting worst

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Being hard on my self and it is getting worst
(25-06-2014 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:36 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You know enough so that what I do can help my species in the long run. I don't think knowing about convergent evolution can help with that.

But you'll almost certainly be statistically insignificant. Nearly everyone is. Because that's statistics...

So what can any one person do to help the species?

You can do something for the tiny part of it you do interact with. There's a crowd of people on this very forum who appreciate your presence and contributions; that's not a bad start.

So my knowledge will help the species?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 01:11 PM
(25-06-2014 12:58 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  So my knowledge will help the species?

Do you think my knowledge of physics helps the species?

... this is my signature!
25-06-2014, 01:13 PM
(25-06-2014 01:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:58 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  So my knowledge will help the species?

Do you think my knowledge of physics helps the species?

Yeah.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-06-2014, 01:16 PM
(25-06-2014 01:13 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 01:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Do you think my knowledge of physics helps the species?

Yeah.

So why not your knowledge of biology?

25-06-2014, 01:19 PM
(25-06-2014 01:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 01:13 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Yeah.

So why not your knowledge of biology?

Well physics has something to do with space. Like ships, reaching towards the sky. Understanding how to travel to space and making the universe easier to move trough Zoology is about animals. Unless it is a fluffy mammal or a dinosaur, people tend not to care for animals, and even then they want to just look at them instead of hearing about how they work.

25-06-2014, 01:32 PM
(25-06-2014 01:19 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 01:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  So why not your knowledge of biology?

Well physics has something to do with space. Like ships, reaching towards the sky. Understanding how to travel to space and making the universe easier to move trough.

Well, some physics does (but spaceships are an engineering matter).

That's very much not what I study.

(25-06-2014 01:19 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Zoology is about animals. Unless it is a fluffy mammal or a dinosaur, people tend not to care for animals, and even then they want to just look at them instead of hearing about how they work.

But that's moving the goalposts!

Whether it's helpful is not contingent on whether people (in general) care about it.

25-06-2014, 01:42 PM

Well physics has something to do with space. Like ships, reaching towards the sky. Understanding how to travel to space and making the universe easier to move trough Zoology is about animals. Unless it is a fluffy mammal or a dinosaur, people tend not to care for animals, and even then they want to just look at them instead of hearing about how they work.

Regardless of whether your average person in the street cares about animals or not, the human species relies on diverse ecosystems being in place. How much genetic information is being lost from the destruction of the rain forests for example? We need to maintain the food chain so the human population can feed itself. The human population is expanding at an exponential rate. We need Physics to figure out ways of harvesting energy and Biology in order to maintain our environment.

We're just another species of animal that needs to survive without killing it's natural environment.
25-06-2014, 05:04 PM

My herpetologist friend got a job where he surveys various areas for frog populations for the state. He gets to travel all over and see a lot of the country as well as some of the most beautiful remote areas of Alaska. He works to make sure the frogs have the right environment, and that the environment can provide enough food for the frogs. Cool job, lots of benefits. And I don't think frogs are very fluffy or huggable.

Point is, there ARE jobs for people who like all kinds of animals. But those jobs don't come knocking on the door looking for you. You have to make some effort.

Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-06-2014, 05:47 PM
(25-06-2014 05:04 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 01:19 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Well physics has something to do with space. Like ships, reaching towards the sky. Understanding how to travel to space and making the universe easier to move trough Zoology is about animals. Unless it is a fluffy mammal or a dinosaur, people tend not to care for animals, and even then they want to just look at them instead of hearing about how they work.

My herpetologist friend got a job where he surveys various areas for frog populations for the state. He gets to travel all over and see a lot of the country as well as some of the most beautiful remote areas of Alaska. He works to make sure the frogs have the right environment, and that the environment can provide enough food for the frogs. Cool job, lots of benefits. And I don't think frogs are very fluffy or huggable.

Point is, there ARE jobs for people who like all kinds of animals. But those jobs don't come knocking on the door looking for you. You have to make some effort.

Hug

Thanks for the job ideas, but I hate it when everything I am practically annoying to people in real life. Even my friends would rather talk to other people than me. So I am glad I can find a job opportunity when I am older, but even friends still don't care in RL.

Oh yeah Hug

25-06-2014, 06:21 PM
(25-06-2014 05:47 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 05:04 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My herpetologist friend got a job where he surveys various areas for frog populations for the state. He gets to travel all over and see a lot of the country as well as some of the most beautiful remote areas of Alaska. He works to make sure the frogs have the right environment, and that the environment can provide enough food for the frogs. Cool job, lots of benefits. And I don't think frogs are very fluffy or huggable.

Hug

Thanks for the job ideas, but I hate it when everything I am practically annoying to people in real life. Even my friends would rather talk to other people than me. So I am glad I can find a job opportunity when I am older, but even friends still don't care in RL.

Oh yeah Hug

You're hanging with the wrong people then. Start a zoology club. Bet other animal people would talk to you and appreciate your knowledge and not find you annoying (which I find hard to believe). Who knows? Maybe some of them are looking for somebody to talk to, too, and would be thrilled to chat you up. You have to look in the right place.

You'll never know unless you try. Yes

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post