Poll: How do we get them to see the truth?
This poll is closed.
Peacefull reasoning 69.23% 9 69.23%
Full attack of facts 30.77% 4 30.77%
Total 13 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Belief vs Facts in the programed religious mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2017, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2017 04:22 PM by Vera.)
RE: Belief vs Facts in the programed religious mind.
You came back for this? Your life must be emptier than the Boötes Void. Your life or your head. Hard to tell which (not really though) Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-09-2017, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2017 04:23 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(26-09-2017 03:04 PM)CDF47 Wrote:  The Atheist Delusion Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWiZ3iXWwM

This is a very good movie if you can find about 1 hour to watch it for those that are interested.

Atheists have already heard these faulty arguments over and over again for years. So you're saying you don't think we have heard them quite enough yet? Right?
26-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Great opening post by larrymccall010513.

Two things mainly brought me into the atheist fold.

Firstly my love of nature and wildlife which started my interest in natural science. The second was all the terrorist attacks which have made this a much more urgent issue now.

As I come from the LGBT community I was already very aware of the amount of prejudice in society, largely caused by the out of date moral standards of the christian bible. Gradually I began to see more and more of the ways religion has caused enormous harm to society over thousands of years.

In addition to the added urgency because of terrorism, I also see another threat emerging which we cannot allow to go unchallenged. As a member of the LGBT community, I am very passionate about the issue of inclusiveness and being able to accept difference. Unfortunately, the major downside of that is the trend towards greater tolerance of religion which I believe will likely encourage more people to opt to take up some form of religious faith.

The positive thing for us has been the decline in the numbers of religious believers which has been due to improved levels of education. However, this trend could easily be reversed.

In my view the biggest battleground has to be getting religious education out of schools completely. Reducing childhood indoctrination will hugely reduce the number of people who go on to be believers in adult life.

Also, although I am not one of the anti-immigration brigade, we must encourage them to leave their religion at the door to make sure we don’t go importing it in huge numbers.
26-09-2017, 10:54 PM
(26-09-2017 05:02 PM)MarylinC Wrote:  Also, although I am not one of the anti-immigration brigade, we must encourage them to leave their religion at the door to make sure we don’t go importing it in huge numbers.

I think you're far more likely to face a resurgence of religion under Trump - the threat to the LGBT community from the Christian/Authoritarian right is far greater IMO. Policing people's thoughts is never a good look and is never gonna work anyway. How the hell would you tell?

Also terrorism isn't nearly the threat that it's made out to be, at least in the Western world. It's just... terrifying... which makes it a handy thing for politicians to trot out whenever they can. The more incidents the better, from the point of view of the hardline war hawks of the world. Incidents just convince people to funnel more money into the war effort.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-09-2017, 12:15 AM
(26-09-2017 10:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think you're far more likely to face a resurgence of religion under Trump - the threat to the LGBT community from the Christian/Authoritarian right is far greater IMO. Policing people's thoughts is never a good look and is never gonna work anyway. How the hell would you tell?

Also terrorism isn't nearly the threat that it's made out to be, at least in the Western world. It's just... terrifying... which makes it a handy thing for politicians to trot out whenever they can. The more incidents the better, from the point of view of the hardline war hawks of the world. Incidents just convince people to funnel more money into the war effort.

I live in London, UK and we have had 4 attacks in the last 6 months. Plus seeing the bombing of children at a pop concert at Manchester Arena. The effect that's having in our Country on ordinary people is that it is causing a real divide in our Country and an upsurge of racial attacks and growing support for the far right. Everyone is now having to be far more diligent and aware of the possibility of terrorism so yeah, I would say it's a threat. It's those growing levels of anger and hate that are the threat. How do you think Trump made it to the White House. All this divide and rule plays right into the hands of people like him.

After each terrorist attack we see all the different forms of faith leaders coming together and wringing their hands saying how awful it is and acting like it has nothing to do with them.

Well I've got news for them. It has. That's why it's called 'religious violence'.
[+] 1 user Likes MarylinC's post
27-09-2017, 01:32 AM
(27-09-2017 12:15 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  After each terrorist attack we see all the different forms of faith leaders coming together and wringing their hands saying how awful it is and acting like it has nothing to do with them.

Well I've got news for them. It has. That's why it's called 'religious violence'.

What would you have them do?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-09-2017, 02:06 AM
(27-09-2017 01:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 12:15 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  After each terrorist attack we see all the different forms of faith leaders coming together and wringing their hands saying how awful it is and acting like it has nothing to do with them.

What would you have them do?

Spread the message that it's time for theists to put away their reigious books and stop ramming made up religious nonsense into vulnerable childrens heads.
27-09-2017, 04:43 AM
@MarylinC

Terrorism indeed is a threat but compared to risk of car crash or health issues it is marginal, if widely "advertised" as fear of terror attack allows gov to further restrict citizens freedom*.

*Like Poland heavy handed "anti-terrorist" law made in response to incodents abroad.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-09-2017, 07:26 AM
(27-09-2017 02:06 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 01:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  What would you have them do?

Spread the message that it's time for theists to put away their reigious books and stop ramming made up religious nonsense into vulnerable childrens heads.

... Spread the Word, in other words?

27-09-2017, 05:10 PM
(26-09-2017 03:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  You came back for this? Your life must be emptier than the Boötes Void. Your life or your head. Hard to tell which (not really though) Drinking Beverage

I come back because I care for you. I don't understand atheism. DNA is the code of life and the belief that nothing created everything is impossible.

The LORD Exists: http://www.godandscience.org/
Intelligent Design (Short Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
Intelligent Design (Longer Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8