Belief in ghosts and other nonsense.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2015, 07:29 AM
RE: Belief in ghosts and other nonsense.
(09-03-2015 05:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 05:24 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  "We don't know what we don't know" sounds like splitting the baby out of a false sense of fairness. My point is there is lots we do know, and I am not afraid of scraping bad claims.

It is the same as saying "Technically since we have not lived the future monkeys might fly out of my ass". All I was saying was "I don't know" does not mean we have to cling to the past and bad claims.

If splitting the baby was not the intent of "We don't know what we don't know" then please clarify. Don't take that personally. Seriously I get that fence sitting from both theists and even pc atheists, all the time.

First of all, what is splitting the baby supposed to mean?

Secondly, exactly what past am I clinging to?

Thirdly, what about what I said has anything to do with religion?

"Splitting the baby" is simply sitting on the fence not choosing sides. This is falling for one's well intended sense of fairness from a social standpoint. But science does not treat all claims as equal by default. Our idea of equality is a human rights issue which is separate from the credibility of any given claim.

It has everything to do with religion. My point is, our species sense of empathy can cause us to protect bad ideas and bad claims. Rights and claims are separate issues.

If you have read the God Delusion you also need to add to that Victor Stenger's "God The Failed Hypothesis" and even morso Stenger's " The New Atheism" to understand what I am talking about.

I am simply warning readers not to allow theists to go "A HA, you admit you don't have all the answers" to say "Since you admit you don't know, my claims are true until you disprove them".

Now, again, that was not so much for you if you agree you were not doing that. But I do see both theists and atheists fence sit. If you agree it is ok to give up on bad claims, then don't let the theist shift the burden of proof.

We do have tons of scientific data that points to life being finite. We also have knowledge of humans having false perceptions. I am saying don't allow theists to play that game with you when you admit you don't know everything. If that is not what you were doing, then consider this a message to everyone else reading this.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I don't debate, so this doesn't affect me one way or another.

However, I would never claim to know something when I do not. That is one of the things I don't like about religion in the first place, they claim to know all sorts of stuff they don't.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Well, if you want to ghost hunt, here is a new and great way to do it. Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Kentucky used to be a place they would hold and treat sick tuberculosis patients before a cure was found. About 6,000 people died there and it is said to be very haunted. This place was even featured on Ghost Hunters. That are outfitting it into a hotel with restaurants and a museum of the places history.

http://www.nj.com/indulge/index.ssf/2015...hotel.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
12-03-2015, 08:34 AM
A couple of years ago I went to a haunted house at Disney World. It wasn't scary at all but it was pretty fuckin cool. Ghosts were projected onto a glass that made them look like they were in the room I was looking at. It was beautifully done. Later in a mirror image a ghost popped up behind my wife and me and switched our heads. It was great.
Those were the only ghosts I've ever seen.
Note: in case anyone assumes that I believe they were real ghosts.. I'm not a genius but I'm also not stupid. Fuck off! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
My apologies if this has been posted already...

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
07-04-2015, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 07:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(03-04-2015 12:31 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  My apologies if this has been posted already...

Scratches?

Uh, what scratches? And without evidence that his arm actually had discernible marks that were not caused prior to that moment or otherwise staged for the benefit of the story. Sorry, but I'm not taking your cut and edited footage at face value. Not in a world where reality TV is anything but.

Door closings?

Fucking hell, that shit is so easy to fake.

Orbs?

Ghosts and evil spirits are a far less probable explanation than user error, light interference from dust, or some other anomaly or artifact created by the shitty smart-phone camera itself.

Hands?

Fucking shadows...

Shadowman picture?

...Facepalm

The whole report was nothing more than an exercise in credulity. I expect more substantial acts of violence from my murderous specters and agents of Satan. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-11-2015, 10:34 PM
(03-04-2015 12:31 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  My apologies if this has been posted already...

I wonder if the ghost in that house ever tried to pull someone's pants down? That would be really funny to catch on camera. Why does it always have to be something scary like scratching, biting, pushing or doors closing? Why can't it be something nice like baking cookies or leaving a thank you note? Man ghosts are mean bastards.
Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes ronalddarcey's post
19-11-2015, 10:53 PM
What a buncha bullshit... Anyone else notice how these "spirit orbs" just started showing up a few years ago? I'm guessing it has something to do with new technology in cameras. I haven't been able to find any really old photos with them.
19-11-2015, 11:36 PM
If it were real they could make a fortune renting the place out. Who wouldn't want to spend a night there?