Belief in a Lack of Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-12-2017, 07:38 AM
RE: Belief in a Lack of Belief
(27-12-2017 07:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 07:25 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I would but the first point seems to involve a double negative and I'm not sure what you are getting at.
If I lack a belief that "God/s likely do not exist" that would make me a theist.
It would indicate that I believe that Gods likely do exist.
I somehow don't think that is what you mean.

It's supposed to be a trick question to prove that atheism is a belief.

It's always amusing when theists go down this road of "you have a belief too" as if getting an atheist to admit he holds a belief about some claim would validate their own unsupported beliefs. It's a desperate attempt to nullify the burden of proof.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
27-12-2017, 07:39 AM
(27-12-2017 07:25 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A questions for atheists:

Do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist?

Do you lack a belief that the universe is unlikely to have been created?

I ask that you respond with a yes or no, to the above questions, which you can then explain or justify if you choose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would but the first point seems to involve a double negative and I'm not sure what you are getting at.
If I lack a belief that "God/s likely do not exist" that would make me a theist.

I don’t think so.

I lack a belief on whether you’re likely single, this doesn’t mean that I believe you’re likely married.

Clearly people who believe you’re likely married, believe you’re unlikely to be single. But so do people who are unsure one way or the other.

I lack belief that you’re unlikely single or married.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 07:42 AM
(27-12-2017 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 07:25 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I would but the first point seems to involve a double negative and I'm not sure what you are getting at.

I don’t think so.

I lack a belief on whether you’re likely single, this doesn’t mean that I believe you’re likely married.

Clearly people who believe you’re likely married, believe you’re unlikely to be single. But so do people who are unsure one way or the other.

I lack belief that you’re unlikely single or married.

I believe you are grasping at straws and making mountains out of mole hills.
Splitting hairs is not necessary and whenever theist go down this childish road of playing word games they tip their cards.
You choose to believe things without evidence. We don't.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post
27-12-2017, 07:45 AM
(27-12-2017 07:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I believe you are an idiot troll who asks very stupid questions ... and this thread is spam, and this question has been answered here
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-are-hated
... and you damn well know it.

Not going down your 1st Grade level theist rabbit hole.
The issue of all the gods (which you have demonstrated you are unable to define) is dismissed from consideration.
Theists ask such stupid questions, and require that thinking be constrained to their little infantile boxes.
Go away Tomato. You add nothing of value here. Nothing.

Cue his Jebus-like insults.

I did ask chas this question in the thread linked to, but he never responded.

I wanted to ask that question to a larger forum audience, so I decided to give it its own thread.

I understand that you in your own way may have responded to the question in the other thread. But clearly you’re not a spokesperson for atheists here. I’m interested in everyone’s uniques answers, not just the one or two posters that responded in someone else’s thread.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 07:47 AM
At work.

Hello Tomasia. Big Grin

Given your above clarifying usage of your term 'Belief' then yes, I lack a belief in any dieties.

Thumbsup

Though I would both phrase the question differently and possibly use different words/language/phrasing.
27-12-2017, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2017 08:36 AM by Tomasia.)
(27-12-2017 07:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  

It's supposed to be a trick question to prove that atheism is a belief.

Atheism can be a belief.

If you believe God doesn’t exist, you’re an atheist.

If we merge agnosticism and atheism the way many people here do, than so does merely lacking a belief one way or the other.

I’m merely parsing the two out.

You indicated you assume god does not exist.

But if I assume something even weakly, this would mean that at least weakly believe that it’s likely.

If I assume you’re not married, this would be akin to me saying that I believe you’re unlikely to be married.

In reality I don’t assume youre married or unmarried. I have no evidence or reason to assume one way or the other. So I lack an assumption.

A lack of evidence one way or the other leaves me without an assumption, for you it leads to an assumption?

27-12-2017, 07:55 AM
I'll answer your questions once you specify what you mean by belief.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
27-12-2017, 07:56 AM
(27-12-2017 07:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 07:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I believe you are an idiot troll who asks very stupid questions ... and this thread is spam, and this question has been answered here
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-are-hated
... and you damn well know it.

Not going down your 1st Grade level theist rabbit hole.
The issue of all the gods (which you have demonstrated you are unable to define) is dismissed from consideration.
Theists ask such stupid questions, and require that thinking be constrained to their little infantile boxes.
Go away Tomato. You add nothing of value here. Nothing.

Cue his Jebus-like insults.

I did ask chas this question in the thread linked to, but he never responded.

I wanted to ask that question to a larger forum audience, so I decided to give it its own thread.

I understand that you in your own way may have responded to the question in the other thread. But clearly you’re not a spokesperson for atheists here. I’m interested in everyone’s uniques answers, not just the one or two posters that responded in someone else’s thread.

You're not interested in anything. You can't even define what it is your idiot question references.

You're a troll playing troll theist games.
Go fuck yourself.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-12-2017, 07:56 AM
(27-12-2017 07:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Aye, I'll play your game Trebek. Smile

(27-12-2017 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A questions for atheists:

Do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist?

This is like a convoluted question, Tomatillo. And I don't think it's what you meant to ask. If I lacked a belief that God/s likely do not exist, you could reasonably infer that meant I believe that God/s likely exist. So my answer is no, I do not lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist.

See the response to biker.

I lack a belief in whether you likely don’t have children. But if you assumed this means I believe you likely have kids you’d be wrong.

I lack a belief in this case, because I have to reason or basis to assume one way or the other.

27-12-2017, 08:02 AM
(27-12-2017 07:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheism can be a belief.

> And what is that alleged belief based upon? What is your point?
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post