Belief in Ghosts is not Harmless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Belief in Ghosts is not Harmless
You could say Kitty Houghton was murdered because of her hair style. She left it grey and kept it short. Not unfeminine, but from behind standing in pants in the hotel lobby she could be easily be mistaken for a man. To Rodney Hill, she looked like his father. Enraged, he grabbed his knife and stabbed her in the neck. She escaped the attack and managed to reach the hall outside her room on the third floor. But in the hospital she succumbed to the gash in her throat.

Most people don’t immediately try to murder their parents on sight, and Rodney Hill was plainly nuts. But even the deranged Mr. Hill would never have tried to kill his father. Rodney Hill was not trying to kill a living man. He was trying to kill a demon. Mr. Hill thought his father had come as a demon to torment him.

Kitty Houghton was not slain because her hair style resembled a nut’s father. She was slain because belief in demons and ghosts is as natural a figment of our culture as butter on toast. It’s no crime to slay a demon or a ghost, nor is it a crime to foment belief in them. Not yet.

Kitty Houghton was murdered the year I turned 59. I’d make it just shy of 6 decades through life without acquaintance with a murder victim. I’ve had plenty of acquaintances and friends and family die, probably more than a hundred , all felled by disease or age and sometimes accident. Kitty was the first acquaintance who died because she was murdered.

Not by malice, or for revenge, or any of the vapid rationalizations murderers use to convince themselves someone must die by their hand.

By belief. Belief in a notion absurd as a boat with no hull, but a belief given full and lethal legitimacy every day on every screen and every page of popular media, that demons and ghosts are real. And it’s no crime to slay a ghost.

http://nhpr.org/post/affidavit-victim-ha...kill-devil

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/n...idavit.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Airportkid's post
11-04-2014, 07:06 AM
RE: Belief in Ghosts is not Harmless
I remember when I used to be Christian. Any time I'd see someone claim to believe in something I thought was too extreme, I'd hand wave it away as them being too extreme or outright crazy. Still, it just seemed to be on a spectrum of crazy compared to my own beliefs.
  • They believe dinosaurs and humans co-existed? Crazy talk.
  • God created all living things in the Garden of Eden? Makes sense.
  • People who commit crimes might have been possessed by a demon? Crazy talk.
  • Angels and demons exist and are having an invisible war among us? Makes sense.
  • Infidels must be put to death? Too extreme.
  • Non-believers are ruining our country and we need to take it back? Makes sense.
And the problem is, many people will be cool with the even-numbered bullet points there, but since they can't prove them right, they're stuck living with the more crazy beliefs. Now, I'm glad we can draw a line against beliefs that are overtly harmful, as a society. Sadly, it's hard to predict that "believing in ghosts or demons" will directly lead to harmful action.

We'd be a lot better off without granting special privilege to various beliefs under the guise of religion, but far too many people are religious to be able to get then to swallow "Believing in demonic possession is dangerous, and so is believing in Christ's salvation."
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-04-2014, 11:55 PM
I've come to the conclusion since abandoning religion and developing a more atheistic stance, is that simply put, religion, the paranormal, believing in big foot etc... It is all symptomatic of people who don't like to live life fully on pace with reality, as it is. They create a "pseudo" reality to cushion the sometimes harsh reality of well, reality.

When I followed religion, it was mainly because it confronted me from reality. When I see people obsessing over the supernatural or "other worlds," I can't help but wonder what it is that is truly lacking in their lives that they would rather spend it on nonsense than reality.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
19-04-2014, 12:03 AM
I agree with the op title.

It is way too easy to take advantage of someone who believes in an afterlife

John Edwards for example.

Fucking disgusting trolls like him. Getting rich off the heartache of others.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
19-04-2014, 05:41 AM
I am confused. Blink

I had a friend who told me he believed in demons. He's Cathylick.

I no longer socialize with him.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I think it would be cool if we discovered ghosts to just be a new species. Something like dark energy where we cant see it or feel it, and just dont have the right tests yet to see them. Or if some people as an evolutionary branch were capable of seeing glimpses of other people in other dimensions.

Im going on a sci fi tangent here....

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 2 users Like =jesse='s post
19-04-2014, 09:20 PM
(19-04-2014 07:05 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  I think it would be cool if we discovered ghosts to just be a new species. Something like dark energy where we cant see it or feel it, and just dont have the right tests yet to see them. Or if some people as an evolutionary branch were capable of seeing glimpses of other people in other dimensions.

Im going on a sci fi tangent here....

You ought to talk to forum member Luminon. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-04-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm going "ghost hunting" for my birthday party (I am just planning on scaring the shit out of my guests.)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
19-04-2014, 09:59 PM
(19-04-2014 12:03 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I agree with the op title.

It is way too easy to take advantage of someone who believes in an afterlife

John Edwards for example.

Fucking disgusting trolls like him. Getting rich off the heartache of others.

Its how I know moral absolutes is not a thing, if I could get away with it, I would end that evil bastard.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
20-04-2014, 04:33 AM
Good thread, good title and I agree with the OP. Superstition and belief in monsters/demons/evil spirits makes people do crazy shit. Live sacrifices and offerings being the first, and murder being the worst things done either on impulse or planned (witch hunts, the Inquisition, exorcisms...)

I used to be afraid of ghosts, and now that I say this I realize that my fear came from the fact that I believed in ghosts without having evidence or having actually seen one. Being scared made me irrational and blind - yet, I still believed in them.

So when I came to reason I did some research, I watched all of the ghost-hunting shows out there. And I really mean like all of them. It was entertaining. Now, I don't feel any fear or apprehension about ever witnessing something that looks even remotely like a ghost. Why? Because my eyes are open and I know what I'm looking at.

I don't claim to know what other people say they see (who knows what goes on in their minds) but as far as I'm concerned, there are countless ways to study and verify natural phenomenons when they seem supernatural. Why not use these methods to find the truth instead of acting crazy?
[+] 2 users Like Thanh's post