Belief in a Lack of Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-12-2017, 08:04 AM
RE: Belief in a Lack of Belief
(27-12-2017 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A questions for atheists:

Do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist?

Do you lack a belief that the universe is unlikely to have been created?

English much? Consider

I lack a belief that gods exist.
I lack a belief that the universe was created by a god. Regarding whether it was created by anything (i.e., natural forces), I have no position on the matter. There is still much to learn before we will truly know (if we will ever truly know). In the meantime, I believe nothing without evidence to support it.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
27-12-2017, 08:05 AM
(27-12-2017 07:55 AM)julep Wrote:  I'll answer your questions once you specify what you mean by belief.

I constitute anything in which you assume with any degree of confidence, even weakly as a belief.

So if you’re of the opinion that something is true, is likely true, assume it to be true, this would all be some gradient of belief. This seems consistent with how the term is often used colloquially.

I’m distinguishing it from knowing, which we can associate with a 100% confidence, and a sort of pure agnosticism, a mere lack of belief, such as I posses in regards to your marital status.

The question is to parse out whether you see your atheism, as I do in regards to your martial status, or whether it’s more based on a belief, even a weak one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 08:06 AM
At work.

As I posted above Tomasia, I would phrase the question differently.

I would use the word 'Belief' as a rhetorical device in this instance.

To expand.

I have many 'Beliefs'.

I can quite happily 'Believe' in dragons, elves, dwarves and all things 'Fantasy' so as to enjoy reading books, playing games and watching movies.

All the while 'Knowing' such things are not real.

This is how I read your use of the word 'Belief' above.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
27-12-2017, 08:08 AM
I do not afford belief to the unsubstantiated.

I do not have the ABILITY to believe the unsubstantiated. At one time I was credulous about faux evidence presented for the wholly unsubstantiated belief in deities, and in supernatural beings and realms generally. I was also ignorant about logical fallacies, burden of proof, etc. I am no longer any of these things.

You make a positive claim that god exists. It is up to you to prove it. It is not up to me to play your silly word games.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
27-12-2017, 08:09 AM
I believe you are an ongoing pain in the ass.
How could anyone actually waste their time on this childish bullshit?

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post
27-12-2017, 08:12 AM
(27-12-2017 07:47 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Hello Tomasia.

Given your above clarifying usage of your term 'Belief' then yes, I lack a belief in any dieties.

Though I would both phrase the question differently and possibly use different words/language/phrasing.

I’m asking that folks define they’re lack of belief.

A person who believes your single, and a person who lacks a view one way or the other, lack a belief in whether you’re married.

The question is do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist, and not whether you lack a belief that God/s exists.

If you answer is yes, contrary to popular opinion the assumption is not that you believe god likely does exists, but that your lack of belief is aligned with my lack of belief in your marital status, that i lack an opinion one way or the other, that I have no bases or reason to assume one way or the other.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 08:15 AM
(27-12-2017 08:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The question is do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist, and not whether you lack a belief that God/s exists.

If you answer is yes, contrary to popular opinion the assumption is not that you believe god likely does exists, but that your lack of belief is aligned with my lack of belief in your marital status, that i lack an opinion one way or the other, that I have no bases or reason to assume one way or the other.

Go fuck yourself you unbelievably grinding bore.
None of this is as complicated as you insist.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
27-12-2017, 08:15 AM
(27-12-2017 08:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I constitute anything in which you assume with any degree of confidence, even weakly as a belief.

I’m distinguishing it from knowing, which we can associate with a 100% confidence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

> In that case, my own personal atheism is not a belief. I do not believe that the Christian God does not exist. I know that he does not exist. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
27-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Do you not use certain words because you lack a belief that you will not get your non-point across before people don't recognize what you aren't saying? Consider

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
27-12-2017, 08:18 AM
At work.

Thumbsup Tomasia.

I did expand/explain above.

Cheers.