Belief in a Lack of Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-12-2017, 08:18 AM
RE: Belief in a Lack of Belief
(27-12-2017 07:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 07:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's supposed to be a trick question to prove that atheism is a belief.

Atheism can be a belief.

If you believe God doesn’t exist, you’re an atheists.

If we merge agnosticism and atheism the way many people here do, than so does merely lacking a belief one way or the other.

I’m merely parsing the two out.

You indicated you assume god does not exist.

But if I assume something even weakly, this would mean that at least weakly believe that it’s likely.

If I assume you’re not married, this would be akin to me saying that I believe you’re unlikely to be married.

In reality I don’t assume youre married or unmarried. I have no evidence or reason to assume one way or the other. So I lack an assumption.

A lack of evidence one way or the other leaves me without an assumption, for you it leads to an assumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming something is light years different from believing it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-12-2017, 08:21 AM
(27-12-2017 08:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Do you not use certain words because you lack a belief that you will not get your non-point across before people don't recognize what you aren't saying? Consider

This troll likes to phrase statements so that they are confusing and/or ambiguous. It makes it easier to argue about moot points and insignificant details.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-12-2017, 08:21 AM
(27-12-2017 08:15 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 08:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The question is do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist, and not whether you lack a belief that God/s exists.

If you answer is yes, contrary to popular opinion the assumption is not that you believe god likely does exists, but that your lack of belief is aligned with my lack of belief in your marital status, that i lack an opinion one way or the other, that I have no bases or reason to assume one way or the other.

Go fuck yourself you unbelievably grinding bore.

With a response like that you’d assume I insulted your mother.

The reason for the question, is that the primary distinction atheists often make is between knowing and not knowing (gnostic and Agnostic).

The distinction that’s lacking is one between believing and believing. Between Agnostic atheists that believe god does not exist, and Agnostic atheists who merely lack a belief that God exists.

The only way anyone would be able to distinguish between the two is by asking the appropriate questions.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 08:23 AM
(27-12-2017 08:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 08:15 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Go fuck yourself you unbelievably grinding bore.

With a response like that you’d assume I insulted your mother.

The reason for the question, is that the primary distinction atheists often make is between knowing and not knowing (gnostic and Agnostic).

The distinction that’s lacking is one between believing and believing. Between Agnostic atheists that believe god does not exist, and Agnostic atheists who merely lack a belief that God exists.

The only way anyone would be able to distinguish between the two is by asking the appropriate questions.

The word you are lacking is ASSUME!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-12-2017, 08:24 AM
At work.

I would not use such terminoligy Tomasia.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
27-12-2017, 08:27 AM
(27-12-2017 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A questions for atheists:

Do you lack a belief that God/s likely do not exist?

Do you lack a belief that the universe is unlikely to have been created?

I ask that you respond with a yes or no, to the above questions, which you can then explain or justify if you choose to.

No, I do believe God likely doesn't exist, and that no gods exist.

No, I do believe the universe is unlikely to have been created.

Those are rather clumsy and inelegant statements, however.

In other words, I don't believe in any God or gods. Some call this a lack of belief, but I prefer "disbelief." Or perhaps the phrase "informed opinion" is more accurate. But it also depends on which God concept you are considering. Like Gwaithmir, I am happy to say I know the Christian God can't possibly exist, but I simply disbelieve the deistic and pantheistic God concepts on the basis of my informed opinion.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-12-2017, 08:27 AM
(27-12-2017 08:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The only way anyone would be able to distinguish between the two is by asking the appropriate questions.

Do you believe no god exists or do you merely lack a belief in god(s)?
There that was easy. Drinking Beverage

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
27-12-2017, 08:28 AM
(27-12-2017 08:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Assuming something is light years different from believing it.

I don’t think so. Assuming might be lights years away from knowing but not believing.

If you weakly believe something is true, it would fairly synonymous with stating you assume it’s true.

Let’s give it some degree of certainty.

When I say I lack an assumption one way or the other in regards to your martial status, that would be akin to being 50/50.

Assuming you’re married (or single) puts me about the 50% mark.

If knowing is 100%. What percentage of confidence would you associate with a weak belief? How about an assumption?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2017, 08:29 AM
(27-12-2017 07:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
If you believe God doesn’t exist, you’re an atheists.

I could never and would never be an atheists.

I find the very notion syntactically offensive.

Angry

[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
27-12-2017, 08:34 AM
(27-12-2017 08:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(27-12-2017 08:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The only way anyone would be able to distinguish between the two is by asking the appropriate questions.

Do you believe no god exists or do you merely lack a belief in god(s)?
There that was easy. Drinking Beverage

Then I’d have to define what it means to merely lack a belief, and what it means to believe. Asking it as a question of likelihood was a means to limit having to do that. The definition is incorporated into the question. I understand it’s a cumbersomely composed one, but the whole idea of lack of belief seems cumbersomely composed, that i had I ask the question in such a way.

If you give too much wiggle room, people will wiggle the shit out of it to no end. Give to little and people tell you to fuck off, finding the right balance is difficult.