Poll: How do we get them to see the truth?
This poll is closed.
Peacefull reasoning 69.23% 9 69.23%
Full attack of facts 30.77% 4 30.77%
Total 13 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Belief vs Facts in the programed religious mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2016, 05:10 AM
RE: Belief vs Facts in the programed religious mind.
The King James Version?
The bible created via committee by the Church of England?
The church created by Henry VIII?

The variant of Christianity that was created because you can only murder so many spouses on trumped up charges.

Truly this must be the word of god. Drinking Beverage

Try:
Skeptics Annotated Bible

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-08-2016, 05:43 AM
(02-08-2016 01:44 AM)CDF47 Wrote:  Have any of you read the Bible? I mean the entire Book, beginning to end. Have you studied it yourselves? If not, test it out. If you are busy, try a combination of listening to it on the way to work and back and reading it. I suggest the King James Version. The audio and written YouVersion Bible app is available on nearly all the different mobile devices for free. If you don't want to take my word for it, take the LORD's word for it and read the Book and then listen.

I am in the middle of doing just that; I've read it before but not straight through so I wanted to be sure I had read it all.

The writing is bad, the stories inconsistent and often abhorrent, and the mythological aspects obvious. If I had any reason to believe that this yahweh character actually existed I'd be morally bound to oppose it as a sick, twisted, arrogant, malevolent, asshole. He reminds me of Trump.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
02-08-2016, 05:54 AM
(02-08-2016 05:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The writing is bad, the stories inconsistent and often abhorrent, and the mythological aspects obvious. If I had any reason to believe that this yahweh character actually existed I'd be morally bound to oppose it as a sick, twisted, arrogant, malevolent, asshole. He reminds me of Trump.

In the beginning was the Lord.

The Lord knew many words.

The Lord had the best words.

Word!

Lecture_preist

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
02-08-2016, 10:42 AM
(02-08-2016 05:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 01:44 AM)CDF47 Wrote:  Have any of you read the Bible? I mean the entire Book, beginning to end. Have you studied it yourselves? If not, test it out. If you are busy, try a combination of listening to it on the way to work and back and reading it. I suggest the King James Version. The audio and written YouVersion Bible app is available on nearly all the different mobile devices for free. If you don't want to take my word for it, take the LORD's word for it and read the Book and then listen.

I am in the middle of doing just that; I've read it before but not straight through so I wanted to be sure I had read it all.

The writing is bad, the stories inconsistent and often abhorrent, and the mythological aspects obvious. If I had any reason to believe that this yahweh character actually existed I'd be morally bound to oppose it as a sick, twisted, arrogant, malevolent, asshole. He reminds me of Trump.

I like the fun part where god kills 42 kids for teasing a bald guy. Those damned, fucking, evil, kids! They deserved to die!

And god said "It is good" Angel

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-08-2016, 11:21 AM
(02-08-2016 10:42 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I like the fun part where god kills 42 kids for teasing a bald guy. Those damned, fucking, evil, kids! They deserved to die!

And god said "It is good" Angel

I thought the slavery regulations were good.

The verses approving abortion should be posted on the doors of the modern clinics. Of course, the faithful would still have to read them...

All the baby killing parts are kind of sad. Blink

But then you have all the virgin raping... But actually, that's pretty fucked up. Shocking

Then there's Jepthah and his daughter. That has a happy ending... Oh wait, the kid gets burned alive. Gasp

Yeah. It's the "good" book... Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Have you ever read the Harry Potter series? I mean the entire series, beginning to end, including the movies. Have you studied it yourself? If not, test it out. If you are busy, try a combination of listening to it on the way to work and back and reading it. I suggest your read or listen the books first before the movies. There are several apps and a variety of discussion groups/forums available on nearly all the different mobile devices for free. If you don't want to take my word for it, take the author's word for it and read the series and then listen.

Or

Have you ever read the Lord of the Rings series, including the Silmarillion? I mean the entire series, beginning to end, including the movies. Have you studied it yourself? If not, test it out. If you are busy, try a combination of listening to it on the way to work and back and reading it. I suggest your read or listen the books first before the movies. There are several apps and a variety of discussion groups/forums available on nearly all the different mobile devices for free. If you don't want to take my word for it, take the author's word for it and read the series and then listen.

Praise be unto Gandalf the White who came to Middle Earth Gandalf the Grey but died and was resurrected to be reborn Gandalf the White.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm curious to know which of us here haven't read the entire Bible.

That's not even including those of us who have taken courses on the history of the Bible and Christian theology, which I've been surprised to learn is a fairly high number of us.

As has already been said, there's nothing like actually reading the Bible to produce an atheist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
(02-08-2016 03:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As has already been said, there's nothing like actually reading the Bible to produce an atheist.

Same could be said about competing belief system:

Who is a communist? -- Someone who read and believed Marx and Lenin. Who is an anticommunist? -- The one who read and understood them.

Ascribed to Reagan but I saw this in one of Viktor Suvorov books.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
02-08-2016, 03:27 PM
(02-08-2016 03:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm curious to know which of us here haven't read the entire Bible.

That's not even including those of us who have taken courses on the history of the Bible and Christian theology, which I've been surprised to learn is a fairly high number of us.

As has already been said, there's nothing like actually reading the Bible to produce an atheist.

I am trying to read it all the way through with unfogged. I have tried this before, but never gotten very far, because some parts are just so boring. Leviticus is one -- just endless rules about sacrifices and the proper way to do them. And Chronicles (where we are now) is another. The first 10 chapters or so were nothing but a big list of names.

I was raised Catholic and went to Mass every Sunday (and during the school year, daily) for many years. There are Bible readings at every Mass, and they rotate throughout the year, so you hear a great deal of the Bible that way -- but not all of it. There are certain parts that just aren't appropriate for mixed audiences, if you know what I mean. And they never read the boring parts.

So I would say that, one way or another, I've been exposed to at least half of it. But I can't claim to have ever read the whole thing.
02-08-2016, 10:23 PM
(02-08-2016 03:27 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I am trying to read it all the way through with unfogged. I have tried this before, but never gotten very far, because some parts are just so boring. Leviticus is one -- just endless rules about sacrifices and the proper way to do them. And Chronicles (where we are now) is another. The first 10 chapters or so were nothing but a big list of names.

I was raised Catholic and went to Mass every Sunday (and during the school year, daily) for many years. There are Bible readings at every Mass, and they rotate throughout the year, so you hear a great deal of the Bible that way -- but not all of it. There are certain parts that just aren't appropriate for mixed audiences, if you know what I mean. And they never read the boring parts.

So I would say that, one way or another, I've been exposed to at least half of it. But I can't claim to have ever read the whole thing.

Reading it straight through, cover-to-cover, isn't a good approach (for the reasons you mention). However, there are several good "read the Bible in a year" plans available online, and even in the back of most Bibles... you can just skip to the next day, if you come across a section that you already read during your "grind".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson